Author Topic: Marcum M1 don't lower ducer below ice?  (Read 4626 times)

Offline Jkoht

• Team IceShanty Regular
Marcum M1 don't lower ducer below ice?
« on: Jan 16, 2019, 05:12 PM »
My dad picked up a brand new Marcum M1 on sale for 289 (not that he needed it, but couldn't pass up the sale), and in the manual it says not to put the dice below the level of the ice. It says it can damage the ducer. Is that because it can possibly bounce beams off the underside of the ice causing them to hit the top of the ducer that causes some sort of damage? I've never heard of this with any other flasher unit and we own a FL-18, a VX1, and a showdown.

Offline Deal Ninja

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Marcum M1 don't lower ducer below ice?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 16, 2019, 05:18 PM »
I have two LX-7s.  All you have to have is the bottom surface of the transducer in the water and they work perfectly.  NO need to submerge them.

DN
DON'T DILLY DALLY!!!   ;D

Polar Bird 3T, Eskimo EVO 1it
8" K-Drill, 8" Nils Arctic Trekker, Milwaukee Mud Mixer, Milwaukee 2704-22, Clam Plate, Adapters to make everything work with everything. lol
Marcum LX-7s (2) Dakota Lithium powered

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #2 on: Jan 16, 2019, 06:22 PM »
hmmm....I didn't read my manual.

maybe they have a bad seal at the cord?
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline Fishtrekker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 16, 2019, 06:28 PM »
It’s because 1.) fish wrap around the ducer, damaging the ducer. 2.) only needs to be submerged below the water line to get a reading. 3.) way easier to remove the ducer when you need to pull it out for catching a fish.

Just my 2 cents

Offline Deal Ninja

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 16, 2019, 06:35 PM »
hmmm....I didn't read my manual.

maybe they have a bad seal at the cord?

Your comments are lost on me.  Do you need a copy of the manual?  Did you have a transducer leak when the cord enters?  Sorry, your comments are so cryptic I’m not sure what you’re saying or asking.

DN

8" K-Drill, 8" Nils Arctic Trekker, Milwaukee Mud Mixer, Milwaukee 2704-22, Clam Plate, Adapters to make everything work with everything. lol

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Jan 16, 2019, 06:37 PM »
Your comments are lost on me.  Do you need a copy of the manual?  Did you have a transducer leak when the cord enters?  Sorry, your comments are so cryptic I’m not sure what you’re saying or asking.

DN
No I just never read my manual.  I just take out of bucket and used the M1.  I read on internet that some people have the seal where the cord goes into ducer isn't good.

Offline Deal Ninja

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 16, 2019, 06:45 PM »
I have a friend that just got a new M1 over the weekend.  I’ll make to let him know about the problem.  Thanks.

Dn

Offline mrjohnny

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • to cold for me to fish..i'm packin up
« Reply #7 on: Jan 16, 2019, 07:23 PM »
It is not a problem.None  of the ducers need to
be placed below the surface,unless you have 12
or more inches of ice..
too cold ....aint going out there..

Offline icejohn

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • kids love fishing too, take one
« Reply #8 on: Jan 16, 2019, 08:36 PM »
I've had my mi/vx1 for a few yrs now...didn't remember reading about not having the xdeucer below the ice....checked manual and sure enough that's what is said....so as not to get damaged....said to center xdeucer just below surface unless 2' or more then just lower it little more.....good info.

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 16, 2019, 08:58 PM »
This is my 3rd season with my VX-1i. I always put the transducer right below the bottom of the ice and the cord runs along the side of the hole. I haven’t had any issues other than the occasional line wrap around the cable. I don’t strain the line against the cable when this happens though. I take care of it by removing the transducer from the hole. I’ve noticed that by not putting the transducer right below the ice bottom, it tends to really mess with your beam angle because you’re trying to read things clearly through ice. Anything but pristine ice and you’re going to get interference. Sure, you’re still reading directly below you but any proximity readings are shot.

I think this is more or less their way of covering their own butt when it comes to destroyed transducer cables due to user mishaps. I doubt there is any difference between the VX-1i and the M1 transducer.
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Offline eyeflyer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 16, 2019, 09:40 PM »
I have had my VX1 for probably 10 years or so and have always had the xducer at the bottom of the hole and have had no problem. I always fish the same hole my cable is in as I imagine most people do.............why the 30-36"" cable if you are suppose to leave the xducer at the surface.?

Offline Jkoht

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 17, 2019, 06:19 AM »
So it seems like the general consensus is that this warning is because of physical damage from fish. I could see that they put that in there so they don't have to replace a damaged ducer on their dime because someone wrapped a pike around it.

Offline Old Goat

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 17, 2019, 08:06 AM »
I wonder if both old manuals and newer ones say the same thing might be worth checking out. Then didn't one unit ( I think LX 7 ) have difficulty reading well in shallow water.

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jan 17, 2019, 08:19 AM »
If I recall correctly, I do believe my VX-1i manual did mention the same thing. However, after watching IDO for like 5 seasons in a row and seeing how they treat their flashers, I figure I’m still babying it. None of those guys center the ducer and they always have it below the ice. They also slam down $1000 units but hey, the perks of having sponsors.

