The Ice Fishing MA is board

Author Topic: Lake Buel Thin Ice Caution  (Read 3246 times)

Offline chuckle

• IceShanty Rookie
Lake Buel Thin Ice Caution
« on: Jan 20, 2019, 07:56 AM »
A guy fell through the ice yesterday and was recued by other ice fisherman.

We were walking on and warned of thin ice along some of the edges and that a guy fell through earlier in the morning and had to be recued. He was brought to the boat launch and met there by the ambulance. Hopefully he's alright.
We also, understood that he had a suit on that allowed him to float and still had a hard time getting out.

From what I understand multiple groups of Fisherman helped to get this guy out. Then they used a sled and a person with a four wheeler brought him to the boat launch. Another fisherman had cell service and was able to call 911 so they were met there by the ambulance.

Thanks to the people who rescued this guy. Your all Hero's
Thanks to the people who warned the rest of us about the edges.
To the Fisherman who fell through, Hopefully your Alright.

A word of Caution
]The fisherman who fell through had a sled/gear with him that was left on the ice. As of 3:45pm yesterday it was still there.
If anybody see's the sled be careful, the sled is on thin Ice.

Location: Point off of Sackman Way and Herberts Cove . The edges along that area were all open the last week.

Offline Dieseldog

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Lake Buel Thin Ice Caution
« Reply #1 on: Jan 20, 2019, 08:02 AM »
Thanks for the report. My spud is well used especially when fishing alone and on ponds with no one in the area.
I plan to live forever. So far so good!

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2 on: Jan 20, 2019, 11:04 AM »
Thank you for the report I was thinking of fishing there tonight.  The edges there are always tricky on the western shore, early, late ice and after there is runoff.

Glad everyone was ok.

Offline xjbob99

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 21, 2019, 06:49 AM »
that was me with the ATV, luckily the gentleman fell through pretty close to me. I heard the yelling and ran over there after i seen them in the water.I tossed them two ratchet straps. Then ran back to my shanty to get my ice spikes and the ATV as close as i could. i knew he was going to need to get back to the ramp quickly. i tossed the spikes and after watching his friend struggle to pull him up on the ice i ended up going over there and helping pull him up on the thin ice. first i was hesitant because i didn't want 3 people under the ice, but he wasnt getting him by himself.  finally after a little struggle we were able to pull him to safe ice. i dont know who the gentleman was that tossed the sled (THANK YOU) but we rolled the guy on it. pulled him to the ATV hooked him to it. I took my jacket and hoodie off and covered him with it and towed him back to the ramp. as soon as i got to the ramp i ran too my truck backed it down to the ramp. the guy could not use his legs at this point so me and his friend tried carrying him to my truck. We couldnt get him in the drivers seat. by that time i saw the ambulance pulling down the ramp so i took my sleeping bag out of my truck and covered him until the emts got down there.

THANK YOU WHOEVER TOSSED THE SLED, ALSO THANK YOU TO THE GENTLEMAN ON THE PHONE WITH 911!

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE USE EXTREME CAUTION WITH THIS SNOWFALL! THE AREA WITH THIN ICE GOES OUT TO THE MIDDLE OF LAKE!!!!

Offline xjbob99

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 21, 2019, 07:02 AM »
side note: had one flag during this  show. went back to tend to it. lots of line out and when i went to set the hook it was snagged on something, pulled hard and the hook came free with nothing attached to it  :(. 11 full days on the ice so far and 1 8lb pike to show for.

Offline Dieseldog

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 21, 2019, 07:22 AM »
Great report. Thanks to you and others, this guy is still with us. Sounds like you did well under the pressure of saving this man. Good job!!!!!!

Offline manitron2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 21, 2019, 07:25 AM »
Great report. Thanks to you and others, this guy is still with us. Sounds like you did well under the pressure of saving this man. Good job!!!!!!

I could not agree more. Your 20 pounder will come Bob. Hopefully,sooner rather than later.
Get off the fence and protect your rights!

Offline xjbob99

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 21, 2019, 07:50 AM »
I could not agree more. Your 20 pounder will come Bob. Hopefully,sooner rather than later.

haha im in the 200lb plus club after saturdays catch  :)

Offline fishercat

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hard water or soft water just let me fish
« Reply #8 on: Jan 21, 2019, 07:57 AM »

ditto that

Offline Dieseldog

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 21, 2019, 08:10 AM »
“haha im in the 200lb plus club after saturdays catch “

Is that on certified scales or are you guesstimating? Lol

Offline short circuit

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 21, 2019, 08:12 AM »
Great job on your heroic actions to save that guys life.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #11 on: Jan 21, 2019, 08:25 AM »
haha im in the 200lb plus club after saturdays catch  :)

Good job Bob.  That area of the lake is tricky.  I know where the big girls live.  I'll meet up with you and Matt soon.

