Author Topic: just like to hear your opinion  (Read 6331 times)

Offline pro50guy

• Team IceShanty Regular
just like to hear your opinion
« on: Dec 10, 2007, 10:26 PM »
i would just like to hear the general ice fishing comunity's opinion on what actions if any should be taken when some stranger comes over and puts his tip ups like 10 feet from yours?, or how far is your limit?
"you can pick your nose and your friends can pick there nose, but you cant pick your friends nose"-john fickel     "equal opportunity for everyone special treatment for no one"-jesse james

Offline A- bomb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THE ORIGINAL...ORIGINAL! Go drop A Bomb on 'em
Re: just like to hear your opinion
« Reply #1 on: Dec 10, 2007, 10:29 PM »
oh boy, here we go again...............ha ng on for the ride!
Lack of planning on your part in NO way constitutes an EMERGENCY on mine

NAD42

« Reply #2 on: Dec 10, 2007, 10:32 PM »
punch him/her in the mouth!

Offline holeinhide

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • have ice will fish!!
« Reply #3 on: Dec 10, 2007, 10:34 PM »
I find that when this happens if you just walk over and talk them to death you either end up with a new friend or they leave just to get away. As a personal rule I try to stay at least at 25 yards from the next guy but on some lakes this just isn't possible.

Offline Boilerhawg

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 10, 2007, 10:38 PM »
I learned to play guitar a few years ago.  One of the first tunes I learned was Battling Banjos, better known as the Deliverance Theme(if you haven't seen it, google it).  I haven't got to use it while ice-fishing, but while camping, whenever somebody sets up camp too close, I break out a little Deliverance on the geetar.  Generally, people decide to move on ;).

Offline zgoz89

• IceShanty Rookie
  • The bone collector
« Reply #5 on: Dec 10, 2007, 11:40 PM »
^ LMAO

Deliverance FTW!
A Couple Reasons Why Fishing is Better Than Sex!

1. Nobody expects you to Fish with the same partner for the rest of your life

2. There are no Fishing-transmitted diseases.

3. If your partner takes pictures or videotapes of you Fishing,you don't have to worry about them showing up on the Internet if you become famous.

4. It's perfectly respectable to Fish with a total stranger.

Offline Whatpole

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #6 on: Dec 10, 2007, 11:58 PM »
This doesn't have to do with ice fishing. When I helped my brother move to AK, we took about 3 days to fish for silver salmon around the Wasilla/Palmer area. The fishing up there was pretty much rubbing elbows with the person next to you. The line of people fishing was about 600 feet long. If you just showed up, or went to do something besides fish, you lost your place in line, and ended up at the end (unless you caught a fish, then you got your place back in line in most cases). My brother had a back-pack of sorts that was a child carrier for my 1-1/2 year old nephew. On the second day of fishing, at one point I was second to last in line, and my brother was the very last in line with my nephew on his back, we were fishing about 4 feet apart from each other. This guy and his daughter/young wife/or whatever she was, butts thier way inbetween my brother and I. He looks at my brother and says "cute kid", and proceeds to start fishing. This really made me mad (:nono: cuss cuss cuss  :%$#!: :nono:). It wasn't like they were gaining anything in line, they were then second and third from the very end. I looked at my brother with a  >:D grin, and started casting over thier lines. After about the fourth time of me tangling up in them, the guy looks at me and says "It's kinda crowded here, maybe we should move". I said "Ya f-ing think so".

I don't care if you ask to fish with me, or sit awhile to see how things are going  ;)2, but you will not butt your way into my personal fishing space. That makes me quite angry  :nono: :%$#!:.
"Isn't he precious." My daughter looking at a 12" walleye
"The Green Hornet strikes again!"

