The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: IFPA tournaments chat area  (Read 22082 times)

Offline flyboyroy

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: IFPA tournaments chat area
« Reply #30 on: Jan 27, 2010, 10:43 AM »
yup. ;) will be my first. ;D

That would definitely be more in my price range.  100 bucks is a bit steep for me right now.  At that price I would rather just fish for fun :-)

Offline THE Spud

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Jan 28, 2010, 11:53 AM »
Tournment is ON for sunday see icefishingpa.com for details FRED
Join us on the 2013 Vermont Sportsmen's Tournament Series and The Northeast Icefishing Circuit .

Offline Ronbo

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • fish hog
« Reply #32 on: Jan 29, 2010, 09:52 PM »
SPUD BTECHVFT70 AND I WERE OUT ON MAIN LAKE ICE WAS A GOOD 5.5-6 INCHES EVERY WHERE WE CHECKED

Offline Byron/PA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #33 on: Jan 31, 2010, 06:57 PM »
Just a couple IceShanty regulars that did well at Walker and should be proud,,,,,,,,,, C.C. , Marshrat, Panfishishpounder, Ronbo, Spud, Btechvt70, IceAdiction and others, sorry if I missed you, fill in the details............... .............I'm as beat as you are
80% of Americans are unhappy with the direction our once great Country is heading. Yet 80% of Americans insist on buying blue jeans that were made in China, coffee filters that were made in Taiwan and anything else that was made anywhere but here........wonder if there might be a connection?

Offline JiggerMan

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • one of my future ice buddies
« Reply #34 on: Jan 31, 2010, 07:47 PM »
i dont know how people are comming up with 100 bucks for each tourney they enter.  thats thats all i can shell out for two weeks of gas and maybe if im lucky some baut to stop and fish a little. 

Must be some lucky people out there.

RGIII keeps a bench mighty warm

Offline btechvft70

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Jan 31, 2010, 10:21 PM »
I know the entry fee may seem a little steep but I urge everybody to come out even if you don't fish just come see what it's all about
Dave

Offline flyboyroy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #36 on: Feb 01, 2010, 04:51 AM »
If you were to start a discussion on the pros and cons of fishing tournaments you would probably get  a lot of flaming posts.

I had some friends  that did well in the Walker tourney - - I'm happy for them, but  I still don't know what to think about the whole idea of the competitive fishing thing.   The rules of the tourney are necessary because  when you have money involved  people would (might) tend to cheat to win.    But I don't think I want to take my kid fishing and have  him learn to fish according to the tournament rules. ( dont  talk to anyone, dont  help anyone, dont  get more than a few steps away from your partner).

I know these rules are necessary because there is money involved.  I dont  have a problem with guys  entering  the tourneys, either. You have some good fishermen out there, and you could learn a few things   by going out and watching them.    It just that  I would rather  fish with these same guys on a non-tournament day when the only thing at stake is  having fun and not making money. 

But if you guys like the idea of having a derby once in a while -- - I wish you well.   Maybe I'll change my mind and enter on someday.  It  would make the  pot a little bigger  for  you  really talented gents :-)       

Now if you were going to have a derby for kids.  Maybe  have  all the regulars kick in  just a little  for some  prizes, or a big pot of hot chocolate,  and  grill some hot dogs  for them.  Have  tournament officials  that  would help the kids unhook fish and  show them a few pointers.   Have some shantys  heated up  where the kids could  get warmed up once they get  froze.      And  reward them for helping each other as opposed to not allowing  conversation.     Now that might be a tournament  that would  help  promote the sport. 

Offline C.C.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • DO NOT BE AFRAID !!!!
« Reply #37 on: Feb 01, 2010, 07:27 AM »
i dont know how people are comming up with 100 bucks for each tourney they enter.  thats thats all i can shell out for two weeks of gas and maybe if im lucky some baut to stop and fish a little. 

Must be some lucky people out there.
Dave, I'm not pointing this at you by any means so don't take it that way. If a guy wants to fish say 2 tournys with a partner and get in the big fish pot thats $240 to split. Your share of that is less than 33 cents a day(that sounds like an insurance commercial). Everyone plan ahead and save your pennies for next year.  I don't know about everyone else but I blow way more than that on stupid crap daily. This weekend at Walker, every team had 7 chances to win. They paid 3 places, then big fish, then 3 very good door prizes.

