The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Minnow tank Sorry bait dealers  (Read 10429 times)

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
Minnow tank Sorry bait dealers
« on: Nov 04, 2006, 08:21 AM »
Heres some pictures of my minnow tank   all filled and ready for this season!   Ive had it running for 5 months now!   about 650 to 700 minnows!
 ;D
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline perchking4ever

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Minnow tank Sorry bait dealers
« Reply #1 on: Nov 04, 2006, 08:37 AM »
I'm thinking about making some sort of big container to keep my bait alive. I used a cooler last year but it just was to small.

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • R.I.P. Bobberstop 6-14-1944 ~ 7-21-2010
« Reply #2 on: Nov 04, 2006, 08:41 AM »
nice set up MH! i will take a few pics of my new tank when its finished...for now i got fish swimming in anything that will hold water  :D

Offline jayswimmer09

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • flag!!! dont u love that word?
« Reply #3 on: Nov 04, 2006, 08:47 AM »
sweet wish i could make one of those!!

Offline Strike Lead

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Oakland, Maryland
« Reply #4 on: Nov 04, 2006, 08:50 AM »
Just Wonderful!

This is the kind of thing I can work on while waiting for ice. Other photos different set ups would be appreciated.
My biggest worry is that my wife (when I'm dead) will sell my fishing gear for what I told her I paid for it.  ~Koos Brandt

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Nov 04, 2006, 09:01 AM »
All it is is a 55 gallon drum   cleaned out!!!!  mine held sodium hydroxide I had to neutralize it  a walmart pond pump and pond filter pumping into a pond basket filled with charcoal and filter medium  bottom bung is a faucet and garden hose that I drain water out each day   I don't have 50 bucks into it

Offline vipercat64

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Nov 04, 2006, 03:43 PM »
What do you feed them?  It is still a while 'til there is enough ice to get out onto...
I love a flag!!!!

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7 on: Nov 04, 2006, 04:52 PM »
bought the fishfood pellets also from walmart  and run it thru a coffee grinder   also throw them some regular fish food flakes

Offline jrelaxin

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • justrelaxin
« Reply #8 on: Nov 04, 2006, 04:53 PM »
dry dog food works too in a pinch...usually mine in there long enuff to need food.
Donuts !!!!!       

Dave

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #9 on: Nov 04, 2006, 05:12 PM »
I found the dog food makes a mess and clouds the water   also nitrates seemed to increase   with the amount I have now I wont need to buy any this year    except during the turny up here Ill prob fork out the $$ for a doz smelt >:(

Offline madpistoleer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Nov 04, 2006, 07:41 PM »
Wow, thats a real nice setup. Im still trying to figure out what im gonna do this year.
Remember! 'I' before 'E' (Except in Budweiser).

Offline jayswimmer09

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • flag!!! dont u love that word?
« Reply #11 on: Nov 05, 2006, 02:39 PM »
what kind of filter did u use??

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #12 on: Nov 06, 2006, 06:41 AM »
what kind of filter did u use??
first is the pond filer   that the pump is in then pump it up to a basket that has foam bio balls and fish tank filters layed into it

Offline youngster

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • EAT OR BE EATEN
« Reply #13 on: Nov 06, 2006, 07:18 AM »
Mainehazmt , i have a tank like that also, but i have a 50-60 gallon aquarium filter in 1 end and a power head in the other end. we,ve been pretty cold around wny last couple nites . i went out to drain some water off and it just trickled out . after a few minutes come out good. im hopin i dont have trouble with the spigot in the bottom bung freezin up in winter. i like your basket filter. better and probably cheaper than buyin the cartridges i use. does your water move  alot or is there just a small current. i was wonderin if havin strong current was detremetal. can i get the bio sponge stuff at pet store?? any opinions or info appreciated. been thinkin of adding a airstone. even with power head they dont seem very lively.... maybe i just got a bad batch of fatheads.
youngster

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #14 on: Nov 06, 2006, 07:29 AM »
Mainehazmt , i have a tank like that also, but i have a 50-60 gallon aquarium filter in 1 end and a power head in the other end. we,ve been pretty cold around wny last couple nites . i went out to drain some water off and it just trickled out . after a few minutes come out good. im hopin i dont have trouble with the spigot in the bottom bung freezin up in winter. i like your basket filter. better and probably cheaper than buyin the cartridges i use. does your water move  alot or is there just a small current. i was wonderin if havin strong current was detremetal. can i get the bio sponge stuff at pet store?? any opinions or info appreciated. been thinkin of adding a airstone. even with power head they dont seem very lively.... maybe i just got a bad batch of fatheads.
I started with 2 aquarium filters   but    was alot of work  and nitrate levels went high alot of the time thats why I switched to the pond filer and pumps and the homemade filter system    all the parts I used I got wrom walmart except the tubing     Im also going to eather move the set up to the enteance to the basement or pump the water thru my beer and bait refigerator to start cooling them down

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #15 on: Nov 06, 2006, 02:06 PM »
well today was the end of minnow trapping   had to pull the traps    1 1/2" of ice on the pond  dont want to loose the traps     I estimate I have 750+ minnows now   should hold me over the winter   5 months of work 3 months of fishing   hmmm    still cheaper

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.