Offline THE JIGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Member of the GODS (Grumpy Old DudeS)
« Reply #12 on: Jan 21, 2019, 10:38 AM »
Thank god you were there or that guy might not of been with us today and possibly his friend might of ended up in the drink trying to pull him out.
You did everything right. Congrats to you for saving a life or possibly two.
Definitely a lot of  :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: to you for the rest of the season.
Thank you again Bob
MA

Offline Rangerboats391

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Jan 21, 2019, 11:32 AM »
nice job :bow:

Offline 2Dales

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 21, 2019, 11:38 AM »
Close call. Glad things worked out and thanks to all that helped. I've seen some sketchy ice conditions (Russell Pond, Congamond) over the past few weeks, and was wondering about Buel.  Hopefully this icebox we are currently in will firm everything up nice and safe.

Offline MrE1979

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If it was easy they would call it catching
« Reply #15 on: Jan 21, 2019, 07:04 PM »
👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👍🏻👍🏻 That’s awesome!  I wish you a season filled with flags.
It is MY responsibility to make sure my children can enjoy fishing years from now. Make sure your kids can fish.  If you see something ILLEGAL Contact the Massachusetts Environmental Police Radio Room at 1-800-632-8075 at any hour of the day. They might show up if there is enough staff working.

Offline Fishflesh

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 21, 2019, 07:47 PM »
Nice job!  :o

Offline pmaloney86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Jan 22, 2019, 09:31 AM »
Great job!  Karma will be on your side for a long while.  Good luck this season.
westernmas on the finder

Offline pmaloney86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Jan 22, 2019, 12:31 PM »
Close call. Glad things worked out and thanks to all that helped. I've seen some sketchy ice conditions (Russell Pond, Congamond) over the past few weeks, and was wondering about Buel.  Hopefully this icebox we are currently in will firm everything up nice and safe.

Care to elaborate on the "sketchy ice conditions" at Russell and Congamond?  I know Conngamond always has sketchy spots but usually north pond and especially the cove freeze up pretty good.  Same with the ice near the boat launch near saunders, obviously away from the bubblers near their docks.  Russell had 4-5 inches almost a month ago so I'm surprised it isn't locked up with several inches but with the run off from rain I could see the shores being thinner than other areas since it sits in a bowl.
westernmas on the finder

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #19 on: Jan 22, 2019, 03:43 PM »
I've found the snow is hiding thin ice still despite the cold temps.  I know buel very well and I'll be waiting longer myself.  Hell if Bob didnt post this I would have attempted that night!  Thanks Bob!

Offline xjbob99

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Jan 23, 2019, 06:58 AM »
I've found the snow is hiding thin ice still despite the cold temps.  I know buel very well and I'll be waiting longer myself.  Hell if Bob didnt post this I would have attempted that night!  Thanks Bob!

crazy even with these single digit lows. 47 degree high for thursday and rain.  :-\

Offline pmaloney86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Jan 23, 2019, 08:34 AM »
crazy even with these single digit lows. 47 degree high for thursday and rain.  :-\

Rain might not be a bad thing.  Hopefully it gets the snow off the ice and allows some white ice to build up over the black ice currently there.
westernmas on the finder

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #22 on: Jan 23, 2019, 08:52 AM »

Rain and buel are always a bad thing.  The western shores will be weakened again and the runoff runs right down the ramp....

Offline 2Dales

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Jan 25, 2019, 12:43 PM »
Care to elaborate on the "sketchy ice conditions" at Russell and Congamond?  I know Conngamond always has sketchy spots but usually north pond and especially the cove freeze up pretty good.  Same with the ice near the boat launch near saunders, obviously away from the bubblers near their docks.  Russell had 4-5 inches almost a month ago so I'm surprised it isn't locked up with several inches but with the run off from rain I could see the shores being thinner than other areas since it sits in a bowl.
Be careful on Russell pond along the Northern side from about 50 yards east of Town Beach towards General Knox. I travel by it regularly and while the rest of the pond would be iced over, this area was open as much as 20 yards from shore! Maybe a spring?

Offline pmaloney86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Jan 25, 2019, 03:22 PM »
Be careful on Russell pond along the Northern side from about 50 yards east of Town Beach towards General Knox. I travel by it regularly and while the rest of the pond would be iced over, this area was open as much as 20 yards from shore! Maybe a spring?

Thanks, possibly a spring but the only inflow of water that I know of is the backside of it where the boy scout camp is located and along the eastern end near those nice houses.  The outflow is over that way so maybe with all the rain it is spilling over and causing some current.

Cool thing that I learned a couple years ago at the scouts derby was that Russell Pond was once a reserve water supply for Woronoco paper company.  The outflow runs all the way down to the middle branch of the Westfield River.  The deeper section of the pond was the original pond while the area out towards the scouts is where Woronoco expanded it so it could hold more water.  It used to be stocked with trout way back in the day.  If they would open the beach to the public (not just hilltowns) I'm sure they would stock it again.  The things you learn when you go check the ice before a derby.
westernmas on the finder

Offline 2Dales

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Jan 26, 2019, 09:28 AM »
I know it was stocked with trout by the town a dozen or so years ago. No one reported any success in catching them. I doubt the town will change the regulations due to summer issues.

Offline Mp4244

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Jan 29, 2019, 07:19 AM »
That was me and my buddy with the sled just found the thread today does anyone know how that man made out

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.