Author Topic: Do you fish alone?  (Read 11852 times)

Offline jasong31

• Team IceShanty Regular
Do you fish alone?
« on: Dec 03, 2007, 10:53 AM »
Not all of us have the ability to fish with a group all the time. Maybe you don't have many friends cause youre new to the area. Maybe you just like fishing alone?

Do you fish alone? If so why?

Does it bother you to be the only one on the ice ?

Thoughts?

Offline Haywood

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Do you fish alone?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 03, 2007, 11:01 AM »
occasionally I will fish alone, but not until there are a good 7+" of ice out there.  I have never really wondered if it has bothered me to fish alone.  Sometimes the peacefullness of someone blarin their death metal and the sound of someones snowmobile going 80 mph, 10 feet from your fish house, just relaxes you after a day of work or of listening to the wife.   ;D

Offline holehawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 03, 2007, 11:03 AM »
Not all of us have the ability to fish with a group all the time. Maybe you don't have many friends cause youre new to the area. Maybe you just like fishing alone?

Thoughts?
well....let it not be said that i'm not a people person.. ;)..but yes i do like to fish alone...saves my secret spots..i get all the beer..& get to fish as early or late as i want.. ;D the only time being on the ice alone bothers me is when its`thin & crackin all around me  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Offline Loves To Fish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 03, 2007, 11:12 AM »
Fishing alone has never bothered me. My job allows three to four days off a week. I can't find someone to fish with me everytime I want to go, so I end up heading out by myself. Sometimes the fishing is better with less traps in the water, less comotion to spoke the fish. I enjoy just being outdoors. Another day afield, and I learn something new.
Don't get me wrong, my favorite thing in the winter is getting together with a great group of people, cooking deer steak, and catching fish, but when nobody else has the day off, I never hesitate to go by myself.

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #4 on: Dec 03, 2007, 11:15 AM »
I love to fish on the ice alone...there is nothing more relaxing and peacfull.....that being said I like to have my buddies around as well, they cant get out as much as I do, so i get the best of both worlds,

Offline scavengerj

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Warm hands, warm feet and tight lines!
« Reply #5 on: Dec 03, 2007, 11:17 AM »
Usually it is just me and the G-unit. There are times when I like to be out there alone and others not. Do like to meet others and fish together to learn new things and techniques. Just don't meet up with many if at all...bad breath maybe  ??? ??? ???
DMS #525
AMSA #1102
OBPA
RFA #1053456E

Offline Icer for life

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 03, 2007, 11:20 AM »
I enjoy fishing company, but fishing alone is great as well.  Out on the bucket, no one around, just me, the fish, the great outdoors, the quiet, sometimes it's exactly what the doctor ordered.....lots of peace.

Offline Fish Farmer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Dec 03, 2007, 11:33 AM »
I usually am fishing alone. Some of my friends want the conditions to be just right, i.e. relatively warm, over a foot of ice, yada, yada. Or they like to ski. Or sleep in on the weekends ::).

If I'm setting up tipups, I would rather be in a group, but if I am jigging, alone or with a couple others to pinpoint where they are biting ;D.

Offline darkhousefisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Me and my fishing buddy
« Reply #8 on: Dec 03, 2007, 11:45 AM »

Thoughts?

Spearing seems to be a solitary sport, but I am new to the area and do not know anybody, which partly explains why I fish alone.  It doesn't bother me to fish alone, but I also enjoy the company of others.  If nobody wants to go fishing on the days I go, then solo it is. ;D

Offline Mama Pesce

• IceShanty Rookie
  • are you sure its safe?
« Reply #9 on: Dec 03, 2007, 11:48 AM »
I don't think that anyone should be on the ice alone.  Even if it appears safe, there's always the possibility of a soft spot.  I like to fish with my husband and children.  It's a nice family time.  I also like to see the shoreline, it makes it appear safer, although it really isn't. 
From whose womb comes the ice? Who gives birth to the frost from heavens when the water becomes hard as stone,when the surface of the deep is frozen? JOB 38:29-30

Offline rich81

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Dec 03, 2007, 11:53 AM »
i do fish alone and don't mind,   but i like company too. the best thing about fishing alone is the peace and quiet

Offline Baxter1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 03, 2007, 12:18 PM »
Usually go with my better half.We work different schedules alot of times so i go by myself.I try to get my dad to go also.He's retired ,but I think he retired from fishing and hunting.he always has somehting to do.
HAVE A CRAPPIE DAY

Offline hard_water

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • rippin lips all over NY
« Reply #12 on: Dec 03, 2007, 12:35 PM »
There are times i dont mind fishing in a group but i prefer to fish alone or one other person. i feel i pay closer att. to whats going on and also it makes it easier to move around and find the fishes. and another plus my fish attractant and my jagermeister seem to last longer. ::) ::) ;D :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:

Water
GET THE NET !!!!!!!GET THE NET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline baldy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 03, 2007, 01:22 PM »
I think there is a time and place. 
I like to fish alone.  I don't have to leave or be home at a certain time.  I don't have to hear another person yapping.  If I need to hear someone talk, God is always there.
I don't mind fishing with a few others as well some times. 

Offline frozentoes

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Dangit..missed 'em...again!!!
« Reply #14 on: Dec 03, 2007, 01:29 PM »
I fish alone about 80% of the time. I am laid-off every winter and the guys I usually ice fish with all work real jobs during the day ;D
I don't mind it at all. I can run and gun to stay on top of fish without worrying about somebody else.
But when the weekends roll around, I am just as happy to get with the guys and really fish hard, laugh, and have a good time out on the ice.

