New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: mongaup pond  (Read 1236 times)

Offline jcs379

• IceShanty Rookie
mongaup pond
« on: Jan 16, 2019, 08:13 PM »
looking to go on the ice this weekend .never fished this lake .is it frozen yet?

Offline elrodalonzo

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: mongaup pond
« Reply #1 on: Jan 16, 2019, 08:42 PM »
Not sure on the ice conditions but just FYI no live bait is allowed or any motorized vehicles.

Offline jcs379

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 16, 2019, 09:10 PM »
thanks

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #3 on: Jan 16, 2019, 09:16 PM »
Jcs379 ,after 9 AM tomorrow give this bait shop a call they are close to Mongaup Pond and Waneta Lake.  Fur-Fin & Feather 845-439-4476    109 DeBruce road Livingston Manor,NY.

Steve

Offline jcs379

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 16, 2019, 09:29 PM »
thanks

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #5 on: Jan 16, 2019, 09:59 PM »
Glad i could be of some help.
Steve

Offline jcs379

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 16, 2019, 10:13 PM »
do you know what is in the lake? dec says trout .are you familiar with that lake?

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #7 on: Jan 16, 2019, 11:02 PM »
Besides trout , chain pickerel and yellow perch assume blue gills and sunfish maybe crappie. It has been some time since I fished there if you go on a weekend place maybe crowded there are snow mobile trails at this lake so between people riding them and ice fishing lake can get crowded. Don"t think snow mobiles are allowed on the ice.
Steve

Offline jcs379

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 16, 2019, 11:08 PM »
do you know if anything else is fishable ice ? i'am stuck here in downstate so  assume sullivan has good ice? superior, swinging bridge?

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #9 on: Jan 16, 2019, 11:29 PM »
Folks were fish at Superior this past weekend. Keep a watch on the Southern,NY. thread in NY. General forum. Another lake to consider is Chodikee in the New Paltz area of Ulster county. Member with screen name of Tipup28 can give you info. on Chodikee lives in the area his first name is Gino feel free to mention my name if you send him a personal message.
Steve

Offline tipup28

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ~ Gino Alessandro
« Reply #10 on: Jan 17, 2019, 11:01 AM »
Mongaup only has a max depth of 11 ft. There's a tributary with wild brookies and they may venture into the lake during the cold months but don't go there expecting to target them with success. The Catskill Fish Hatchery is right down the road and I've heard from other fishermen that they occasionally dump the big old broodstock browns into the lake and are caught occasionally in Fall/Winter but since there is no information on stocking lists, It's doubtful that it's a consistent yearly stocking. Other than that, smallmouth, chain pickerel, yellow perch, and pumpkinseeds. Never caught a bluegill there although the DEC site says they're there, and there aren't any black crappie. No live bait, so bring your jigging rods.

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #11 on: Jan 17, 2019, 12:23 PM »
Tipup28/Gino thank you for the information. I did not know smallmouth bass were present in Mongaup Pond. I had heard similar stories about the trout. It maybe worth a shot trying tipup with nightcrawlers as the bait.
Steve

Offline jiignut

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 17, 2019, 12:58 PM »
Have friend that used to work at the hatchery. They stocked from 1989 to 1994 then stopped because trout ended up with whirling disease. Toxic mud bottom. Like bathwater in summer. Expect hit or miss dink perch. No crappie either. Waneta has good crappie population. And edible there. South half of pond is submerged stump fields with deeper creek channel, textbook.

CLICK IMAGE ABOVE FOR OLDER RELATED POST.

Offline jcs379

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 17, 2019, 04:21 PM »
Folks were fish at Superior this past weekend. Keep a watch on the Southern,NY. thread in NY. General forum. Another lake to consider is Chodikee in the New Paltz area of Ulster county. Member with screen name of Tipup28 can give you info. on Chodikee lives in the area his first name is Gino feel free to mention my name if you send him a personal message.
Steve
  thanks for info ,man

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.