The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Moon lake  (Read 15450 times)

Offline timothymills2012

• IceShanty Rookie
Moon lake
« on: Jan 26, 2012, 06:38 PM »
 Was just wondering if any of you gentleman ice fish moon lake?My friend has a family camp up there.He has fished it in the summer month but he's new to the Ice Fishing scene!Would just like to know if it would be worth the drive up.Thanks!!

Offline Rebelfisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hook 'em and Cook 'em...TAKE IT TO THE LIMIT!
Re: Moon lake
« Reply #1 on: Jan 26, 2012, 06:57 PM »
check the moon lake reports and conditions thread..you'll get some more info there since I just posted there a few days ago....I live minutes from there...A LONG story short...Moon lake is a county park...our corrupt county is essentially bankrupt and they "closed" the park as in layed off the entire staff . Closed is a term used loosely since they open it for fishing BUT only between 7am and sunset  (sunset to the county means 430pm no matter the season until summer) They employ 1 security guard who MAY or MAY NOT show up to open the park. I guess it depends if the weather is good or if in fact he feels like driving up there...Id say on most (90%) occassions it is openned...but like I mentioned, dont expect to get into a morning or evening bite there.

As far as fishing, great place for bass, pickerel, gills and calico..perch are there but not in great numbers...the state stocks it with tiny trout too if you're into that..Its a bowl shaped lake with 16 feet really pushin the limits on depth. good luck if you go..ice was just barely 4" last weekend and we had some rain so Im not sure what its like now.

Ice Fisherman Walk on Water!

Offline salmonrebel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ya' gotta kill it !, To grill it !
« Reply #2 on: Feb 01, 2012, 12:58 PM »
There has been ongoing meetings about fully opening up the park within a couple years. But, don't personally know what the outcome of these meetings ended up with. As there last meeting was held in Dec, as far as it was originally scheduled.
Since then, there has been more budget cuts....and yea, ya probably know where I'm going....Moon Lake was among those budget cuts! So, God knows what their plans are now?! Although, it sure seems that they're not cutting any funds when it has anything to do with urban developement! Sure do miss not being able to go there and utilize that beautiful little piece of paradise to what I grew up to it being for our community/county since I was a little kid. It is truely a treasure in Luzerne county that shouldn't be wasted or thrown away for our future. Any of these county officials don't get off their duffs and do the right thing there, they should be executed as far as I'm concerned! >:(

WHACK'EM!!! AN STACK'EM!!!

Offline charlijones

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 01, 2012, 04:11 PM »
Can we begin a public awareness campaign or petition the press and the powers that be to voice our concern over the park?

Offline Rebelfisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 01, 2012, 04:13 PM »
Can we begin a public awareness campaign or petition the press and the powers that be to voice our concern over the park?

good thinkin, BUT, you're forgetting one thing...luzerne county is CORRUPT!! :roflmao:

Offline salmonrebel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 01, 2012, 04:30 PM »
I'm all for anything that would help, Charliejones. But, with the politics involved...good luck. As I have seen a petition to save the park, in which I posted on here and MFF last year. An many signed on. Since then, they had the meetings...and as far as I know, we're just sitting in limbo ever since waiting for an answer. I'm gonna try diggin up the archives in the local papers, to see exactly how the meetings ended up. I will post the articles here, when I get them.
The last I heard was....they were gonna reinstate Charlie Madrack as the park director an reopen the park. But, we're still waiting.

Offline Rebelfisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Feb 01, 2012, 05:31 PM »
As far as Im concerned COUNTY GOVERNMENT cannot and should not run parks...In my opinion, I believe the best case scenario would be the STATE taking control of it and turning it into a state park. I dont think we will see that happen as last I heard they are "actively" seeking a private investor to run and operate the park to generate revenue.

