The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Out of State Planning a Trip  (Read 933 times)

Offline Srbcee8

• IceShanty Rookie
Out of State Planning a Trip
« on: Jan 21, 2019, 06:53 PM »
Hey Fellas,

I'm planning an ice fishing trip to Maine with some friends and am having troubling making heads or tales of the ice fishing laws. On Maine.gov it says that all of the North Region lakes and ponds are closed to all fishing October 1 to March 31. is that correct? if so, where is a suitable region in Maine to plan our accomodations for fishing?

Thanks,

-S

Tight Lines

Offline Alex Delarge

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Out of State Planning a Trip
« Reply #1 on: Jan 21, 2019, 07:11 PM »
That is not correct. Check the wording carefully. Personally, I'd look at a region you're interested in, pick a few lakes you might want to fish and look up the regs on those specific lakes. CI means closed to ice fishing. In your defense many of us who live here have a hard time with the fishing regs as well. Moosehead Lake area is a nice place with several other lakes in the area open to ice fishing.
It must be something in the water.

Offline Srbcee8

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 21, 2019, 07:18 PM »
I appreciate th response. A friend has already found accommodations he likes in strattion near eustis. All of the lakes based on navionics maps in the area I'd pursue similar in my home state (MA) say closed to fishing winter months or no ice fishing. Is it just that the pickings are extremely slim? I'll reread the regs, I'm still trying to figure out number of tipups ect.

Offline Trout Hound

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 21, 2019, 07:35 PM »
North region ponds are all closed to ice fishing as a default, but many of them are open through special regulations. Like Alex said, you have to look up the individual body of water to see if it’s open and to see what other special regulations are in place. For instance:

FLAGSTAFF LAKE, Bigelow Twp, Dead River Twp, Flagstaff Twp, etc. (North Region). General fishing laws apply, except: A. Open to open water fishing from October 1 - November 30 and open to ice fishing in November: S-7.

Exception “A” and “S-7” you have to look up in the front of the law book.

A: Open to ice fishing and open water fishing for all fish from December 1 - April 30

S-7: All trout, landlocked salmon, and togue caught must be released alive at once.

Kind of a pain in the butt, but you’ll get the hang of it.
"Many go fishing all their lives without knowing it is not fish they are after."  -Henry David Thoreau

Offline 9huskies

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 21, 2019, 10:00 PM »
The closest places to Stratton for ice fishing are Flagstaff Lake, Greenbush Pond and Chain of Ponds. There are about a dozen more an hour or less away.

Offline Srbcee8

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 22, 2019, 06:23 AM »
Thank you all again for the responses. That's definitely put my worries to rest. I will continue to search for a law regarding tipups and bait etc. It does seem more involved, but as beautiful as Maine is it seems worth it.

Offline Trout Hound

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 22, 2019, 07:24 AM »
Generally you can use 5 tip ups per person. Some lakes have an S-8 code which limits you to 2 lines per person. 
"Many go fishing all their lives without knowing it is not fish they are after."  -Henry David Thoreau

Offline Srbcee8

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 22, 2019, 01:02 PM »
Alright, The guys have decided on Chain of Ponds. Seems like a nice fishery. Can not wait.

Offline 9huskies

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 22, 2019, 02:26 PM »
Be prepared for wind. If you don't have a portable shelter, buy or borrow one. Don't forget ice anchors. Chain of Ponds is in a long narrow valley that's in line with the prevailing winds.

Offline Srbcee8

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 22, 2019, 04:12 PM »
Be prepared for wind. If you don't have a portable shelter, buy or borrow one. Don't forget ice anchors. Chain of Ponds is in a long narrow valley that's in line with the prevailing winds.

Copy that, have been meaning to buy a shelter.

Offline shybeaver

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 23, 2019, 07:19 PM »
Good luck..

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.