Author Topic: Whats your weight footprint and threshold?  (Read 2648 times)

Offline Big E

• Team IceShanty Regular
Whats your weight footprint and threshold?
« on: Dec 13, 2007, 09:23 PM »
Well with most of us just getting ice and having a bad itch that needs to be scratched it could lead to a dangerous situation.  Tonight I was doing the numbers for possibly going out this weekend and I'm on not feeling to good about my weight footprint on only 4 inches of ice.

Here's the figures:

Me:  325
Clothes and Boots:  10
Shanty:  116
Auger:  38
Camera & Flasher:  15
Poles, Gear, Buckets, Lunch, etc:  20

Total:  524

Think I'm good on 4 inches of new ice?

Offline jimmygunns

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Add more bacon, son!
Re: Whats your weight footprint and threshold?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 13, 2007, 09:26 PM »
I wouldn't go out too deep, or alone!  Bring suitable flotation for yourself! ;)

Offline USMC130FE

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 2008 NAIFC Contestant
« Reply #2 on: Dec 13, 2007, 09:37 PM »
Big E,
remember that the weight of anything other than what is on you has it's own footprint for weight.  If all that other gear is in shanty/sled its weight is very minimal and could probably be held up on a inch of solid black ice.  If the weather permits just bring out the minimums, IE, hand auger, bucket, flasher and poles.  Just use common sense, bring safety gear and have fun. 

Tight Lines
Steve
http://www.bluecrayfish.com/icefishpics/albums/userpics/2-18-08_001c.jpg

Sure the Marines are a Department of the Navy, We're the MENS DEPERTMENT!!!!

JJ

« Reply #3 on: Dec 13, 2007, 09:42 PM »
I've seen plenty of 4 wheelers on 4" of ice, I think you're OK.

Offline edfalc

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #4 on: Dec 13, 2007, 10:04 PM »
I WEIGH 280 and 4" scares me
Shut up and FISH

I Fish for Those who Can't

Offline AirManCam

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • All hail to the King!!
« Reply #5 on: Dec 13, 2007, 10:13 PM »
I weight 190, and I've had a 500lb fourwheeler on an inch and half of ice, just messing around to see if it would hold it and it did.
15lb mono pike fisherman...WHATS UP!

Offline John_BZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Dec 13, 2007, 11:01 PM »
we have broken 6" of good hard ice with our snowmobiles before. at the same time just messin around in a very shallow bay we have had 3" of ice hold the same machine just fine. ice is funny stuff, not to be taken lightly. that said my personal threshhold is 2" over shallow water and 4" over deep water.

Offline WHITETAIL111

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Dec 13, 2007, 11:14 PM »
I weigh 225lbs and we carry 25lbs of beer.  I'm not going to risk going through on 4" of ice and ................losing my beer. ;)
I think as long as your on a "consistant" 4" of ice your fine, but "consistancy" might be a problem with early ice....just be careful out there.  Not worth losing your life over.
That taxidermy man back home gonna have a heart attack when he see what I bring'em!!

Offline Kyle_

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Dec 13, 2007, 11:56 PM »
put all your gear in your sled, and make the rope extra long(25-30 feet?) then you can subtract those figures from the overall equation  ;)

Offline rchaze60

• IceShanty Rookie
  • If they are down there.... they will come up
« Reply #9 on: Dec 14, 2007, 05:58 AM »
I for one will not go on ice less than 4" I went out this week and the ice was a good 6" thick and we had a great time time fishin and listening to the ice talk

Offline BlueDuck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Dec 14, 2007, 08:56 AM »
On early ice, I like to see people out there bigger then me.    Ealy ice can be tricky.  4" here dosen't there is 4" over there. 

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #11 on: Dec 14, 2007, 09:23 AM »
If it's 4" of good clear ice you can dance on it!!

:tipup:
NBG

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

Offline gcrossman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Dec 14, 2007, 10:28 AM »
NYDEC has this posted.  www.dec.ny.goc

Ice Thickness Table Ice Thickness Permissible Load
2 inches one person on foot
3 inches group in single file
7.5 inches one car (2 tons)
8 inches light truck (2.5 tons)
10 inches truck (3.5 tons)
12 inches heavy truck (7-8 tons)
15 inches 10 tons
20 inches 25 tons

Offline Pike Runner

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Dec 14, 2007, 10:34 AM »
You should be safe with all you r gear in the sled. But the lake I'm on now has 3 inches to 9 inches of water, from the shore to were i fish, so if worried, stop and check very so often. The rope at 25' on sled is a good idea for early ice, until you know the ice thickness in all areas you will be on.

Offline spun out fishing

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Dec 14, 2007, 11:58 AM »
1in of black solid ice will hold 125-150lb person standing on it,sitting on a bucket a different story.  myself i weigh about 170 and once we get 2-2 1\2 in of solid black ice you cant get off the bay.  mind you i fish pike and perch on a bay thats 2-4ft deep you go through your cold until you get to the truck.  every lake is different so be careful, but i'll agree 4in of ice you can dance on it.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #15 on: Dec 14, 2007, 11:59 AM »
I was crossing a lake Wednesday afternoon to check out a reef on the other side and the front wheels of my wheeler dropped down about 8" in a slushy spot. I backed out and went back where I came from. The ice where we were fishing was about 8 to 10". My pucker factor was pretty elevated after that little incident.  :woot:
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline bassranger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Dec 14, 2007, 12:49 PM »
I was out last week on 2.5" it was me a heafty 260 pounds, a buddy maybe 150, and three labs between 70-90lbs a piece thats about 650lbs. there were times when we were all standing real close together or a 10" hole even.  of course the place I was fishing is no more than 4 feet deep so at least if I go for a swim I can stand up to get out.
If I'm not fishing then I'm not happy

Offline hard_water

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • rippin lips all over NY
« Reply #17 on: Dec 14, 2007, 12:59 PM »
fellas im a big boy i am 6' 375 with all my clothes on i bet i go 410 and if i get 21/2 or 3 inches of good black ice im on it, yeah its a little scary with the water dancing out of your holes with every step you take but again pfd's your picks and some common sense and you gonna be alright. by common sense i mean dont go running out on 20 or 30 feet of water carrying the kitchen sink!!!!!! stay on top

water
GET THE NET !!!!!!!GET THE NET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline johnnyboy8451234

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Dec 15, 2007, 12:06 PM »
put all your gear in your sled, and make the rope extra long(25-30 feet?) then you can subtract those figures from the overall equation  ;)

I use the long rope also spread the weight out and dont crowd friends around a hole till about 5 inches of ice.. my buddies like me to test the ice out for them..  300lbs with no gear :)
they figure if I dont fall in there all safe.

Offline djkruszewski

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • that's one big hole.
« Reply #19 on: Dec 15, 2007, 12:35 PM »
I'd definitely wait a few more days, until you have 6 inches of ice.  keep in mind that no ice is uniform in thickness!!  you may have four inches when you walk out there, then you may hit a thin area of 1-2 inches and down you go.  my rule of thumb is, i wait until there's 6 inch of ice, even if i hit a thin spot i will still be on 3-4 inches!!  your safety is worth the wait for a few more days.  if you have 4 inches now, it's only going to be another 3-5 days before you will find 6 inches, of course this depends on snow cover too!  play it safe and wait.  we were on 5 inches last year and the ice was cracking all around us, it was 6 inches when we checked near shore and even half way out it was 6 inches.  we ended up moving closer to shore where it was 6 inches and had no problems.  anything less than 6 inches is iffy, in my opinion.  good luck on your ice fishing and safe ice quest!
when fisherman fish alone, do they really catch fish??

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.