Offline Ski Hunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gut eyes? =)
« Reply #7 on: Feb 01, 2012, 07:45 PM »
As far as Im concerned COUNTY GOVERNMENT cannot and should not run parks...In my opinion, I believe the best case scenario would be the STATE taking control of it and turning it into a state park. I dont think we will see that happen as last I heard they are "actively" seeking a private investor to run and operate the park to generate revenue.

couldn't agree more, especially when you consider just how corrupt our elected officials are in this county  :-\
Proud to be Pro Staff!!!    Gut cookies?

Walleye count for 2015    21 landed up to 25"

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Feb 01, 2012, 07:52 PM »
It will probably end up being sold to a developer and turned into a gated community like half the lakes in the Pocono area. I guess the people from NJ, Philly and NYC need some place to live. ::)

Offline salmonrebel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Feb 03, 2012, 12:36 PM »
It will probably end up being sold to a developer and turned into a gated community like half the lakes in the Pocono area. I guess the people from NJ, Philly and NYC need some place to live. ::)
Actually, I don't think that's possible. As, when this park was purchased in the 1960's....It was purchased as "Land Conservation" in the writtings when the county got it from the landowner.
But, I'm sure....if they could get away with it....they would dump it in a heart beat, because obviously they don't care too much about it. Otherwise, it would of never been neglected in the first place.
That's bs too, that they can't generate any revenue from it. Between the campground, pool, boat/pedelboat rentals, and pavilions. There is plenty of revenue to be made. As we all knew, there was always something going on out there, the pool was always packed, and you were lucky to get a campsite due to how many camped there through the season.
One thing I didn't like, when Madrak ran the park....besides the widowmakers on the campsites not being cut down :o...was, you had to wait well into late spring/early summer before the campsites were open! Years past, many would be camping as early as the week leading up to the first day of trout...and it would be open on thru late October from what I remember. Although, there's no money to be made. ::) 
If they bring in a private firm to run the park, that wouldn't be good either.
Because, all their mind would be on is, making money any way possible without true care of the park in mind. Although, obviously....the elected have no care either! >:(
I do agree with RF. The state would probably be the best for the park Although, don't see that happening due to the economy.
It's a simple fact, that infuriates me!....If it has to do with urban developent, these scumbags will move mountains for it! But, what has been important to us that grew up in this region and appreciated for many years is now being neglected for city developement! I have about had it already with the CITY crap in every shape and form. Keep the concrete jungle where it belongs! If you don't like it, I don't care! You don't belong here!
Sorry for the rant, but I've had enough with the overall grand scheme of things already.

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Feb 03, 2012, 02:10 PM »
A developer with enough money and contacts can grease wheels and get zoning changed in their favor. Its even easier to do so with corrupt people who oversee the county. It would indeed be better for the state to take it over the problem is they don't exactly have the funding now either. Lets face it having parks and lakes does not bring in tax revenue like development does. All these people who sit on the township, county and etc care about is expansion and keeping the money coming in regardless if the local resurces can handle it or not. It is like that country wide, some areas (like the cities) are just worse than others.

Offline salmonrebel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Feb 03, 2012, 02:23 PM »
I'll try not to rant again. I apologise to y'all for it.
A couple of days ago, I had mentioned that I would try an dig up, what came from those meetings in the archives of the local paper. Below, are the articles I found. Looks like no camping, til at least 2013. :(

Article in which came from the first meeting:

Snow tubing. Rock climbing. A zip line. A giant inflatable ball that rolls down a chute with up to three riders inside.

click image to enlargeDave Broden, Plymouth, from the Wyoming Valley RC Flyers, was among 40 Luzerne County residents who shared ideas about Moon Lake Park at a meeting Thursday.

PETE G. WILCOX/THE TIMES LEADER

click image to enlargeLuzerne County Chief Engineer Joe Gibbons, at right, moderated Thursday’s meeting to seek public input about the future of county-owned Moon Lake Park.

