Author Topic: atv suggestions 400/or bigger  (Read 899 times)

Offline ice fisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
atv suggestions 400/or bigger
« on: Jan 16, 2019, 06:00 AM »
Any suggestions on size of 4 wheeler for all around ice fishing and deer hunting ? Mostly to be used by myself.

Offline fishingidjit

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: atv suggestions 400/or bigger
« Reply #1 on: Jan 16, 2019, 06:02 AM »
500 cc has power to pull but not race around at breakneck speeds.Go for power steering if you can afford it .

Offline Lv2hunt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Don't get your Shanty pantys in a bunch!!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 16, 2019, 06:59 AM »
Agreed 500 or larger especially for hunting and any deep slush or snow also independent front and rear suspension and 4x4 a must solid axles get stuck alot easier and beat the hell out of you.
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day teach him how to fish and he will sit there and drink all day!!

Offline Jringo001

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 16, 2019, 07:07 AM »
Totally agree about the power steering - I bought a Suzuki 750 King Quad w/Power Steering. The machine has all the power I need in any situation. I looked at 500's but the difference in price was not too much so I went with the 750. Pulled a deer out of the woods this season and now using it ice fishing to tow my jet sled loaded with gear. Using them hunting and ice fishing is a game changer for sure. Just do your research and buy what fits your budget and overall needs. I installed dual gun racks on the front and can be deep in the woods in no time or can fish way beyond where I would normally would on a lake without breaking a sweat or hesitation in changing locations. Good Luck..

Offline Mancaveburnett

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 16, 2019, 07:29 AM »
My father had a honda foreman 300 and that thing would go through anything and had all sorts of power. With that being said any 4 wheel drive will work for ice fishing or hunting. I am 6' and weigh 230 and I have a honda rancher 420. That thing will do anything I want it to do including plowing. I prefer a Ligher smaller machine especially for riding through the woods and on the ice. My advice, get 4 wheel and go with a japanese brand.

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 16, 2019, 07:40 AM »
Your best bet is to go around to different dealers and sit on them, test ride them and pick what you feel comfortable with.
I'm from the camp of buy the biggest cc you can afford... There's no such thing as too much power, only poor thumb control.
The must haves IMO are 4x4, power steering and independent on all corners, but if your walking now even one of those china built tractor supply units will be amazing in comparison to your boots...
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #6 on: Jan 16, 2019, 07:42 AM »
I used a 400 sized atv for ten years for ice fishing and hunting. I always had plenty of power without using low range. I now have a utv with a 700 engine which has all the power I need also.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline DERBIS

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 16, 2019, 07:47 AM »
I think a 400/500 would be fine if you are just going to be lugging your stuff out on the ice and poking through the woods. These are my main uses for my Sportsman 500, plus a little trail riding. The only time I find myself wanting more power is on logging road trails where wide open still isnt fast enough.

I would look for either a Honda Rancher (foot shift) or Yamaha Kodiak for reliability.
The Sportsmans ride nicer, but are heavy when they get stuck. If you are looking for a used one, it helps if you are handy with tools.

My opinion.

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #8 on: Jan 16, 2019, 09:16 AM »
I’ve owned a handful of ATVs. I currently have a sportsman 500 HO it does everything I ask it too and plows like a *****. I’ve owned Honda and Kawasaki too, also both great. I wouldn’t go smaller than a 500. I preferred my 650 and 750 but this one I have now was just a great deal and fit the bill for what I needed.
You count your years by the Winters.

It’s not being Cocky if you can back it up.

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #9 on: Jan 16, 2019, 09:28 AM »
I will say I hate the racks on the Polaris, I think I liked the Kawasaki’s the best, and those Honda’s are bulletproof but you pay for it
You count your years by the Winters.

It’s not being Cocky if you can back it up.

Offline Lv2hunt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 16, 2019, 11:13 AM »
if moneys not to big of an option i'd highly recommend a can am ive got an 800 outlander i have over 5000 miles on it and its been a great machine never left me stranded plenty of power. pulled my moose out of woods 3 years ago like butter. racks are great i even made a reciever hitch for back and put one of those cargo haulers on the back don't have to tow a sled with that thing on.
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day teach him how to fish and he will sit there and drink all day!!

Offline Jringo001

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 16, 2019, 11:30 AM »
Noticed your profile says you are from Concord. That being said I would suggest going to Freedom Cycle (see Dan in Sales). They sell Honda, Can Am, Yamaha, Suzuki etc both new and some used ones on occasion. I found their prices are in line with Naults but they have a bigger selection. Various manufactures run sales and rebates etc during the year and with good credit financing is very low - all of can be done right there. They take customer service very seriously. Highly recommend them.

Offline Figure ate

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 16, 2019, 11:39 AM »
I've ridden a sportsman 400 since I was in high school. Great suspension  no lack of power. HEAVY AS **** if you bury it in snow. Never had any issues with lacking power, the "go big" guys tend to be trail riders looking for speed or farmers pulling wagons around their property.

Offline Lv2hunt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jan 16, 2019, 12:14 PM »
Noticed your profile says you are from Concord. That being said I would suggest going to Freedom Cycle (see Dan in Sales). They sell Honda, Can Am, Yamaha, Suzuki etc both new and some used ones on occasion. I found their prices are in line with Naults but they have a bigger selection. Various manufactures run sales and rebates etc during the year and with good credit financing is very low - all of can be done right there. They take customer service very seriously. Highly recommend them.
X2 on freedom great guys great service.

Offline bikrsrule

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Jan 16, 2019, 03:30 PM »
I picked up a used suzuki 500 and used it to get a deer out of the woods and its now my ice machine, dont know why I waited so long to get one..beats dragging deer and ice gear by hand..500 has plenty of power for me.

Offline green shack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 16, 2019, 03:39 PM »
I do everything with a Sportsman 400 including pulling a big hardside with chains.  I do want tracks in the future so I will go bigger, maybe a UTV.  I don't trail ride unless I am hunting.

Offline Hess

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 16, 2019, 04:14 PM »
The Polaris Sportsman 450s (500cc) and 570s are two of the best value 4WD ATVs on the market -- All Wheel Drive on Demand, automatic shifting, fuel injected, 4-way fully independent suspension -- would add a set of rear V-Bar chains -- if contemplating tracks in the future, go with the power steering models...!

Offline Fishermen

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 17, 2019, 03:57 AM »
Honda Rubicon

Offline captain54

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Jan 17, 2019, 04:11 AM »
I have a old 2004 Arctic Cat 400,same frame as a 500. Has the most ground clearance in its class. It's never let me down. I did buy a set of chains for it,for steep ice covered trails and extreme smooth ice.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.