The Ice Fishing MA is board

Author Topic: My heart break.  (Read 794 times)

Offline stitch

• Team IceShanty Addict
My heart break.
« on: Jan 28, 2019, 02:46 PM »
Lost a very large brown sun because the nils hook and chain on my jig failed.straightened the hook out and he took off like he owed me money.went up to my elbow after him but to no avail.i will be changing all of those hook and chain combos beforr next trip.any one ever have that happen?

Offline manitron2

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: My heart break.
« Reply #1 on: Jan 28, 2019, 02:52 PM »
Sorry for your loss Bob. I have always suspected that would be the case if I ever hooked a large fish with a hali. They are very effective given the action of the chain hook but common sense tells you a chain that small will be the weakest link. Pun intended.
Get off the fence and protect your rights!

Offline SalmonAndStriper Stalker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 28, 2019, 03:01 PM »
Why I refuse to use a hali for anything besides bait. I broke the chains on shiners let alone gamefish.

Offline stitch

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 28, 2019, 03:04 PM »
I was actually targeting perc and gills in. Shallow water was not expecting that at all.have caught some bows in that area but nothing i call a monster.im still whining about it.

Offline jigmaster5

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 28, 2019, 03:13 PM »
Lost a very large brown sun because the nils hook and chain on my jig failed.straightened the hook out and he took off like he owed me money.went up to my elbow after him but to no avail.i will be changing all of those hook and chain combos beforr next trip.any one ever have that happen?

yes, i've broken the chain on hali's....now use a split ring + single hook like on a swedish pimple.  never again.

Offline stitch

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 28, 2019, 03:19 PM »
I was thinking of the split and long shank small streamer hook.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.