Author Topic: Lead split shot.  (Read 5931 times)

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
Re: Lead split shot.
« Reply #30 on: Dec 08, 2007, 10:19 AM »
Some scientists and historians link the fall of the Roman Empire to lowered brain function caused by their use of lead.

I am gonna get a Lee melter and some molds. I have 400lbs or more of lead that I rendered out last summer with a cast iron pan and a turkey fryer. ;D
gee maybe I do have a ligitimate excuse! 
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline adkbrookie

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #31 on: Dec 08, 2007, 10:23 AM »
I use the tin and other "safe sinkers" now almost exclusively. tuck a couple in my lip when fly fishing so I can adjust quickly to suit the run. there are some materials that are more expensive that are supposed to be much better than the tin and steel, have only used them a little bit b/c they are expensive.
"If fishing is interfering with your business, give up your business."  - Sparse Grey Hackle

"I wait. Now the night flows back, the mighty stillness embraces and includes me; I can see the stars again and the world of starlight. I am twenty miles or more from the nearest fellow human, but instead of loneliness I feel loveliness. Loveliness and a quiet exultation." - Ed Abbey

Offline vivlamored

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #32 on: Dec 08, 2007, 10:31 AM »
So, can you still use lead split shot in Pa and NY?
you can use them just can't get them in the stores

Offline vivlamored

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #33 on: Dec 08, 2007, 02:35 PM »
don't think bass pro of cabelas will send them to ny but i have bought them on ebay before i also mold my own

Offline IrishIce99

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "I am number 1. All others are number 2 or lower."
« Reply #34 on: Dec 12, 2007, 04:44 PM »
Lets not forget, Romans used lead in all their pipes. Sure some people died, but it really takes a lot of it to have any effect on an adult. Children are another thing.
Support local bait and tackle shops --> Jay-Ve <br />   

Offline bassranger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Dec 15, 2007, 09:31 AM »
In NH you can't use lead sinkers 1 ounce or less and you can't lead jigs less than 1 inch in length. I believe it has to do with waterfowl, loons eating them of the bottom.
If I'm not fishing then I'm not happy

Offline hardh2ofish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #36 on: Dec 15, 2007, 09:45 AM »
I worked as a roofer for 5 years and came across a bunch of old vent flashings made from lead.  takes a little to clean contaminents from the lead its good soft lead and pours very well even in my smallest jig head molds......... Yeah I still use my teeth to crimp on split shot I believe Ive even swallowed one here and there.  Im not twitching nervously and I have two bright beautiful children so it did little to damage the sperm count.    I figure they cant be all that bad for ya ;)

Fishing should be the exercise of your skills- and its rewards the places it brings you to
                                                                           Negley Farson
Going Fishing

Offline johnnyboy8451234

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #37 on: Dec 15, 2007, 11:18 AM »
In NY you can use the lead split shot but not purchase them. I buy them in CT because I havent found a substitute that works for me. The tin split shots are huge compared to lead and so shiney I cant stand them. And I run around the lake with them in my mouth so I dont lose them and bite them with my teeth also..  Not to worried about the lead your body eliminates it anyway and its the kids it affects mostly.

Offline Mainedog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #38 on: Dec 15, 2007, 01:28 PM »
Some scientists and historians link the fall of the Roman Empire to lowered brain function caused by their use of lead.

I am gonna get a Lee melter and some molds. I have 400lbs or more of lead that I rendered out last summer with a cast iron pan and a turkey fryer. ;D

Just do in in a well vented area.

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #39 on: Dec 15, 2007, 01:42 PM »
ya i had loons swoop down and pull lead shot right outta my box!!!!! them damn loons anyways they stop lead shot duck hunting now lead as sinkers it's crazy

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #40 on: Dec 15, 2007, 09:29 PM »
Just bought some more lead split shot this afternoon.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline rich81

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #41 on: Dec 15, 2007, 10:37 PM »
i eat lead for breakfast ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.