Offline travisj88

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 11, 2007, 04:44 AM »
This doesn't have to do with ice fishing. When I helped my brother move to AK, we took about 3 days to fish for silver salmon around the Wasilla/Palmer area. The fishing up there was pretty much rubbing elbows with the person next to you. The line of people fishing was about 600 feet long. If you just showed up, or went to do something besides fish, you lost your place in line, and ended up at the end (unless you caught a fish, then you got your place back in line in most cases). My brother had a back-pack of sorts that was a child carrier for my 1-1/2 year old nephew. On the second day of fishing, at one point I was second to last in line, and my brother was the very last in line with my nephew on his back, we were fishing about 4 feet apart from each other. This guy and his daughter/young wife/or whatever she was, butts thier way inbetween my brother and I. He looks at my brother and says "cute kid", and proceeds to start fishing. This really made me mad (:nono: cuss cuss cuss  :%$#!: :nono:). It wasn't like they were gaining anything in line, they were then second and third from the very end. I looked at my brother with a  >:D grin, and started casting over thier lines. After about the fourth time of me tangling up in them, the guy looks at me and says "It's kinda crowded here, maybe we should move". I said "Ya f-ing think so".

I don't care if you ask to fish with me, or sit awhile to see how things are going  ;)2, but you will not butt your way into my personal fishing space. That makes me quite angry  :nono: :%$#!:.
The true meaning of combat fishing is fishing Alaska's rivers during the salmon runs.
Travis

Offline Phoenix

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Dec 11, 2007, 05:48 AM »
When yer done playin' Duelin Banjo's' walk over real close to him and say, "You sure got a perty mouth." ;D

Offline scavengerj

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Warm hands, warm feet and tight lines!
« Reply #9 on: Dec 11, 2007, 06:12 AM »
Throw in a pair of those funky looking fake teeth and I bet they'd move even faster  :)
DMS #525
AMSA #1102
OBPA
RFA #1053456E

Offline PACKMAN241982

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • IF THE BEERS SLUSHY GET A STRAW! FLATLANDER
« Reply #10 on: Dec 11, 2007, 06:25 AM »
Fly off the handle is a term that I have done a few times. I usually swing a skimmer around my head and chase them off. I had some guys do that last year and then theyt accidently ran over my tip ups with there machine.  Needless to say they left and paid for the damages.
Packman
ALRIGHT ALRIGHT!!

Offline Fish_Tko

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Dec 11, 2007, 07:32 AM »
as long as they stay outside of 10 feet it doesn't bother me on the ice. Now if a guy pulls his boat next to me in the summer and drops anchor within spitting distance i will throw a lure right in his boat and bury that hook into something :nono:
There is only one theory about angling in which I have perfect confidence, and this is that the two words, least appropriate to any statement, about it, are the words "always" and "never."

Offline SPARKYICE

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Dec 11, 2007, 07:48 AM »
combat fishing-
salmon river, pulaski ny, black hole, back when big weighted treble hooks were legal for snatching salmon.
more than a few guys got them buried in their flesh!

i'll try to set up equal distance between the guys that are there first.it's like walking into a bar.if there are 6 empty stools, you don't sit on somebodys lap, but if it's crowded i'll elbow up to the bar to get served.

i've had guys cuss me for being too close, pack up and leave, and then someone else comes buy and sets up closer to me than i was to the first guys, and i wasn't bothered by their being "too close".
if there are 3 guys on the lake, i'll keep as far away as i can, if there are 300, i'll try to find the largest open area betwen them.
also, when it's crowded, i'll keep my  rigs in a little tighter to me.

grandpa told me-"never wrestle with a pig. you both get muddy and the pig likes it".

Offline adkbrookie

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Dec 11, 2007, 08:11 AM »
ah yes, the question of humpers. if you come over and introduce yourself and ask then they should be able to tell you what is allright. if you think it might not be allright, then what is the harm in asking? if you keep up a nice line of swearing to yourself about overpopulation and just wanting to be left alone that is loud enough for them to hear then they tned to get the message. or just tell them to get the f*** away form your set and run them off. i think bottle rockets might also be a good option. ;D the possibilities are endless.

i would say that if the space between my tip ups is larger than that between mine and yours then there might be a problem. even if it is crowded that tends to work out well.
"If fishing is interfering with your business, give up your business."  - Sparse Grey Hackle

"I wait. Now the night flows back, the mighty stillness embraces and includes me; I can see the stars again and the world of starlight. I am twenty miles or more from the nearest fellow human, but instead of loneliness I feel loveliness. Loveliness and a quiet exultation." - Ed Abbey

Offline mmb

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "What do you do with all the ice you catch?"
« Reply #14 on: Dec 11, 2007, 08:22 AM »
I take a CD of Bagpipe music for just such instances. 