PETE G. WILCOX/THE TIMES LEADER

Select images available for purchase in the
Times Leader Photo Store
Moon Lake Park Expenses, revenue

Expenses: $356,064

Revenue: $84,084

Expenses: $234,167

Revenue: $38,912

Expenses: $134,772

Revenue: $3,080

Source: Luzerne County Controller’s Office
These are some of the crowd-attracting activities Massachusetts architect Varoujan Hagopian suggested as possibilities for Moon Lake Park during a two-hour, public master planning session about the Luzerne County-owned facility Thursday night.

“I’m going to throw some ideas out. You tell me if they are crazy or not,” Hagopian told the 40 area residents gathered at the county Emergency Management Agency building in Wilkes-Barre.

Most of the group seemed intrigued.

Many of the ideas suggested to that point were traditional, such as adding soccer fields and ice skating, and restoring camping and swimming.

To be successful, the park also needs some progressive activities that appeal to all ages and generate revenue to cover ongoing maintenance without burdening taxpayers, he said.

Hagopian said his children believe rock climbing is the “cat’s meow” and got him to enjoy the sport.

A zip line would work well at the Plymouth Township park because of the topography, he said. Riders would fasten into a harness or seat and ride the line at a high speed, slowing as the line levels out at a platform at the end. Zip lines are growing in popularity.

The meeting was called to prepare a master plan required to obtain future government grants for the park.

Another public meeting will be held in the future to summarize possible improvements and their estimated costs. The state may cover 50 percent of the cost of recreational improvements at the facility once the master plan is completed, though it will be up to the county to fund maintenance, a state official said.

County Chief Engineer Joe Gibbons said private companies may also be interested in handling particular functions, such as food concessions, to keep the expense off taxpayers and generate revenue for park maintenance.

The public is permitted to use the park for hiking, biking, fishing, cross country skiing and other activities, though camping and swimming remain off limits due to budget cuts.

The 650-acre park had closed in January 2010 because of the county’s money problems, but the facility reopened with scaled-back amenities that March.

Janine Dymond, Exeter Township, is an avid mountain biker and said the trails that already exist at the park are “awesome.” She suggested an organized dog park with dog-training programs.

Carol Hussa, who works at the Wilkes-Barre YMCA, said the park should be marketed as a site for weddings and company picnics. The park’s nature center should be kept and improved and promoted as a resource for the 11 school districts in the county, she said.

Wilkes-Barre resident Brian Ferry raved about the park’s biking trails and “beautiful views.”

County Sheriff John Gilligan said there may be room at the park for a shooting range because there is a demand for one.

Michelle Windwalker, Hunlock Creek, said the park has trails that may be used by all ages and praised the park’s “absolutely pristine” wetlands. She said she regularly spots eagles and other animals at the park.

Alistair McIntosh, who works with Hagopian at Sasaki Associates, said the park’s natural features must be respected and won’t be modified in the master plan prepared by his company. Instead, the plan should require identification and explanation of those natural attributes to visitors, he said.

Gibbons, who conducted the meeting, stressed the county won’t sell the park to private developers or lease the land or lake to natural gas drilling companies – possibilities that have been discussed in the past.

Gibbons said he spent many childhood days camping and fishing at the park and wants to restore it for future generations.

“Moon Lake is an absolute gem,” Gibbons said. “It just has enormous opportunity, and we’re all very connected to it.”

Read more: http://www.timesleader.com/news/A_newer__glitzier_Moon_Lake_envisioned_07-28-2011.html?searchterm=moon+lake+meetings#ixzz1lLqQ4daJ

Below is the article on the second meeting:

WILKES-BARRE – From the swimming pool to the trails and nature center much of Moon Lake Park needs work, but the consultants hired to put together a master plan for the Luzerne County-owned property said it has a lot to build upon to make it better and self-sustaining.

“Our view is that Moon Lake Park is a great park,” said Alistair T. McIntosh, a principal of Sasaki Associates Inc., the Watertown, Mass., consulting firm hired to complete the master plan.

He and architect Varoujan Hagopian, also of Sasaki, were among the speakers during a nearly two-hour public meeting Wednesday night at the Burke Auditorium in King’s College’s McGowan School of Business.

