Author Topic: buddy heater problems  (Read 3783 times)

Offline funk380

• Team IceShanty Regular
buddy heater problems
« on: Jan 23, 2008, 06:38 PM »
Been having issues with my heater in this cold weather. It runs fine till the tank runs out,but when i screw the new tank on it acts like it is not getting fuel .Both times this has happened it has been really cold. When i got home and it warmed up it works fine. I'm wondering if it is the tanks not working well in this cold weather.Can the tanks freeze up? I wonder if i need to keep my tanks warmer while in storage. Any one had this problem?

Offline copperjohn

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: buddy heater problems
« Reply #1 on: Jan 23, 2008, 06:43 PM »
Yea, it's the cold.  Always had the same problem using the 1 pounders with the Mr. Heater.  Learned to keep them in the house the night before and try to keep them from the cold on the ice.  Even the 20 lb talk would freeze up in the really cold, but I don't recomend those indoors.
Gravity's B**ch On Hard Water

Offline captain54

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 23, 2008, 06:54 PM »
Ditto,keep your extra 1lbers in your heated shanty,this should help,I had same trouble last year.

Offline toadhunter2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 23, 2008, 06:55 PM »
ya experienced the same problem this weekend glad i brought my little back up heater head with also i have been having problems this year with the pilot going out heater will run fine for hours then all of a sudden it goes out you relight it and it is fine for a while then out again then fine then out it is crazy ???
early mornings,cold north winds,hard ice,good friends and cold high life..FLAG UP!.priceless

Offline detroitroofer149

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish, you say let me get my pole..
« Reply #4 on: Jan 23, 2008, 07:01 PM »
i have the mr big buddy and run into the same problems....but when you say the ignition stops ,theres a sensor that picks up fumes and shuts down ...safty reasons

Offline shawno

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Team Saskatchewan
« Reply #5 on: Jan 23, 2008, 07:24 PM »
Like copperjohn has said...

The best way to resolve this issue is by switching from the 1lb bottles to a 20lb tank.  Here is Saskatchewan dealing with those "dog days" of winter is always tough...1lbers freeze up on us all the time.

Switch to the bigger tank..you'll be glad you did.

shawno  8)

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #6 on: Jan 23, 2008, 07:36 PM »
Learned to keep them in the house the night before and try to keep them from the cold on the ice.

yep :tipup:

Offline funk380

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 23, 2008, 07:44 PM »
i kinda assumed it had to be the tanks. I'll keep them warmer,I'm not too crazy about dragging a 20 lb tank around. Thanks every one!

Offline 1TIGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • SAFE ICE TO ALL !
« Reply #8 on: Jan 23, 2008, 09:36 PM »
Where the bottle screws on there is a needle and a gasket make sure they are dry when you put the new bottle on .
Sometimes when you unscrew the old bottle the little remaining gas that is released will liquefy as it escapes the bottle and immediately freeze on the gasket and needle and not let the gas flow into the implament you're trying to use .
I have had this happen on a small grill and lanterns .
If you're having bottles freeze up try the foam pipe insulation wrapped around the bottle , it's helped keep my bottles from freezing .

Offline rumdrinker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 23, 2008, 09:53 PM »
I use the 20lb tank and love it.  I am acutally thinking about buying a couple 5 or 10lb tanks so it is not so bulky.  But mine works fine even at the high altudides and cold weather.

Offline fishinmoses

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Made in usa
« Reply #10 on: Jan 23, 2008, 11:38 PM »
hell yeah 20lbs your out there for a week bought the converison hose from bass pro shops make sure you get filter its cheaper to refill to, cost me 12.00 at propane suppler.  also milk crate holds tank great in jet sled ;D

Offline jeffro9023

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jan 24, 2008, 10:20 AM »
ya experienced the same problem this weekend glad i brought my little back up heater head with also i have been having problems this year with the pilot going out heater will run fine for hours then all of a sudden it goes out you relight it and it is fine for a while then out again then fine then out it is crazy ???
thre is an oxygen sensor on the mr. heater it is probably shutting off due to lack of oxygen this is to prevent CO poisoning

Offline djkruszewski

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • that's one big hole.
« Reply #12 on: Jan 24, 2008, 10:25 AM »
it seems like we all have the same problem, cause mine also does that every year when it's cold outside.
when fisherman fish alone, do they really catch fish??

Offline toadhunter2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 24, 2008, 04:25 PM »
i know it is not a co problem unless the sensor is going out because i had the vent flap open plus we were going out deicing tipups quite often so i know the air was fresh
early mornings,cold north winds,hard ice,good friends and cold high life..FLAG UP!.priceless

Offline Mainedog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Feb 16, 2008, 11:40 AM »
I fought my Mr. Buddy for two years, added the pilot shield and still would go out all the time.
I bought a hose and a 4lb tank (like the 20lber just smaller!).  Works so much better....stays on,
puts out more heat....those 1lb tanks are trouble.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.