Author Topic: Ifish Pro  (Read 6868 times)

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Ifish Pro
« on: Jan 15, 2019, 10:50 AM »
Good reading on the JawJacker thread and keeping the holes from freezing up... Since the Ifish isn't a hooksetter I figured I'd start a new thread on them.
I got a couple last year but only fished them once, this year I've been trying them more and getting good results so far... They take a little getting used to but I suppose there's a learning curve to anything. The flag trip is very adjustable and it takes some trial and error to get the tension you want but once it's figured out it works great. They say to leave the bail open but to me that is just a birds nest waiting to happen so I just loosen the drag to allow line to be stripped with no effort, once I have a flag I grab the rod pull a little slack and tighten up my drag while the fish takes up the slack. I use the same reels for both so I know 2 1/2 turns of the drag will get me in the ball park to a good hookset. The thing I think sets these apart from the other "rod holder" traps is the base... It covers 95% of the hole and really helps with freeze up, as well as being super stable. The couple cons I find is the size, they are big and don't store well. I can fit 2 under the seat of the bayrunner without noticing but more than that and they might be in the way when not used and they're pricey for what they are...
I haven't really seen much mention of them or seen any in backgrounds of pics so I figured I'd throw this out and see if I'm the only one using them.

"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: Ifish Pro
« Reply #1 on: Jan 15, 2019, 10:54 AM »
The fact the cover the hole is nice for a rod holder style
You count your years by the Winters.

It’s not being Cocky if you can back it up.

Offline zwiggles

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 15, 2019, 11:03 AM »
They seem pretty popular in the Midwest, and in Canada. A few of the guys I follow on YouTube use them a lot. They set the “trap” up with a minnow typically, and actively jig around it.

I have thought that these would be ideal for bass/panfish and for big dead bait for lake trout.

On a side note it’s funny how few of these you see around here. Same with the automatic fishermen. They seem much more popular outside of the northeast, and I wonder why that is.

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 15, 2019, 11:13 AM »
That's where I first seen them too zwiggles, lots of youtubers in Canada using them.
I got them to fish big baits for big bass because the flag trip can really be used well to control an active big bait but so far my theory has been backwards lol... all I've seen from the Ifish with 5" pond shiners is 2 pound bass and my biggest of this season came on a little 1" crappie minnow on a trap...
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline NateD

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 15, 2019, 11:49 AM »
I like them, I have 2. Totally agree about how they store, they are bulky and kind of a pain to take around, but they work really well in my experience using them to catch largemouth and pike. I hate messing with drag to set the hook so I just leave the bail open unless it is extremely windy. I like light braid and haven't had a birdsnest yet, but could see that being a problem with flouro/mono jumping off the spool. I tried automatic fishermans first and my hookup ratio is way better with these.

Offline Coffin Dodger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 15, 2019, 12:14 PM »
I hate messing with drag to set the hook
I'd be looking in to bait runner reels.

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #6 on: Jan 15, 2019, 12:17 PM »
No question a baitrunner! Headache gone!
You count your years by the Winters.

It’s not being Cocky if you can back it up.

Offline green shack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 15, 2019, 12:31 PM »
I have the arctic warriors for the big shiners and for big bass.  Similar concept.  I don't see anyone using them in the Northeast either.  When I first got them some guys from the Midwest actually answered my posts.  It was a learning curve but once I figured it out they work pretty good, I use a heavy 42" rod for the aggressive hook set.

Offline green shack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 15, 2019, 12:33 PM »
Arctic Warrior is an open bail setup that keeps the line tight from the bail so it doesn't go flying off the spool

Offline Nosaj

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 15, 2019, 12:47 PM »
I use the Indian Hill Nor'easters which are similar in that they have a flag and you leave the bail open so the fish can run with the bait.  I like them better than my jaw jacker because usually with the jaw jacker the fish is not far from the hole so there is no playing the fish.  The  best uses I have seen for the jaw jacker is light biting fish, deep sets and fish that hit hard and take line like salmon ( :nono:).  I use close face Spincaster reels that keep the line from being blown off the spool.  I also used closed cell foam hole covers to keep the hole from freezing up.  I buy a sheet of the foam and cut my own.  I think I made 12 for $40.  When I was looking for them I think they were $10-$12 each.