Offline pizalm

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Git-R-Done
« Reply #15 on: Dec 03, 2007, 01:30 PM »
I'll fish alone, it doesn't bother me at all. It's very relaxing not having to deal with anyone. I don't think it's tons different then fishing with a someone most of the time. There isn't much talking most of the time anyways if the main goal is to fish.
pour me another one, I'm finished with the other one

Offline Blaine

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Dec 03, 2007, 01:31 PM »
I hate fishing alone. I prefer to have a friend or two along. It's always more productive with more lines in the water. My partners tend to fish as hard as I do and chances are SOMEONE is going to see a big fish that day.

This year I'll be fishing alone a lot. I have permission to fish some exclusive water and I'm not supposed to bring guests. :'(  I don't have to be to work till 10 AM during the week so I'll be hitting the ice for a few hours before work at least a few days a week  :tipup:

Offline ULTRAlite

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice is Nice
« Reply #17 on: Dec 03, 2007, 01:59 PM »
50 / 50

If anyone comes along with me, it's one or two people.  The other half of the time I am solo.  Once per hardwater season myself and some friends / family get together for a group fish - 10-15 people.

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r174/cory_r_t/ablogo1xf11-1.gif[/img]     

VIDEO >> The 2010 Season Begins - EARLY ICE SESSION

Offline Mama Pesce

• IceShanty Rookie
  • are you sure its safe?
« Reply #18 on: Dec 03, 2007, 02:10 PM »
I think there is a time and place. 
I like to fish alone.  I don't have to leave or be home at a certain time.  I don't have to hear another person yapping.  If I need to hear someone talk, God is always there.
I don't mind fishing with a few others as well some times. 
You're answer is the best one yet, God is always there and His voice is the best voice to listen to.
From whose womb comes the ice? Who gives birth to the frost from heavens when the water becomes hard as stone,when the surface of the deep is frozen? JOB 38:29-30

Offline Kodiakman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Start everyday as if it has a purpose.
« Reply #19 on: Dec 03, 2007, 02:11 PM »
Up until recently, if I had someone to take along/tag along with then all the better. unfortunately my schedule always got in the way so I had to get used to fishing alone a lot.  I don't mind it really, the solitude can be just what the doctor ordered after a long week at work...but not all the time.  Now I find myself in the opposite situation.  I got a new job but had to move to a new city, I have 3 or 4 days off every week but don't know anyone.

Offline jon in ct

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Dec 03, 2007, 02:14 PM »
I don't mind fishing alone at all.  Company is great but since I recently moved to NY I don't really know anyone up here yet. 

Offline madporider

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Dec 03, 2007, 02:24 PM »
i dont mind fishing alone just try not to be the only guy on the ice during early ice or late ice when my chances of something bad happening are increased
give a man a fish and feed him for a day teach a man to fish and his wife will hate you for the rest of her life

Offline TonyTheIceMan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Dec 03, 2007, 02:29 PM »
Yes, I usually fish alone though I prefer to fish with someone.  I am retired and do most of my fishing during the week.  I once went to the local Senior Citizens club to see if I could find some fishing buddies but none of them fished at all.  They play golf but I am not old enough to chase little white ball for 3 miles over hill and dale.  So, if there are any old but young at heart retirees in Norther NJ or Southeastern NY who want to go fishing, send me a message.

Tony

Offline Boatless

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Dec 03, 2007, 03:21 PM »
I usually only fish alone when no one else wants to brave the elements. Probably only twice last year though.

Offline fish_finder

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Dec 03, 2007, 03:33 PM »
 I go alone sometimes but usualy there is someone to go with, my uncle is retired  so he has a lot of time on his hands we usually always go together, if not with him then with my little brother or one of my friends
Theres only 3 seasons..open water, hunting and icefishing!

Offline polarfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ICE ICE BABY
« Reply #25 on: Dec 03, 2007, 03:35 PM »
fish alone 95% of the time. OOOHHHH that peace

Offline Whatpole

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #26 on: Dec 03, 2007, 03:46 PM »
I usually fish with one other person, most of the time, it is the girlfriend. It is fun to joke and kid around when the fish aren't biting, and is nice to have an extra set of hands when they are. My main three people I go with don't drink, so that means they can drive me home when I do.  :thumbsup: I have a feeling I am going to be fishing alone a few times this year (since my main fishing partner moved to Alaska  ;D), but that is alright to. I won't have to drag as much stuff along to keep other people warm and fed.  :roflmao: I am always looking for people to go fishing with, so I f ya want to go, PM me, and we will see if we can get a plan worked out.
"Isn't he precious." My daughter looking at a 12" walleye
"The Green Hornet strikes again!"

Offline jeepsw1

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Zippo Outdoor pro-staff
« Reply #27 on: Dec 03, 2007, 04:15 PM »
I fish alone about 80% of the time. I am laid-off every winter and the guys I usually ice fish with all work real jobs during the day ;D
I don't mind it at all. I can run and gun to stay on top of fish without worrying about somebody else.
But when the weekends roll around, I am just as happy to get with the guys and really fish hard, laugh, and have a good time out on the ice.

That sums up my experience just about dead on. 

Offline beeverfishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Dec 03, 2007, 04:15 PM »
Normally I fish alone.  On occasion my gf will go.  This year I am hoping to get a few friends out on the ice.  They seem interested, but we'll see what happens once it gets cold.  I really don't mind going alone, I enjoy the solitude, but at times it would be nice to have company along.

Offline nyr114

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Dec 03, 2007, 04:20 PM »
I always fish with my dad whether it's during the week or on the weekends. My dad is my boss at work, he owns the company so he can fish any time he wants. On the weekends we go with my brother and sometimes if my dad can't go I will bring a friend. I can't remember if I ever fished alone.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.