Author Topic: hi vis mono without a leader ?  (Read 2989 times)

Offline ougot1

• Team IceShanty Regular
hi vis mono without a leader ?
« on: Oct 29, 2018, 09:19 AM »
I was wondering if running all hi vis mono such as gold stren and yellow sufix with no leader would affect catch of bass and perch when jigging spoons and small crankbaits ?  THANKS

Offline SHaRPS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Honor Respect Loyalty
Re: hi vis mono without a leader ?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 29, 2018, 09:37 AM »
I would say it depends on the actual bite that day. If they are ruthless I am sure they will bite regardless of line color. However, when they are finicky lighter line and flouro will definitely be helpful. In my opinion, why not just go with what works best in all conditions and use some flour leader. This way you stay invisible below the ice and visible above.
Just add water.

Offline Sandcountrylivin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Oct 29, 2018, 09:43 AM »
One of the better fisherman I am aware of that fishes and makes popular videos on my home lake uses hi-vis green line to a swivel back to neon green line for a leader. Granted we have fairly stained water. But it doesn't matter the day or the bite, he will outfish the vast majority of all anglers on this lake even if they have floro.

Offline SHaRPS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #3 on: Oct 29, 2018, 09:52 AM »
One of the better fisherman I am aware of that fishes and makes popular videos on my home lake uses hi-vis green line to a swivel back to neon green line for a leader. Granted we have fairly stained water. But it doesn't matter the day or the bite, he will outfish the vast majority of all anglers on this lake even if they have floro.

With this said the first few words of your statement prove why he can outfish the "others" soi i do not doubt that at all. I just wonder if he would see an improvement if he used a flouro leader himself. Also, in my waters I have noticed that the trout, crappie, and white perch are far more line sensitive than bass, pickerel and blue gills.  It is a fact that flouro is less visible than mono so in clear water it makes a difference. At least for me it does.
Just add water.

Offline Sandcountrylivin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Oct 29, 2018, 10:09 AM »
I hear what you are saying. I haven't directly talked with this guy but know enough from watching him that he would use any edge he could get and that if he thought the invisible leader was necessary he would surely use it. I use a floro leader because I can't see any reason not to.

Offline bootstrap

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Oct 29, 2018, 10:10 AM »
always a leader for me. unless i am fishing straight flouro. the water here is gin clear.
do you want to catch the older wiser and bigger fish then use it.

Offline coyotebc

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 24, 2018, 03:53 PM »
I am nowhere near an expert and my experience is only with trout, so this may not hold true for you.
Here in BC we are only allowed one line per fisher, so I haven't done side by side comparisons.
Two years ago I tried hi-vis line for the first time and tried two rods with the same setup except one used flouro leader and one didn't have a leader.
Again I could only have one rod in the water at a time, but it did seem that I caught more fish with the leader setup on a consistent basis.

If I try an experiment in the future, I will use a diary to keep better track

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #7 on: Dec 24, 2018, 07:23 PM »
I was wondering if running all hi vis mono such as gold stren and yellow sufix with no leader would affect catch of bass and perch when jigging spoons and small crankbaits ?  THANKS

The hook(s) are definitely more visible than fishing line and yet fish will still bite such lures.  Even lures with a metal chain, yet fish will bite that.

For more information read my MN nice journal

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.