McIntosh presented a “wish list” of improvements at the 650-acre park in Plymouth Township, including expanded camping areas, a water slide, summer sports camps, snow tubing, shooting and archery ranges, and converting the superintendent’s house to a nature center.

The meeting, attended by approximately 40 people, was the second of three planned to gather information to develop the master plan update. After the completion of the update by the end of the year, the third public meeting will be scheduled for sometime early next year, said county Chief Engineer Joe Gibbons.

“Sustainability is the top priority,” he said.

The county is looking for ways to generate revenue from those who use the park in order to maintain it, he said.

Activities such as camping and swimming have been eliminated due to budget cuts, but the park is open for hiking, mountain biking, fishing and cross-country skiing, among others things.

After the first meeting in July, the consultants compiled a list of the top activities people would like to do at the park.

Camping was ranked highest on the list, said Gibbons, followed by swimming, the trail system, fishing, nature education, special events, shooting and archery, sports camps, snow tubing, ice skating, rock climbing, a dog park, zip lines, disc golf and flying radio-controlled aircraft.

At the earliest, camping could resume in 2013, said Gibbons.

Based on the update, the county would implement the plan in phases after getting approval from the state Department of Conservation and Natural Resources and seeking state funds for the improvements.

“Do you have any cost projections?” asked Rick Williams of Kingston, an architect with Williams, Kinsman & Lewis Architecture and newly elected member to the county council.

“The cost projections will be coming,” said Gibbons.

Read more: http://www.timesleader.com/news/Moon_Lake_Park_rsquo_s_future_is_explored_11-09-2011.html#ixzz1lLfDomgk

Wanta see a rundown on how many county employees we have in Luzerne co. and their salaries?!
I knew there was alot, but when I was looking for info on the Moon Lake meetings and saw it in with the other articles that came up....my jaws dropped.
And ya wonder why we're broke?....besides the corruption.
That's just Luzerne co.! ::)
Below, is the directlink to the article:

http://www.timesleader.com/news/County_courts_face_huge_cuts_12-02-2011.html?searchterm=moon+lake

I couldn't find anything else on the third meeting?... Maybe they didn't have it due to the Budget cuts?!...Who knows?...I couldn't find anything else. If anyone finds info on the third meeting, please post it. As, many of us are wondering what the furure of our park is.

Below this is a directlink to Luzerne co's website. In case anyone would like to search anymore on this or on anything else:
http://www.luzernecounty.org/county/news/moon-lake-park-master-site-development-plan-public-meeting

Offline salmonrebel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Feb 03, 2012, 02:33 PM »
A developer with enough money and contacts can grease wheels and get zoning changed in their favor. Its even easier to do so with corrupt people who oversee the county. It would indeed be better for the state to take it over the problem is they don't exactly have the funding now either. Lets face it having parks and lakes does not bring in tax revenue like development does. All these people who sit on the township, county and etc care about is expansion and keeping the money coming in regardless if the local resurces can handle it or not. It is like that country wide, some areas (like the cities) are just worse than others.
You are right on with your post, Dkfry.
And yes, it is country wide. Corruption is totally outta control thru our whole country in almost, if not every corner of it these days. One thing's for sure. There are an awful lot of people here in our county demanding our park staying as a park for the community for the future. If any corrupt official thinks they'll get away with selling our park to developers, there will be alot of people out there comin for him/her.
And maybe I should take back my comment from before.
When I said, "they should be executed." As I think y'all knew I meant that, not in a literal sense. But, man...will there be people up at arms, so to speak...if our park is givin to a developer.

Offline charlijones

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Feb 03, 2012, 04:52 PM »
Good posts, very informative,  "The last I heard was....they were gonna reinstate Charlie Madrack as the park director an reopen the park. But, we're still waiting."   You mean Cliff?  Madrake   If they eliminated his salary and let the fish commission run it with a 24 hour launch we'd be much better off.  I'd love to hit that at night in the summer with a jitterbug.