Offline NateD

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Jan 15, 2019, 01:12 PM »
Arctic Warrior is an open bail setup that keeps the line tight from the bail so it doesn't go flying off the spool

How could it keep the line tight with an open bail?

Offline NateD

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Jan 15, 2019, 01:14 PM »

Good idea, leaving the bail open with braid works fine I've never had it get caught on anything, but I've been wanting a new setup for pike. You have any recommendations in the 2500 ish size for a baitrunner?

Offline green shack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 15, 2019, 01:49 PM »
Good idea, leaving the bail open with braid works fine I've never had it get caught on anything, but I've been wanting a new setup for pike. You have any recommendations in the 2500 ish size for a baitrunner?

The line from the bail is hooked on the flag mechanism.  Works good.  I am going to try and perfect big bait JJ.

Offline HuntnFish603

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If I can hunt it, or fish it....I'M THERE!
« Reply #13 on: Jan 15, 2019, 04:39 PM »
Definitely.
I got to use my new Okuma Baitrunner that I talked about in last week's thread.
Problem solved! What a difference. I don't know how anyone would want to just leave a bail open when this option is available.
- In every walk with nature, every hunt, every fishing trip....one receives far more than he seeks.

Offline FishinDJ

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 15, 2019, 06:14 PM »
I started using them this winter and I have been pretty impressed so far. Like you mentioned, they are a bit cumbersome. I have used them mainly for pike on the river, and  I was running braid to a heavy flouro leader. Braid doesn't spool out very well, especially when its real cold. I would get a flag and by the time I got there the ifishpro was jumping around like crazy as the fish took line :woot: The thing I like most about them is the slip bobber set up. It's real easy to re set your trap at the same depth every time.

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 15, 2019, 06:24 PM »
Great trigger system, great flag design,  great that it's a "hole cover" but it's like they tried to make them as cumbersome as possible. They also seem like theyd be fragile but mine has taken some abuse so maybe not, time will tell.

Offline Coffin Dodger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Jan 15, 2019, 06:43 PM »
My bait runner reels all have some age to them.
I have Okuma Epixors in freshwater size.  I think HuntnFish603 just an Okuma Avenger? Thinking they replaced the Epixors. I had/have a few Shimano bait runners for stripers, but that model is no longer made. Either MFGR would be fine for ice use, IMO. The Okuma's are apt to be less expensive. 

Offline PortaJohnBobHouse

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 15, 2019, 07:10 PM »
Just throwing another style out there. I have been really impressed with the finicky foolers. Same concept but super adjustable trigger system and pack up supper slim. Easy transport.

www.finickyfooler.com

Offline kayl

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Jan 15, 2019, 07:55 PM »
Just throwing another style out there. I have been really impressed with the finicky foolers. Same concept but super adjustable trigger system and pack up supper slim. Easy transport.

www.finickyfooler.com

+1, a Finicky Fooler with an Okuma Baitrunner is a thing of simplicity and beauty! :)
If you're into the auto hook setters, you can get a kit to make it so your fooler can do both.

Offline meatandmetal

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Jan 16, 2019, 05:59 AM »
I use the Indian Hill Nor'easters which are similar in that they have a flag and you leave the bail open so the fish can run with the bait.  I like them better than my jaw jacker because usually with the jaw jacker the fish is not far from the hole so there is no playing the fish.  The  best uses I have seen for the jaw jacker is light biting fish, deep sets and fish that hit hard and take line like salmon ( :nono:).  I use close face Spincaster reels that keep the line from being blown off the spool.  I also used closed cell foam hole covers to keep the hole from freezing up.  I buy a sheet of the foam and cut my own.  I think I made 12 for $40.  When I was looking for them I think they were $10-$12 each.

