New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Baddd vibes..  (Read 897 times)

Offline gair-z

• Team IceShanty Addict
Baddd vibes..
« on: Dec 30, 2006, 10:53 PM »
I was just thinking..  after reading a bunch of posts from NY and Penna boards it seems as though there a quite a few of us just itching to get on ice.. any ice, be it 2" or 3" ..  Let's try to keep it real here..  I don't wanna play Dad or anything like that but I have a bad feeling that there are some out there that are itching so bad they may take some risks that they might not normally take.  (not camo and the boys - I have some faith in those guys)..  I'm talking about the green horns.  Guys lose there lives every year ice fishing whether it be on 3" or 8".  I'm just trying to put a wake up call into some fella's heads is all.  I'll take a quote from the TV show Hills Street Blues..  and if y'aint' old enough to remember the show please listen up! 

LET's BE SAFE OUT THERE!!!

gair-z 
Pres.    Cuba Lake Crappie Killers (pre Ice Shanty) (defunct)
2007 1st place Cuba Lake Wizard tourney - Perch
2013 1st place DSO Ice Tourney - Bluegill

Offline crappieslayer22

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • damn dinks
Re: Baddd vibes..
« Reply #1 on: Dec 30, 2006, 10:55 PM »
deffently be safe 8)
Loren W
ST.Croix
Iced Slabs
28 in walleye
15 in crappie
14 in perch
12 in golden shiner
25 in pickerel
11 1/4 in bluegill
6 1/2 pound largemouth
36 in lake trout

Offline bayonne

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Dec 31, 2006, 04:38 PM »
unfortunatley their will always be guys that try going out on thin ice and some will pay with their lives i my self will never go on less than 4 in ive seen guy in nj use planks to get out on to less tha 4 they are nuts if the shore line not locked up im not going plain and simple if nothing else think of your loved ones do you want to put tham thru the pain of looseing a loved one

camo_fish

« Reply #3 on: Dec 31, 2006, 04:55 PM »
.. any ice, be it 2" or 3" ..  Let's try to keep it real here..  I don't wanna play Dad or anything like that but I have a bad feeling that there are some out there that are itching so bad they may take some risks that they might not normally take.  (not camo and the boys - I have some faith in those guys)..  I'm talking about the green horns. 
So true, so true.
I've never been on such thin ice as I was on yesterday. It was a weird felling indeed.

We started out with life jackets and 100' rope with all three of us on it. 1 at each end and me in the middle and stayed spread out as the 1st person used the spud bar cutting holes checking the ice thickness. We noticed that if we got out past 4'-5' of water the ice got to thin for us. After we had enough holes popped we went back for the gear and then set up.  ;D

We then tied the 2 life jackets to the 2 ropes that we had and always had them along side of us as we moved along the ice.

So please don't go out alone and make sure you have picks, life jackets and rope with you when you guys adventure out on this early ice.

Stay on top and tight lines for the one using there heads and need that ice therapy badddd.

Offline coldbum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 01, 2007, 08:30 AM »
A few other things to consider when fishing out there in early ice:

Have an extra set of clothes in case you get wet, getting dry makes it easier to get warm.

Have a cell phone, I know some of us fish remote lakes with out service but elevation can get you POS service from a cell tower in certain cases.

Let people close to you know where you are going and when you are coming back.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.