Last time I was there was a few years ago, it took 15 minutes for old Cliff to get off his butt and set me up with a boat rental, the thing leaked all day, when I returned it I told him about the leak and he was like, yeah, whatever, lol   My friend is a prison guard and they took prisoners out there to do some work and he witnessed Cliff smashing a brand new chain saw he was having problems with  ::)  Wasn't this same guy convicted of stealing public funds in plymouth?

Offline Rebelfisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Feb 03, 2012, 05:40 PM »
dont know if he was convicted of stealing funds, but SR is talking about Cliff and he is from Plymouth.

I would love to be able to fish that at night....A few years back a buddy of mine lived on Pavlick road and used to sneak in there to fish it at night for calico...said the action was intense.

Offline Ski Hunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gut eyes? =)
« Reply #15 on: Feb 03, 2012, 06:19 PM »
dont know if he was convicted of stealing funds, but SR is talking about Cliff and he is from Plymouth.

I would love to be able to fish that at night....A few years back a buddy of mine lived on Pavlick road and used to sneak in there to fish it at night for calico...said the action was intense.

I could only imagine how much fun that lake would be at night...some nice callies in there  :)   then again it probably wouldn't take long for them to get fished out if they did allow 24 hour fishing since it is a small lake

Offline Rebelfisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Feb 03, 2012, 06:41 PM »
I could only imagine how much fun that lake would be at night...some nice callies in there  :)   then again it probably wouldn't take long for them to get fished out if they did allow 24 hour fishing since it is a small lake
ya know...it probably would be crowded at first, but over time it would probably look like any other lake you can night fish...I do roughly 50% of my fishing at night (for obvious reasons) and Im sure you know as well as I know...you have the lake to yourselves most of the time.

Offline Ski Hunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gut eyes? =)
« Reply #17 on: Feb 03, 2012, 07:35 PM »
ya know...it probably would be crowded at first, but over time it would probably look like any other lake you can night fish...I do roughly 50% of my fishing at night (for obvious reasons) and Im sure you know as well as I know...you have the lake to yourselves most of the time.

over time I'm sure it'd get much less crowded, but would it be because the new opportunity to fish it all night wore off or because the fishing became mediocre?

over the summer I do almost all my fishing after dark, not to avoid crowds so much but because I'm usually fishing for walleyes and stripers/ hybrid stripers which are primarily nocturnal...when the bite is on for them both by mid June or so you will still see quite a few boats out on the water targeting them

Offline Rebelfisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Feb 03, 2012, 08:06 PM »
over time I'm sure it'd get much less crowded, but would it be because the new opportunity to fish it all night wore off or because the fishing became mediocre?

over the summer I do almost all my fishing after dark, not to avoid crowds so much but because I'm usually fishing for walleyes and stripers/ hybrid stripers which are primarily nocturnal...when the bite is on for them both by mid June or so you will still see quite a few boats out on the water targeting them

who really knows? I think thats just REALLY wishful thinkin right now...I just want the park to reopen once again.. ;D
speaking of...any word on ice conditions there?  Im headin up to Jean tomorrow since thats one the few safe places besides wayne co

Offline Ski Hunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gut eyes? =)
« Reply #19 on: Feb 04, 2012, 02:31 AM »
who really knows? I think thats just REALLY wishful thinkin right now...I just want the park to reopen once again.. ;D
speaking of...any word on ice conditions there?  Im headin up to Jean tomorrow since thats one the few safe places besides wayne co

I'm the same way....spent quite a bit of time ice fishing it in my younger years when I used to spend the weekends out here...now I'm living out here and can't even enjoy it  :-\

I'd find it extremely hard to believe the ice would be any good on Moon right now but I haven't personally checked it. I know Harris Pond and Frances Slocum are both shot and those are the 2 lakes nearby I spent the most time on this season

Offline salmonrebel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Feb 06, 2012, 01:55 PM »
Good posts, very informative,  "The last I heard was....they were gonna reinstate Charlie Madrack as the park director an reopen the park. But, we're still waiting."   You mean Cliff?  Madrake   If they eliminated his salary and let the fish commission run it with a 24 hour launch we'd be much better off.  I'd love to hit that at night in the summer with a jitterbug.