Offline snelly

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • my new shanty
« Reply #15 on: Dec 11, 2007, 08:36 AM »
maybe I would try another aproach. I would start jawing about fishing and the spot and act like I didn't mind, be friendly then when I think I've got him sucked in. start b.sing him on why I think another spot might be better over there. and all the time I would let him think I was considering moving on tipups. b.s. him on how great I did the last time over there aways. If nothing esle I'm sure I'd get a good laugh out of it when I'm through getting my jabs and cheap shots in.

Offline Fishin is the Mission

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Dec 11, 2007, 09:23 AM »
I've had that happen to me and here's what I did.  My cousin and I were set up on a small lake with only one other angler on the ice.  We had drilled enough holes for our tip-ups and a few extra to move to when things slowed down.  Here comes these two guys onto the ice and set up right next to us (10 feet away) and starts using our idle holes.  I gave them about 10 minutes and not once did they even look our way.  I walked over to them and asked if they didn't think they were a little close.  They got the not-so-subtle hint and packed it up.
Thanks, Dad, for taking the time to show me how to fish!!

Chuck

Offline Pike Dude

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Dec 11, 2007, 09:53 AM »
The best was last year. It was about 6 o'clock saturday morning and me and my buddy headed out across the ice over to my shanty. As we got closer it looked as if someone was set up all around my shanty. We walked into the cove and sure enough they had tip-ups covering the whole bay, and inside of every one of my "Dumby jacks". The best part was that they had the heater cranked up inside of MY shanty. Im not a selfish person, but this pissed me off. There is a name and number on the door. If they wanted to use it that bad they atleast could have called. We ended up walking over to my shanty and getting all of our tip ups and bait ready. We went out and drilled holes where we would have if nobody was there in the first place. They seemed to get a little irritated when we began getting flags all around them. It seemed as if their flags were nailed down. Anyway the next day when me and my buddy returned, we came to our shanty. The ropes had been cut, the door ripped off, windowns smashed, and table ripped out. Oh ya the best part was that they used the gas tank on the inside to start the thing on fire. Needless to say the shanty was completely ruined. What a weekend!

Offline mjbmxz

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Holy balls it's gonna pull us through the ice!
« Reply #18 on: Dec 11, 2007, 10:45 AM »
When ya get hole stealers or people who fish on top of ya, ya just act a bit crazy. Example, a guy starts fishing a whole ya cut a bit ago. Ya just stare at him and says "Hey der buddy, careful there, that's the hole the Angry Goats drink out of, and where the Mermaid stores her burnt peanuts!!! She carries a gun so ya best watch out!!!!!!" They more than likely will say "Screw this, I'm outta here!!!!"   Also saying "Hey buddy, I'm a bit cold, wanna huddle to keep warm?!?!"  That'll send em packin too :D
Just Jiggle it, Jiggle It  :D

Offline Whatpole

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #19 on: Dec 11, 2007, 10:50 AM »
The best was last year. It was about 6 o'clock saturday morning and me and my buddy headed out across the ice over to my shanty. As we got closer it looked as if someone was set up all around my shanty. We walked into the cove and sure enough they had tip-ups covering the whole bay, and inside of every one of my "Dumby jacks". The best part was that they had the heater cranked up inside of MY shanty. Im not a selfish person, but this **censored** me off. There is a name and number on the door. If they wanted to use it that bad they atleast could have called. We ended up walking over to my shanty and getting all of our tip ups and bait ready. We went out and drilled holes where we would have if nobody was there in the first place. They seemed to get a little irritated when we began getting flags all around them. It seemed as if their flags were nailed down. Anyway the next day when me and my buddy returned, we came to our shanty. The ropes had been cut, the door ripped off, windowns smashed, and table ripped out. Oh ya the best part was that they used the gas tank on the inside to start the thing on fire. Needless to say the shanty was completely ruined. What a weekend!
Why didn't you ask them what they thought they were doing in your shack. This would have been a real bummer to show up and have it torn apart and burned.
"Isn't he precious." My daughter looking at a 12" walleye
"The Green Hornet strikes again!"