I use the same reel on my jawjackers never had a problem with them.

Offline NateD

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Jan 16, 2019, 10:26 AM »
Definitely.
I got to use my new Okuma Baitrunner that I talked about in last week's thread.
Problem solved! What a difference. I don't know how anyone would want to just leave a bail open when this option is available.

I don't think any drag can be as "freespooling" as leaving the bail open. I like my setups to be versatile, and have zero other use for a baitrunner, but I will probably try it anyway.

Offline green shack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Jan 16, 2019, 10:54 AM »
I don't think any drag can be as "freespooling" as leaving the bail open. I like my setups to be versatile, and have zero other use for a baitrunner, but I will probably try it anyway.

The Arctic Warrior is designed to free spool from the reel when the flag is tripped by the line going to the spool.  Works well no pressure at all on the fish.  I use them for targeting big Bass.  I will take a picture this weekend to show you.

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Jan 16, 2019, 11:21 AM »
I've got a couple heavy St. Croix rods with old school Abu 5000 baitcasters on them that I'm going to try out... Probably way overkill but I think they will work well with the Ifish. Baitrunners make sense for sure too.

Offline NateD

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Jan 16, 2019, 11:34 AM »
The line from the bail is hooked on the flag mechanism.  Works good.  I am going to try and perfect big bait JJ.

Do you mean the line from the spool is hooked on the flag mechanism?

Offline ND_Outdoorsman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Jan 03, 2021, 01:55 PM »
Milk crates work great for storing my 3 I fish pros

Offline bassin212

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Jan 03, 2021, 05:33 PM »
I just picked up 3 IFish Pro’s on Facebook marketplace for $50. It was a steal, I couldn’t say no. Haven’t used them yet but excited to tinker with them. I also have 2 JawJackers and 2 Automatic fisherman’s. Both have their pros and cons but overall think I like the JawJackers better just because of the way they pack up. Much less bulky. I sprayed the bottom of my IFish pro with spray foam. And will use a cheap yoga mat on super cold days. I also had an Arctic warrior but gave it to a friend because I didn’t like it. Wasn’t a fan of the strap you have to attached to your rod.
Tight Lines!

Offline Dirt23

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Jan 04, 2021, 05:32 AM »
Use black tape instead of Velcro strap for artic warriors stays much better. May take a second to get balance point right

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #27 on: Jan 04, 2021, 05:53 AM »
Too much effort for this guy and I've lost too many fish playing the tighten the drag game.  Those ifishpro's are not for me but it probably doesn't help that I own a dozen jackers...

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #28 on: Jan 04, 2021, 08:23 AM »
I have had a Ifish Pro since they first came out ~4 years ago? I use it when I am fishing trout waters in NH (2 lines) and my other line is jigging. Right off I ordered a Shimano Baitrunner from Brittan where they sell a 2500 size, great little reel (use it in a number of situations for open water also) that I use year-round. Shimano has all kinds of different reels that I wish they would sell in the U.S. I have been very happy with the Ifish, it has worked well for what I wanted it for. I don't think I would want to set out a bunch of them as I am fine with my Heritages when fishing a "spread".

Offline bassin212

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Jan 11, 2021, 07:24 AM »
Finally got mine out to try yesterday for a couple hours. Little breezy but not super windy maybe around 5-6 mph? I was a little worried leaving the spool open but to my surprise no tangle or mess. I ended up using those rubber pegs bass fisherman use to pet their weights instead of a bobber stop. Figured that would be way easier to adjust.

Do you guys use circle hooks or something else?

I know it was probably the wind but any recommendations for keeping the line from wrapping around the flag? Happened to my twice.
Tight Lines!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.