The most damaging acts to the transducer is using it to pop skimmed over holes, letting it fall on to the ice when setting it down, and line cuts. Like I said earlier, it’s more than likely Marcum relinquishing liability to the customer so they aren’t warranting $100 transducers all season.
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Offline Old Goat

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 17, 2019, 08:23 AM »
go back farther

Offline Whytie

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Jan 17, 2019, 08:33 AM »
I put mine down to the underside of the ice, otherwise I get signal interference when the ice is thicker than 20". When the ice is only 12" thick it doesn't have to be the full length down. I'm sure if you placed the transducer dead center you would be okay. but then it gets in the way of your line.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #16 on: Jan 17, 2019, 08:53 AM »
Marcum uses a pretty soft cord for their ducers, this is lawyer talk for "we are not replacing your ducer due to cuts from line". But they dont want to look like a bunch of jerks so instead they say to always keep it above the bottom of the hole. ALL ducers work best slightly below the hole, do it at your own risk.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #17 on: Jan 17, 2019, 11:11 AM »
i've always used the arm to hold the transducer so only the air from the base of the transducer is removed. that's it's job and same for the stopper. it was different at first.
now i like it much better than having the transducer hanging below the ice plate. it is not in the way at all. in fact it is easier by far to land fish using it this way. maybe if you drill a 3 inch hole it may be in the way.
it also lends a hand with rejection from stray sonar return signals by allowing the ice to act as a shield. you can always make an extra hole for it and still beneficent from the ice blocking stray signals.

the swim noodle method was the worst to use.

hanging it under the plate would always get a tangle if not raised up in time and freeze to the ice.

M1 manual page 3
https://marcum.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/454/~/m1-manual

We recommend setting your stopper to have the transducer down the least amount possible. The MarCum M1 puts out enough power that in most cases it is not necessary to have your transducer down more than a few inches below the water line to get a good reading. When the ice thickness is over two feet, it may be necessary to have your transducer set somewhat farther down.

page 4 for lx7 for comparison
https://marcum.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/319/~/lx-7-manual

The MarCum Digital Sonar puts out enough power that in most cases it is not necessary to have your transducer down more than a few inches below the water line to get a good reading. When the ice thickness is over two feet, it may be necessary to have your transducer set somewhat farther down.

Offline Icer for life

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jan 17, 2019, 11:27 AM »
Hmmm.....

Love this site, learn a lot, thanks for all the shared information.

I've still yet to hit safe ice here in SE Michigan, but when I do get on this year, I will try the "only a few inches".  Not so much worried about the ducer or cord, just a hell of a lot easier and fewer tangles.

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #19 on: Jan 17, 2019, 12:21 PM »
I put mine down to the bottom of the ice hole so I can get the cable all the way to the outside of the hole. I will pull it if I get a good fish on. Unless you have perfectly clear ice or less than say 8" of ice the signal will not get as good a cone angle if there are some air bubbles or white ice on thicker ice. We are nearing 18" of ice here.

Offline Sylvanboat

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Jan 17, 2019, 06:15 PM »
The transducer sends out a signal that looks like a cone.  Isn't that signal interfered with if the transducer is not below the bottom of the ice?

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #21 on: Jan 17, 2019, 06:25 PM »
I think that if the transducer is below the ice, and you yank it out.  It may catch on the edge of the ice.  Do it enough and the seal where the cord goes into is compromised.

Offline maddogg

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Jan 17, 2019, 06:31 PM »
I put about 10'' of 1/4" Spiral Cable Wrap above my transducer to protect the cable from hooks. This works real well.

Offline Icer for life

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Jan 17, 2019, 07:07 PM »
I too have not read the manual (or maybe I am too old to remember).......

Check this out, right at the beginning of the video

They say hang it low.

Offline Royalwapiti

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Jan 17, 2019, 09:33 PM »
The video shows what I do with my LX7.  It does say in shallow water, less than 10 feet, to set it just barely in the water, and change other settings with gain, etc.   
You can't get the fruit if you don't go out on the limb.

Offline mudchuck

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Jan 18, 2019, 07:43 AM »
I've used my VX-1P since bought new back in 2012. I've always drilled 2 holes side-by-side, one to fish from, the other for the transducer. I've always set the ducer down in the hole to just below the ice and never had any issues at all.
The stop is worn some now and I just double the line over  in the arm and let the stop use gravity to hold the thing at the level I want.
I may experiment with raising the ducer to be level with the bottom of the ice or to only a couple inches down in the hole from the top of the ice and see if it has any effect on performance or signal interference.

I've also recently purchased a Garmin Striker4 portable and will try having the ducer just below the surface of the water in the hole to see if it makes any difference on signal, as right now I submerge the 010-10249-20 transducer to just under the ice and see lots of echo static showing up in flasher mode (and the traditional mode regardless of CHIRP, 200mhz or 77mhz), thinking this clutter showing up just under the ice is beam diffusion from the return echo. I want to solve this before I commit to purchasing the GT8HW-IF transducer.

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Jan 18, 2019, 10:33 AM »
The transducer sends out a signal that looks like a cone.  Isn't that signal interfered with if the transducer is not below the bottom of the ice?

that cone isn't as wide as you think it is.

Offline 1moslab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Jan 18, 2019, 10:40 AM »
I run vex no problems

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Jan 18, 2019, 01:15 PM »

Offline Whytie

• Team IceShanty Addict

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.