Offline isthereiceyet89

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "the Green Hornet strikes again!!!"
« Reply #38 on: Feb 01, 2010, 03:25 PM »
who won the walker's tourny and with what?... ididnt get to make it out :(

Offline THE Spud

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #39 on: Feb 01, 2010, 03:42 PM »
First Place Jay and Jeff Second Place Panfishpounder and JuniataBassman Third place The Spud and Btechvft70 the weights were I believe 1st 3.4 lbs 2nd3.32lbs 3rd3.30lbs it was really close a alot of fun for all I don't have the printed info in front of me so sorry for not using actual names and the weights are from memory I am sure Byron will do a full post on the results And flyboyroy what do mean we can't talk to each other we BS with other competitors all during the tourn. Marshrat and RONBO probaly could not wait for to me to shut up  ;D you should read the rules before you make a general coment as such
Join us on the 2013 Vermont Sportsmen's Tournament Series and The Northeast Icefishing Circuit .

Offline flyboyroy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #40 on: Feb 01, 2010, 05:15 PM »
First Place Jay and Jeff Second Place Panfishpounder and JuniataBassman Third place The Spud and Btechvft70 the weights were I believe 1st 3.4 lbs 2nd3.32lbs 3rd3.30lbs it was really close a alot of fun for all I don't have the printed info in front of me so sorry for not using actual names and the weights are from memory I am sure Byron will do a full post on the results And flyboyroy what do mean we can't talk to each other we BS with other competitors all during the tourn. Marshrat and RONBO probaly could not wait for to me to shut up  ;D you should read the rules before you make a general coment as such

Sorry about that spud  -That's twice this week I got somebody mad.  I told someone  that if it got really cold the ice would probably get thicker and it  kind of ticked  him off -- go figure ?   Here is what I was reading in the IFGA rules:

**********No third-party fishing during the event. Each team must fish on their own without assistance from others. No communication/sharing of information between teams that may give another team a fishing advantage. ***********

I kind of thought that meant no communication or sharing of info  between teams,  but I can see now that I must have read it wrong.  Sorry.

Offline THE Spud

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #41 on: Feb 01, 2010, 05:33 PM »
No problem flyboyroy I see how you could have read it that way. Thats why we have a rules meeting. See you on the ice FRED

Offline juniatabassman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #42 on: Feb 01, 2010, 06:29 PM »
All I have to say is the tourney was a blast. It was nice to go out there and mix it up alittle  and see if I could hold my own with some very good fisherman. I think u did a great job with the Tourney Byron. I wish I could make it to more of them. I just don't have the time right now. Like C.C. said there was also some great door prizes at the rules meeting and depending on were u placed. Like i said that is the first tourney i have entered and i can guarantee that it won't be the last. Good show all

Offline isthereiceyet89

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "the Green Hornet strikes again!!!"
« Reply #43 on: Feb 01, 2010, 07:35 PM »
cool wish i coulda made it i talked to you at the lake (spud) around newyears and with panfishpounder the day b4...congrates

Offline marshrat

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Dont leave fish to find fish
« Reply #44 on: Feb 02, 2010, 03:36 PM »
haha spud I didn't see any of those 9 inchers you kept saying your were catching when in your shanty LOL

As for the door prizes we took home around $500 with the camera that we won. So yes it was NICE!!

So in my mind we took second as 2nd place only paid a little over $300. We had a blast and I cant wait to take a look at the points as I have a really good feeling I will be sitting in 1st with Spud and BT a very close second!
Christopher S Neal
3rd place 2011 NEIT Points Race
1st Place Lilly Lake 2011
1st Place Beechwood Lake 2012

Offline panfishpounder

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #45 on: Feb 02, 2010, 04:00 PM »
Thanks to Byron for a great Tourney.  I would like to fish a few more but $$ is tight and work has be a little tied down.  To all those heading to silver good luck.  Make it a shanty sweep.  Thanks again Bryon. 

Chad.

Offline btechvft70

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #46 on: Feb 02, 2010, 04:16 PM »
are you heading up to silver marshrat?
Dave

Offline C.C.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • DO NOT BE AFRAID !!!!
« Reply #47 on: Feb 02, 2010, 05:41 PM »
Anyone have any lodging info. for the Lily tourney?

Offline nepa

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #48 on: Feb 02, 2010, 06:22 PM »
If Byron does not have anything official lined up. Shoot me a PM. I can get you the names of some places. Are you coming up to pre fish at all.