Offline deadsmelthead

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Length 47 3/4 " Girth 24" NY Northern Pike
« Reply #20 on: Dec 11, 2007, 10:54 AM »
I take a CD of Bagpipe music for just such instances. 

That would make me move closer, I love that stuff....

Personaly, I don't mind people setting up nearby that are just coming on the ice, the problem I have is when I start getting into fish and YO YO from 500 yards away picks up and sets up next to me. For this reason when I am out with friends we generaly keep the majority of our tip ups near us and we each put 1 or 2 in a 100 yard + distance around us making it perfectly clear where we are fishing. If they set up with 10 feet of those all the power to them , but it's pretty clear that they shouldn't come in the circle of trust.
TeamNumbnutts on youtube ... Subscribe !
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=teamnumbnutts&sm=3

Offline Haywood

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Dec 11, 2007, 10:59 AM »
I would move head quarters over to that hole.  Once the shack and the auger and all of your gear are scattered all around his tip up, he should get the point.  If not, it's always effective to carry a CD player armed with a Yanni CD.

Offline 1TIGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • SAFE ICE TO ALL !
« Reply #22 on: Dec 11, 2007, 11:09 AM »
I don't mind someone setting up a little close < 10-15 feet > if they ask if they are too close or are friendly about it , but if they want to be a jerk I'll let them get all set up and fire up the gas auger and drill a few holes rite next to their set .
When they complain I just tell them I'm returning the favor .

Offline RLWagner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Dec 11, 2007, 11:13 AM »
Different situations require different approaches. If there is plenty of room in the area for fellas to stay 100+' away, but they place a trap 10 foot away, I get quite p-oed. Many times I will auger a whole 18" from the new trap and start jigging there, and making tons of noise.
Other times a fella will drill a hole 18" next to my shanty when there is a ton of room on the ice. I normally use my extender pole to reach under the ice and snag the lure!!! I keep doing this till they move. Other times I set a very bad example for all and my temper flares to the point of physical contact. For that I am not proud, but it is being pushed over the edge by a smart oud mouth that has personally violated someones copmfort zone that crosses the line on the ice!! Now if a person has enoug respect to ask if he can set-up on-top of me, then I normally make room for him/her.
The amount of disrespect for fellow anglers can be amazing. This extends to lake front home owners as well. A couple examples. One ice rink for children occupies a portion of a canal I fish with priveledges as it is private. Never fails every year some jack arse drills holes right in the middle of the rink?? **censored** Or the guys that come out of a shack only to urinate on the docks or lawn edges while they face the houses. Or how about the guys we all know, that deposit a skit load of littewr every time they are on the ice? Or the other guys we all know that leave their catch sitting on the ice when they go home as the did not catch enough to make it worthwhile to clean??

It is unfortunate that these types occupy ice space with us. They ruin access, relationships and cause a stereo-typing that makes it hard on all of us.

Sites like iceshanty will hopefully have a positive effect on some of these folks in an educational way.

Offline WANNAKETCHUM

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Where da fish at???
« Reply #24 on: Dec 11, 2007, 11:38 AM »
punch him/her in the mouth!
Yea...then the @$$hole gets on his cellphone...calls local authorities and/or State police and has you arrested for assault. They come and take you off the ice and you spend the day dealing with that while he/she/they are still fishing your spot. Oh...and I'm sure that the police would let you go if you simply told them that you did it because "they were fishing too close". We had an Ol' Duffer do that(fish too close) to us years ago and after talking to the guy he turned out to be a nice guy...even apologized for being close. He said he used to fish with his Grandson a lot but he had moved away and now he fished alone. Maybe the old Fart just wanted someone to B.S. with while he was fishing. Needless to say... none of us wanted to punch him out.....WK
Give your son a fish, and he will eat for a day.....teach your son to fish and eventually he'll end up kicking your @ss every time you fish together!!!

