The Ice Fishing MA is board

Author Topic: Shame on Bass Pro...  (Read 2131 times)

Offline Catch em Keckins

• IceShanty Rookie
Shame on Bass Pro...
« on: Jan 17, 2019, 09:23 AM »
Every year or so, after changing the line on my reels, I take the pile to a store so it can be recycled. So off I went to Bass Pro (Foxborough), plastic shopping bag in hand, full of the old bird nests, looking to do the right thing.  I could not find the bin that’s usually there, so I asked one of the employees where it was.  He told me that they no longer take old line.  With all of the various threats fisheries are facing, it was extremely disappointing to hear one of the most prominent outdoor retailers seemingly turn their back on this reality, probably under the guidance of their bean-counters.  BP will be seeing less of me and my $$ with poor decisions like this.
“A good plan, violently executed now, is better than a perfect plan next week.”  Gen. George S. Patton

Offline Trout471

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Shame on Bass Pro...
« Reply #1 on: Jan 17, 2019, 11:39 AM »
I agree plus there quality has been lacking and pricess have gone up, so I personally stick to the local guys now myself.

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 17, 2019, 12:06 PM »
The only problem is finding a local shop.

All the ones near where I live are gone, with only Dicks (useless) and Bass Pro (becoming worthless).

The last great small shop I used to frequent was Tropic land Marina in Dedham.
Sadly this husband and wife shop closed because some inexperienced idiot, claiming to know all about boats, got into an accident and claimed the shop didn't tell him all the "important" stuff about how to drive a boat. Even though the store won, the damage had already been done.

I miss that store, and wish there were some close by. The nearest that I know of are Arlington Bait and Tackle and one near Everett (Fish Finatics or something along those lines).

(Luckily I can still hit AJ's in Meredith when I head north to NH)
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - the Existential Blues

I am a legend in my own mind!

Offline ICEHOLE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • INSTAGRAM: MATTACHUSETTS
« Reply #3 on: Jan 17, 2019, 12:11 PM »
I MISS D&G  :'( :'(

Offline skikid00

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 17, 2019, 12:56 PM »
I've been a big fan of Cabelas but not after the merger.  It's a shame.

Offline teamtip-up

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 17, 2019, 01:04 PM »
M and D going out ...
Belsans in Scituate gone ( web site says looking for new space).  These are some really great people who were good at the gig

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #6 on: Jan 17, 2019, 01:14 PM »
M and D going out ...
Belsans in Scituate gone ( web site says looking for new space).  These are some really great people who were good at the gig

Mike is done?  That's sad news.

Offline stitch

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 17, 2019, 04:09 PM »
I m not trying to be a jerk but the next time a local or semi local shop closes thank bass pro or cabelas.i ve been working in a local shop for almost 18 years part and full time.i luv when a guy pays with his cabelas card and says they give me free stuff!!!!guess what nothing s free and sometimes it cost you more than you think.not looking 4 an argument just stating a fact .

Offline Doeslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 17, 2019, 04:19 PM »
Dont just thank bps or cabelas... Thank the internet... So many things can and are purchased online now.... Small mom n pops cant keeps up with the net... The only thing you cant get online is minnows and you may actually be able too ive just never looked.... In this age of technology small timers are getting doo doo'd on
Catch and release, into the grease!
"gotta be somebody needs some killin" ~ Major Payne

Offline fonzie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 17, 2019, 04:55 PM »
That’s a bummer, I hope Pete finds a new space he’s a good dude.

Offline SHaRPS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #10 on: Jan 18, 2019, 09:05 AM »
Dont just thank bps or cabelas... Thank the internet... So many things can and are purchased online now.... Small mom n pops cant keeps up with the net... The only thing you cant get online is minnows and you may actually be able too ive just never looked.... In this age of technology small timers are getting doo doo'd on

I agree with this. I work in an industry where we service small mom and pops shops across the US and the E-comm world is now taking over. There are still people out there that like to touch things before they buy them, that will never change. However, the new generation rather hit a few buttons, save money on gas, and keep more time for themselves than travel for product. The reality is Amazon is here and they do a great job. We just asked a room full of 50 plus people "who here DOES NOT order stuff on amazon". 3 people raised their hands. That was only 6%. When you think about it, thats staggering. I personally rather pay the local dude as well. For these guys to survive, someone has to come up with a genius idea to keep business alive vs focusing on how easy it is to lose it in this ever changing world.
Just add water.