Offline marshrat

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #49 on: Feb 02, 2010, 09:53 PM »
are you heading up to silver marshrat?
Yes im fishing with a local!
Christopher S Neal

Offline btechvft70

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #50 on: Feb 03, 2010, 06:01 AM »
sounds good marshrat  fred and I will see you up there
Dave

Offline Byron/PA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #51 on: Feb 03, 2010, 02:14 PM »
Well I'll start by apologizing for not having posted on this thread sooner. I feel like a hamster in the wheel and the wheel won't stop for another four or five weeks. And then it will only slow down as we gear up for next season. Walker last week, Silver this week, then on to Kahle, Lily and Bomoseen Vermont, add in a very understanding "other half" and a real job................... .Thanks to those that are filling in for me.

A couple things I'd like to say. First of all, a big welcome to all of you who came out to Walker that had never entered a tournament before. I think I'll be seeing most of you again.

I'm sure that there are some people out there that think I'm doing this as a job, like a paying job, all I can say is that that would be nice and I hope it happens someday. For the next couple years, I'll be happy if I can come close to breaking even.
There are two primary reasons I'm doing this, I enjoy watching people have fun, and I want you to become a better ice fisherman.

I think it's safe to say that just about every person ( regardless of where they finish ) who enters one of our events has fun, learns some things and walks away with a positive memory. I can tell you, that nobody is in this with dreams of becoming rich, or at least not now.

For those of you that are not sure if this is for you, and even those who are sure it's not for you, I say take a day off from fishing and dedicate that day towards becoming a better angler.
Attend our rules meetings and listen to the seminars. They are free and we got some great anglers participating in the weeks to come. Spend tournament day walking around watching some of the best fish, you'll be surprised at what you'll learn. Spend the day before the tournament walking the ice and talking to some of these guys, most are used to answering questions and again, you'll be supprised at what you'll learn.

As far as costs go, I'm a poor person and understand a tight budget. So budget for next year, put $10.00 a week back, pick a tournament and treat it like an ice fishing vacation. Maybe you'll win some money, maybe you'll break even, maybe it'll cost you, but you'll be glad you did.

Below are the results for Walker Lake last week. It was a tough tournament and weights were separated by literalaly one hundredths of a pound and we had two ties in 9th and 11th place. Heavy weights and big fish eluded everyone. A well earned congrats to all.
A link to the newspaper article....http://www.dailyitem.com/0200_sports/local_story_031201505.html?keyword=secondarystory

Walker results

1st - Jason Herman & Jeff Schmucker, PA - Big Fish=.40 total= 3.45 lbs
2nd - Eric Harris & Chad Little, PA- 3.33 lbs
3rd - Fred Janeic & Dave Harrison, PA - 3.30
4th - Jim Orwig & Roger Mullen, PA - 3.20
5th - George Hazzard & Jason Detra, PA - 3.17
6th - Rob Seaman & Jason Raynes, PA - 3.13
7th - Chris Neal & Ron Wagner, PA - 3.08
8th - Eric Frank & James Frank, PA - 3.05
9th - Brad Scherchterly & Ron Garison, PA - 3.04 - tie
9th - John Comstock & Mike Thoryk, PA - 3.04 - tie
10th- Jeff Shade & Jackie Shade, NY - 3.03
11TH - Matt Fegly & Brian Thomas, PA - 2.72-tie
11th - Jason Heckendorn & Matt Davoli, PA - 2.72-tie
12th - Ryan Barnes & Jason Wright, PA - 2.00
13th - Derick Garman, PA - 1.35
14th - Pete Sherman & Keith Garman, PA - .97

80% of Americans are unhappy with the direction our once great Country is heading. Yet 80% of Americans insist on buying blue jeans that were made in China, coffee filters that were made in Taiwan and anything else that was made anywhere but here........wonder if there might be a connection?

Offline marshrat

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #52 on: Feb 03, 2010, 10:39 PM »
This is the current IFPA Leaderboard
  http://www.keystonecrappie.com/ifpa/ifpa.mht