Offline djkruszewski

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • that's one big hole.
« Reply #25 on: Dec 11, 2007, 11:44 AM »
well unfortunately there's nothing we can really do about a stranger fishing within 10 feet from you.  many times it's nice and cool out when we go fishing, and we don't flip up our shanties.  we actually start to nail a few fish, at that time we do flip up the shanty.  many people, and i have seen this over and over again, will look around for flags up on tip-ups and people in plain view catching fish.  these people eventually end up right next to you!  pontiac lake is known well for that, due to small area's and good fishing area's, people just are on top of you.  that's why it's nice to have a few good spots out of the way to go to when this happens.  almost all public access points are known for this.  people don't like to walk far at all.  every year i go out there, there will be 30 shanties and people out on the ice, and about 20 of them are all within 10 yards of each other next to the access point.  i am a avid deer hunter also, and there 2 things in common with both sports.  if you get away from heavy activity the fishing and deer hunting tends to be much better.  less pressure equals better fishing and deer hunting!
when fisherman fish alone, do they really catch fish??

Offline captain54

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Dec 11, 2007, 11:46 AM »
Last year I cut five holes in a circle with one in the middle all about 3 or 4 foot apart.Three guys came and start fishing in my first set of holes about 20 yards away.I started to reel in big jumbo gills in the 9 inch class,they where kind of spooky and I'd only get one or two from each hole,after icing about 20,one guy moved into two of my holes,he got a small 10 inch bass,his other two buddies came over and sucked two more holes,I'm down to one.They made so much noise the bite was over.I packed up and moved about 35 yds away,and found some more fish,I picked through a bunch but keep 10 big slab crappies and 5 more big gills in about 2 hours of fishing.The three slobs never caught a fish.One started to walk over with his two rods,then asked if he could use my holes next to me,the answer was a polite no.He left then came back and asked if he borrow my auger and cut some holes next to me.I packed up and left,the day they each had 5 jigging rods apiece in all my old holes.They still had no fish,but sure had big balls,take all kind I guess!

Offline pikeking

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #27 on: Dec 11, 2007, 03:55 PM »
Got to your truck or a private place and take a sweet one on a paper plate and leave it next to his hole, but be careful so he doesn't see you do it. Or another aproach would be to make some snowballs and throw them at his tip-ups til he gets mad and leaves. Or you could just ask him to not get so close.(((((FLAG))))) :tipup:
If fishing was work I'd never be sick!

Offline primepin65

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Dec 11, 2007, 09:31 PM »
unless i'm jigging i usually have at least 3 peopl with me so that means we can get 20 tipups out...usually we'll put them in a circle with a few scattered inside the circle.....all of our crap sits in the middle....i have had people come up and use holes inside of our set...we're mostly calm people so no words have flown so far but if people set up too close to my trap this year i might have to pull out the slingshot and pepper their hut.... :laugh:
"The mountain without is merely a crutch to help us deal with the mountain within."

Offline John_BZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Dec 11, 2007, 10:00 PM »
my favorite was when i drove out a really good ways across a lake in wisconsin to fish. there was nobody within a good mile of me. i stopped, got my traps set and then watched a couple guys walk all the way out to where i was parked and attempt to drill a hole with a very dull mora through 28" of ice 10 feet away from one of my tip ups inside my spread. we caught a few northern while they where there. they didn't catch anything then decided to come ask me how far is it to deeper water as it was only 3 feet deep there. i pointed and said about a 20 minute walk will get you out to the deeper part. they walked all the way out there. they ended up going back in because they couldn't drill anymore holes.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.