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jan 18, 2019, 09:12 AM »
I love going to the shop and stores to look and actually see what I am buying. As for the line disposal thing, the Dick's near me never took it in.

Offline PikeKing23

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Go Big or Go Home!
« Reply #12 on: Jan 18, 2019, 09:44 AM »
Lower business taxes for the small guys.  I bet they would do just fine if they didn't have to pay big brother so much just to try and scratch a living.

Offline sams

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 18, 2019, 12:39 PM »
I m not trying to be a jerk but the next time a local or semi local shop closes thank bass pro or cabelas.i ve been working in a local shop for almost 18 years part and full time.i luv when a guy pays with his cabelas card and says they give me free stuff!!!!guess what nothing s free and sometimes it cost you more than you think.not looking 4 an argument just stating a fact .

As a local shop guy and basspro card holder I can tell you that my card gets run at local shops for 10x the money that gets spent at BPS.  I buy stuff local and then I get "free" stuff from Bass pro.  Don't assume because people have chain store cards that they typically shop there.

sam

Offline Bobbyg

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • If you live in the past, you will have no future..
« Reply #14 on: Jan 18, 2019, 01:51 PM »
Every year or so, after changing the line on my reels, I take the pile to a store so it can be recycled. So off I went to Bass Pro (Foxborough), plastic shopping bag in hand, full of the old bird nests, looking to do the right thing.  I could not find the bin that’s usually there, so I asked one of the employees where it was.  He told me that they no longer take old line.  With all of the various threats fisheries are facing, it was extremely disappointing to hear one of the most prominent outdoor retailers seemingly turn their back on this reality, probably under the guidance of their bean-counters.  BP will be seeing less of me and my $$ with poor decisions like this.

Here you go, just mail it in to Berkley the program is still going.

Berkley Recycling
1900 18th Street
Spirit Lake, Iowa 51360

Also I think you would be better off mailing it directly to them, those recycling bins you see are usually filled with non recycling lines.. braid and wire sometimes. And never mind the recycle tubes you see at places like wachusett. people usually put cigarettes water bottles/cans/ trash in those with any line. I think they just empty the tubes and throw the contents in the regular trash. But I guess its better than out in the water and all over the shores.
Negative People Are Like Black Holes, They Will Suck The Life Out Of You.

Offline Bobbyg

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • If you live in the past, you will have no future..
« Reply #15 on: Jan 18, 2019, 05:14 PM »
As a local shop guy and basspro card holder I can tell you that my card gets run at local shops for 10x the money that gets spent at BPS.  I buy stuff local and then I get "free" stuff from Bass pro.  Don't assume because people have chain store cards that they typically shop there.

sam

the local shop your swiping your card at is the one getting charged for your free stuff.. the local merchants pay those cashback bonus offers from those credit card companies or mass merchant credit cards you applied for at cabelas or bass pro or whoever.  thats why if you look really close at the cards cash credits it will always give you the full amount of credits if you shop at their store. if you swipe the card at your local sport shop its or anywhere other than the store its usually 1% earned outside of their business.. now anything in house can be 2%-3%-5% depending on level of account.  you really want to help your local shops? pay in cash
Negative People Are Like Black Holes, They Will Suck The Life Out Of You.

Offline rmoody79

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Jan 18, 2019, 07:12 PM »
Recycling is a myth, all those plastic bottles and fishing line get hard packed and sent to Southeast Asia to get buried in a hole in the jungle

Offline wardo888

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 19, 2019, 05:59 PM »
Recycling is a myth, all those plastic bottles and fishing line get hard packed and sent to Southeast Asia to get buried in a hole in the jungle

Or the Pacific Ocean  trash vortex ...  ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.