Author Topic: Nothing like chili!!!!  (Read 2801 times)

Offline BASSandICE65

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Pats!!!!
Nothing like chili!!!!
« on: Jan 21, 2004, 04:09 PM »
I always make my Touchdown chili the night before is easy to reheat and really fills the gullet. Use about 3 pounds of meat with two types of beans nothing warms you up faster and is hearty like a good chili. Can reheat it over an open fire or a portable stove. Goes great with beer too just remember to bring some crackers and hot sauce so you can individually adjust the heat some like it hotter. Good fishing and good eating all!!! ;D

Anyday fishing is better than your best day working!!!!!!!!!

Offline Russellman

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re:Nothing like chili!!!!
« Reply #1 on: Jan 21, 2004, 07:14 PM »
Unless it's a pot of meatballs !  
Try the premade frozen ones overnight in a crockpot with two cups of barbecue sauce and one cup of grape jelly.  Cook them slow overnight & then reheat them over the camp stove on the ice the next day.  
They're wicked good for warming the belly and the soul.
Russellman

Offline geckoinmypants

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • YOU WANNA CATCH WHAT ?????
Re: Nothing like chili!!!!
« Reply #2 on: Feb 05, 2004, 09:56 AM »
I'd have to agree with the chili, I lke to put sweet corn in mine, gives it a great taste .

Offline BASSandICE65

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Pats!!!!
« Reply #3 on: Feb 05, 2004, 05:50 PM »
Mine has 8 different peppers and 3 kinds of alcohol. this chili is guaranteed to keep you warmed up for the day lol ;D

Anyday fishing is better than your best day working!!!!!!!!!

Offline killitandgrillit

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Drilling and Grilling!
« Reply #4 on: Oct 05, 2004, 01:45 PM »
I (of course) use venison for my chili. I use dark Ancho chili, pasilla pepper powder, chipolte puree (nice hot smokey flavor) and cumin. Black beans make it less of a gutbomb I've found, and have less "grit" texture to them. I usually make a chedder cornbread to go with it. I am from Wisconsin, so I tailgate ALOT...trust me, it's a HIT!

1/4 cup olive oil
2 pounds venison shoulder, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
Salt and freshly ground pepper
1 large red onion, finely diced
4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
3 tablespoons ancho chile powder
1 tablespoon pasilla chile powder
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1 bottle dark beer
5 cups homemade chicken stock, or low sodium canned or water
1 (16-ounce) can chopped tomatoes, drained and pureed
1 tablespoon chipotle pepper puree
1 tablespoon honey
2 cups cooked or canned black beans, rinsed and drained
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice

Season the venison with salt and pepper, and saute until browned on all sides.
Remove the meat to a plate and remove all but 3 tablespoons of the fat from the pan.
Add the onions to the pan and cook until soft. Add the garlic and cook for 2 minutes. Add the ancho powder, pasilla powder,
and cumin and cook an additional 2 minutes. Add the beer and cook until completely reduced. Return the venison to the pot,
add the chicken stock, tomatoes, chipotle puree, and honey, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium, cover the pan,
and simmer for 45 minutes. Add the beans and continue cooking for 15 minutes. Remove from the heat, add the lime juice, and
adjust seasonings.

White Cheddar Corn Bread:
1/2 pound (2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
2 cups coarsely ground white cornmeal
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons baking powder
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
1 teaspoon salt
2 2/3 cups buttermilk
3/4 cup finely grated white cheddar
1 tablespoon honey

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
In a food processor, combine the butter, cornmeal, flour, baking powder, eggs, and salt. Process 20 to 30 seconds, until just mixed, fold in the cheese. You may have to do this in 2 batches. Pour in the buttermilk, cheese, and honey, and process for 20 seconds more. Pour into a buttered 12 by 12-inch pan, and bake for 40 to 45 minutes, until firm to the touch and golden. Cut into squares

"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found,because I suspect that men are going along this way for the last time, and I  don't want to waste the trip; maybe one day I will catch a mermaid; and finally, not because I regard fishing as being so terribly important, but because I suspect that so m

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.