Last time I was there was a few years ago, it took 15 minutes for old Cliff to get off his butt and set me up with a boat rental, the thing leaked all day, when I returned it I told him about the leak and he was like, yeah, whatever, lol   My friend is a prison guard and they took prisoners out there to do some work and he witnessed Cliff smashing a brand new chain saw he was having problems with  ::)  Wasn't this same guy convicted of stealing public funds in plymouth?
Yea, I agree with ya, Charlie. And sure would like to see us to be able to use the place 24hrs.
I too had some issues with Cliff as the park director. Along with many others, I question the guy's charactor too....I think your right about the stealing public funds. Heard thru the grapevine plenty of negative things about him for a number of years.
I'm also friends with one of the old guards that used to be up there with the prior park director(in which Cliff backstabbed, to get his position). I forget what her name was at the moment? But,...to me...she was always very good with the public and ran the park very well within her means. Her biggest down-fall was that she trusted her employees too much, and when some of them lied about hours worked, it came back on her and caused her to lose her job. In which, was brought on by a rat known as,....well you know who ;)....in which was one of the biggest culprits to getting paid for not being there!
I don't know all the details... But, once Cliff became park director, he started harrassing that guard(as he was good friends with the previous director) that I had previously mentioned. I know it came to a head, and he(the guard) filed a suit against him(Madrack). The guard I am talking about was givin another job in the county, the other details I'm not sure of. But, I do know the guy I'm talking about(the guard) was/is a very good charactor guy....As my dad was friends with him for many years. Plus, everyone I know that goes out there has said the same thing about that guy(Madrack)....lazy and arrogant....and some other comments I won't post here.
Some people get some authority and let it get to their head. ::) I myself reminded him on a few occassions...when I was confronted by this guy, that the park is the people's and not his!....As with the position, as park director....does come with some authority, but it doesn't come with the thinking that you go around like you own the park. The people in Luzerne county do!
And yea,...sorry for the misprint in previous posts. I meant Cliff Madrack.

Offline salmonrebel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Feb 07, 2012, 02:06 PM »
And they can't find anyone else to run that park, if/when they do?!
I guess, it's like how that old saying goes....It's either who you know or who you....?!

Offline Rebelfisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Feb 07, 2012, 04:00 PM »
And they can't find anyone else to run that park, if/when they do?!
I guess, it's like how that old saying goes....It's either who you know or who you....?!

dont forget Ed, the place IS a money pit....take a look at the countys revenue vs expenditures on the park...and you know as well as I know that the county didnt OVERSPEND at the park...Why is someone going to invest their time, labor and money into something they cant MAKE a profit out of...would you? probably not. sad, but true. And one other thing...the place has been robbed numerous times since it was closed...ALL COPPER PIPES are GONE from every building and the pool was left to go to hell....renovations alone would jack up the cost even more.  I just dont see who is going to invest all of that...especially in this economy  :-\

on the bright side, a few days ago the county engineer, Joe Gibbons, did mention that a deal with the park may be coming soon and he did state that the park "is a jewel" and "not be taken for granted" ...hopefully...we will see... :-\

Offline salmonrebel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Feb 10, 2012, 01:01 PM »
dont forget Ed, the place IS a money pit....take a look at the countys revenue vs expenditures on the park...and you know as well as I know that the county didnt OVERSPEND at the park...Why is someone going to invest their time, labor and money into something they cant MAKE a profit out of...would you? probably not. sad, but true. And one other thing...the place has been robbed numerous times since it was closed...ALL COPPER PIPES are GONE from every building and the pool was left to go to hell....renovations alone would jack up the cost even more.  I just dont see who is going to invest all of that...especially in this economy  :-\

on the bright side, a few days ago the county engineer, Joe Gibbons, did mention that a deal with the park may be coming soon and he did state that the park "is a jewel" and "not be taken for granted" ...hopefully...we will see... :-\
Yea... your correct, Joel.
The sad fact is, it's all about money(revenue). :(  I guess, it's just that when you've come accustomed to being able to go out there all your life, ya expect it to be available for what you've come to utilize it for over the years.
Thanks for the other info. Hopefully something good comes outta what is being planned out there.