IFPA Points Totals   
   Beechwood Walker 
  Fisherman 1 Total Weight Total Weight  Total Points 
 1st   Chris Neal 474 308         782 
 2nd   Fred Janiec 412 330         742   
 3rd   Dave Harrison 412 330         742   
 4th   Ronald Garrison 342 304         646   
 5th   Brad Schecterly 342 304         646   
 6th   George Hazard 305 317         622   
 7th   John Comstock 268 304         572   
 8th   Mike Thoryk 268 304         572   
 9th   Kevin Riley 501 0         501   
 10th   Darrell Horton 501 0         501   
 11th   Chad Beale 495 0         495   
 12th   Jeremy Brittenbaugh 495 0         495   
 13th   Evan Perry 474 0         474   
 14th   Mike Kuna 429 0         429   
 15th   Robert Griffith 429 0         429 
 16th   Corey Kosek 424 0         424 
 17th   Eric Kosek 424 0         424 
 18th  Jason Herman 0 345         345 
 19th  Jeff Schmucker 0 345         345 
 20th  Eric Harris 0 333         333 
 21st  Chad Little 0 333         333 
 22nd  Jim Orwig 0 320         320 
 23rd  Roger Mullen 0 320         320 
 24th  Jason Detra 0 317         317 
 25th  Rob Seaman 0 313         313 
 26th  Jason Raynes 0 313         313 
 27th  Ron Wagner 0 308         308 
 28th   George Hazard Jr. 305 0         305 
 29th  Eric Frank 0 305         305 
 30th  James Frank 0 305         305 
 31st  Jeff Shade 0 303         303 
 32nd  Jackie Shade 0 303         303 
 33rd   David Heck 292 0         292 
 34th   George Heck 292 0         292 
 35th   Barry Heath 287 0         287 
 36th   John Burrows 287 0         287 
 37th  Matt Fegly 0 272         272 
 38th  Brian Thomas 0 272         272 
 39th  Jason Heckendorn 0 272         272 
 40th  Matt Davoli 0 272         272 
 41st   Brendo Johnson 226 0         226 
 42nd   Bernard Johnson 226 0         226 
 43rd   Jim Grant 223 0         223 
 44th   Gerald 223 0         223 
 45th  Ryan Barnes 0 200         200 
 46th  Jason Wright 0 200         200 
 47th  Derick Garman 0 135         135 
 48th  Pete Sherman 0 97         97 
 49th  Keith Garman 0 97         97 
 50th   Vance Ralston 60 0         60 
 51st   William Anthony 60 0   
Christopher S Neal

Offline juniatabassman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #53 on: Feb 06, 2010, 07:31 AM »
Well if the tourney is still on, look on the bright side u wont need your shanty  u will just have to dig down to the ice.

Offline Bean

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #54 on: Feb 08, 2010, 02:58 PM »
Byron, I have a question about payout places. I know you paid out the top 3 places in the first 2 tourneys as there were 14-16 entered in those 2 events. But your tournament information page states...
Payouts will be based on number of entrants, a smaller field equals a smaller payout, based on a predetermined percentage. Payouts will be made to the top ten weights when the number of entrants is more than thirty five. Payouts will be made to the top five weights when the number of entrants is thirty five or less, which will result in a first place prize of $1500 based on 35 entrants.

So how are the payout places determined? 
Ken                                          

Offline marshrat

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #55 on: Feb 08, 2010, 03:32 PM »
I'm in the need for a partner for Kahle lake. I will not be able to be at the rules meeting so you will need to be able to make that. I will pay the $120 entry fee and we can split the winnings. I will also pay for the hotel room. I would even give you money back for the gas that you had to pay to get there if you give me the receipts. So you have the chance to fish a free tourney and have a chance to win a prize great deal if you ask me. Please send me an email if you are interested. [email protected] or send me a pm.

PS im second in the points and I want to fish for points thats why im making this offer!

Thanks

Chris
Christopher S Neal

Offline Byron/PA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #56 on: Feb 08, 2010, 04:24 PM »
So how are the payout places determined? 

Bean, this is one of those gray areas that is going to be rewritten before next season. What we have been doing so far is to pay cash prizes to 20% of the field : 10 entrants would pay 2 places, 20 entrants would pay 4 places, 30 entrants would pay 6 places................ .....you get the idea.

This isn't written in stone because sponsor bonus prizes often come into play and we do not know that until the last moment.

As an example, Silver Lake last weekend payed the following based on twenty three teams;

1st - $900
2nd - $500
3rd - $300
4th - Color Ice Hopper Camera System @ $450
5th - $140
6th - Clam Shelter @ $260
8th - Two True Blue Combos @ $80
10th - Ice Hopper Sonic Bucket System and Hop-n- Pole with Circle Scan @ $150
Big Fish @ $460.00

We do not have the same, or any, product prizes at each event................. ...but it gives you an idea.   

Offline JiggerMan

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #57 on: Feb 08, 2010, 07:14 PM »
marsh, where is kahle lake?  I am interested.

Offline JiggerMan

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #58 on: Feb 08, 2010, 07:17 PM »
never mind marshrat...... I forgot that this weekend means something to the women out there including my wife.... :'(

Offline C.C.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • DO NOT BE AFRAID !!!!
« Reply #59 on: Feb 08, 2010, 07:23 PM »
never mind marshrat...... I forgot that this weekend means something to the women out there including my wife.... :'(
Who's bright idea was it to have valentines day during ice anyways?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.