Author Topic: Kastmaster Question  (Read 3914 times)

pryorok

Kastmaster Question
« on: Jan 18, 2004, 03:39 PM »
Picked up a 1/12 oz silver Kastmaster to try for crappie: Question #1 Is it better to left or jerk these baits with a fast upward motion or just lift the rod and let it fall back down. #2 Should the lift or jerk be exaggerated or just 8-10 inches from starting point. #3 Is it better to leave treble hook on, or switch to single hook for better action. Finally, better to tip hook with waxie, spike, crappie nibbles, or just leave bare?  Thanks for your suggestion!

Offline Ottawa_fish

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
Re:Kastmaster Question
« Reply #1 on: Jan 22, 2004, 12:44 PM »
I leave the treble on and tip it with a head or tail of
small minnow. I like to lift it slow by about 18" and then
drop it down and let it sit for a while. Crappies often
hit when it stops.  

pryorok

« Reply #2 on: Jan 22, 2004, 10:21 PM »
Ottawa Fish
Thanks for the reply. Will giv'er a try this weekend.  The one thing I wasn't doing was pausing at the end of the drop.  Figured I had to constantly keep it moving.  I have read some other information since my post and have pick up some other techniques that I will use as well.  

All the best

Offline Big Dawg

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 29, 2004, 02:29 PM »
ottawa's got the right idea
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."

Offline Fish Monger

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Team Maine
« Reply #4 on: Jan 29, 2004, 03:06 PM »
I have better luck replacing the trebble and putting on a single hook, then a bit of worm. Gentle jigging for Crappie with me. In fact most of the time I don't jig the rod but hold the line in my fingers. Somedays they bite so lite that I can't feel them well on the pole.

pryorok

« Reply #5 on: Jan 29, 2004, 04:01 PM »
Andrew thanks for the reply. I've tried mostly in the past with pimples for eyes, but thought I would give the kastmaster a try for crappie.  Still experimenting with my technique.

All the best

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.