Offline draketrutta

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Feb 11, 2012, 10:14 AM »
Yea, I agree with ya, Charlie. And sure would like to see us to be able to use the place 24hrs.
I too had some issues with Cliff as the park director. Along with many others, I question the guy's charactor too....I think your right about the stealing public funds. Heard thru the grapevine plenty of negative things about him for a number of years.
I'm also friends with one of the old guards that used to be up there with the prior park director(in which Cliff backstabbed, to get his position). I forget what her name was at the moment? But,...to me...she was always very good with the public and ran the park very well within her means. Her biggest down-fall was that she trusted her employees too much, and when some of them lied about hours worked, it came back on her and caused her to lose her job. In which, was brought on by a rat known as,....well you know who ;)....in which was one of the biggest culprits to getting paid for not being there!
I don't know all the details... But, once Cliff became park director, he started harrassing that guard(as he was good friends with the previous director) that I had previously mentioned. I know it came to a head, and he(the guard) filed a suit against him(Madrack). The guard I am talking about was givin another job in the county, the other details I'm not sure of. But, I do know the guy I'm talking about(the guard) was/is a very good charactor guy....As my dad was friends with him for many years. Plus, everyone I know that goes out there has said the same thing about that guy(Madrack)....lazy and arrogant....and some other comments I won't post here.
Some people get some authority and let it get to their head. ::) I myself reminded him on a few occassions...when I was confronted by this guy, that the park is the people's and not his!....As with the position, as park director....does come with some authority, but it doesn't come with the thinking that you go around like you own the park. The people in Luzerne county do!
And yea,...sorry for the misprint in previous posts. I meant Cliff Madrack.

Best course is for the State to Buy the place, turn it into a State Park and run it with minimal amenities for the time being - given the budget situation, then as things turn around, expand services - boat rental, fix up a building for environmental cener, etc....

The thieves that ran that place (and stayed in the free county provided crib were/still are - nitwits - inclusinghe lady that allowed her employees free reign of the time reports... (funny how you only see stuff like that in the govt work sector -vs- private enterprise).

later

Offline salmonrebel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Feb 13, 2012, 01:39 PM »

Best course is for the State to Buy the place, turn it into a State Park and run it with minimal amenities for the time being - given the budget situation, then as things turn around, expand services - boat rental, fix up a building for environmental cener, etc....

The thieves that ran that place (and stayed in the free county provided crib were/still are - nitwits - inclusinghe lady that allowed her employees free reign of the time reports... (funny how you only see stuff like that in the govt work sector -vs- private enterprise).

later
How true....Don't see the state taken over anytime soon though. With the economy, it will not take on another park. Who knows about the future though?

Offline On thin ice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Feb 13, 2012, 06:54 PM »
Moon Lake has some nice bass but the panfish are usually small.

Offline draketrutta

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Feb 13, 2012, 11:24 PM »
How true....Don't see the state taken over anytime soon though. With the economy, it will not take on another park. Who knows about the future though?

who knows, I wonder how the PGC afforded to purchase a tract of land that will soon be known as SGL206 - adjacnt to SGL 207 in the Mountain Top/I81/Rte 309 corridor... 438 acres of land don't come too cheap. The ink is barely dry on the deal...

All I know is, whatever Luzerne County officials touch these days -  it turns to scat.

Offline charlijones

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Feb 14, 2012, 02:38 AM »
"who knows, I wonder how the PGC afforded to purchase a tract of land that will soon be known as SGL206"

Tax Sale?

Offline Rebelfisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Feb 14, 2012, 08:56 AM »
I applaud the game commission on aquiring land...its our money anyway. Like you said, better than developers snatching it up.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.