The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Newish to VT fishing  (Read 899 times)

Offline KillerFish

• Team IceShanty Addict
Newish to VT fishing
« on: Jan 20, 2019, 10:58 PM »
First year fishing with a VT license. Had success at Chittenden Reservoir two weeks ago - hoping to target salmon/smelt in a day/night combo trip. Really just looking for help with a spot.

Right now thinking Harriman Reservoir or Lake Dunmore - anyone have any advice on if these lakes will offer what I hope to target. Also, I will be on foot - if that influences decisions. Thank you in advance for any help. Feel free to pm if preferred. :tipup:

Offline thefishingweatherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Newish to VT fishing
« Reply #1 on: Jan 21, 2019, 07:40 AM »
Not super familiar with waters in southern VT, but I can tell you my friends and I jigged up about 200 small (3 - 4") smelt on Dunmore on Saturday in 65 feet of water. They were there, in a large cloud, for most of the afternoon. We got one small, 10" salmon jigging, but there are some very large salmon in there, so you might run into them. We had decent luck jigging lakers, with one that was 26" and one that was 28". Definitely worth checking out!

Offline KillerFish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 21, 2019, 09:17 AM »
Not super familiar with waters in southern VT, but I can tell you my friends and I jigged up about 200 small (3 - 4") smelt on Dunmore on Saturday in 65 feet of water. They were there, in a large cloud, for most of the afternoon. We got one small, 10" salmon jigging, but there are some very large salmon in there, so you might run into them. We had decent luck jigging lakers, with one that was 26" and one that was 28". Definitely worth checking out!

Thank you very much for the info. Looks like Dunmore is on the list! Any info re: Harriman would be much appreciated! Thank you again.

Offline Fish Farmer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 21, 2019, 10:55 AM »
Find the depth map of Dunmore on the VT DEC website.

If you want salmon/smelt/lakers, stay in the north basin. You can access good deep water not far off the state boat launch on the west shore. I would start in areas around 50 to 70 feet of water. Look for the areas where most people set their shanties...those are the usual areas people troll during the spring for salmon. You can also do well away from the crowds out in deeper water.

If you set up in the evening make sure to have reflective gear/lights on your shanty, Dunmore is know for folks barreling down the lake at top speed on snowmobiles.

There is a derby going on there the first weekend of February, so it will be packed.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.