Author Topic: ATV's on ice  (Read 6747 times)

Offline chilitokid

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: ATV's on ice
« Reply #30 on: Jan 08, 2019, 09:16 AM »
You need registration, sled covers, chains if there is no snow covering the ice, and 2 metal hitches (one from atv to first sled and one from first sled to second sled). As for ice conditions.....you need to know the thickness of the ice. Period! If you are worried about going through look for some flotation devices as they are sold.
I have been using my atv for years on the ice without any issues and come the tournament there will be 12+ inches of solid ice and you shouldn’t have any issues, except if there is no snow and you don’t have chains.
Hope that helps.

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #31 on: Jan 08, 2019, 10:21 AM »
This one is tricky.  Lots of states say stiff hitch if someone is riding on what is being towed whereas if it's just a sled with gear it's not an issue.  Where does NH stand?

Yeah in NH it's a law for anything being towed. If you are on a sled trail pulling a sled full of gear on the trail, the sled can go in the other guys lane if it's not a rigid hitch. I even have a buddy that got a ticket for towing his hardside bob house with a rope on Winnisquam. That was two or three years ago.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #32 on: Jan 08, 2019, 10:41 AM »
Yeah in NH it's a law for anything being towed. If you are on a sled trail pulling a sled full of gear on the trail, the sled can go in the other guys lane if it's not a rigid hitch. I even have a buddy that got a ticket for towing his hardside bob house with a rope on Winnisquam. That was two or three years ago.

There isn’t a person on Newfound that uses a rigid hitch for moving houses around including me. We mostly use a heavy tow strap but we’re
Only going a bit more than walking speed while moving houses around.
My aluminum house has a factory hitch on it but it’s much easier to use the tow strap...especially if you need to “yank” the house out of a heavy, bogged in, slush situation. When I was hauling sleds around I had homemade rigid hitches (PVC pipe over the sled ropes with quick connect caribiners)
I don’t think any game wardens I know would fuss over the tow methods we use for moving our houses around. Winni might be different though.

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #33 on: Jan 08, 2019, 10:54 AM »
Winni might be different though.

I wouldn't doubt my buddy talked back to the guy or otherwise pushed the envelope in some way that earned him a ticket no matter what. He's kind of an idiot about law enforcement for some reason. ::)
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #34 on: Jan 08, 2019, 10:55 AM »
I wouldn't doubt my buddy talked back to the guy or otherwise pushed the envelope in some way that earned him a ticket no matter what. He's kind of an idiot about law enforcement for some reason. ::)

Ya, that “attitude” seldom ends well...

Offline SHaRPS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #35 on: Jan 08, 2019, 11:13 AM »
I’d carry flashers/cameras on the atv.  They’ll get beat up riding in the sled.

Yep this is the plan!
Just add water.

Offline SHaRPS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #36 on: Jan 08, 2019, 11:39 AM »
Agree 100%. I have done it both ways the solid hitch is the way to go.

Nice. I bought 2 Shapell Heavy duty hitches on sale for $39 each from Cabelas a few weeks ago. This is also where I purchased the covers for the jet sled jr, jet sled 1, and the Cabelas sled on sale. $10, $20, and $30 respectively.
Just add water.

Offline SHaRPS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #37 on: Jan 08, 2019, 11:41 AM »
my rule of thumb is never trust other people..I've seen too many stupid things... 8"   of solid early season ice is my minimum.. when in doubt of consistency I creep along riding side saddle drilling holes eveery few hundred feet or any time I  see a change in shape/ or pressure ridges..getting on and off is a PITA but it beats swimming ... late season is trickey..
 I put the machine away when the ice is down to 12".. I just don't trust it..again. ..I have no desire to join the polar bear club.

Yeah this is the approach I was thinking of going with. As far as pressure ridges with an ATV. How to you proceed over these? Or do you not?
Just add water.

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #38 on: Jan 08, 2019, 11:49 AM »
Yeah this is the approach I was thinking of going with. As far as pressure ridges with an ATV. How to you proceed over these? Or do you not?
  I explore them very carefully spud in hand... usually there is a decent spot to cross. .but not always. .IMHO they are the least predictable ,unstable crossing we deal with.
I've got one to navigate this weekend. .didn't feel like dealing with it last weekend.
"A mans got to know his limitations"

Offline meatandmetal

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #39 on: Jan 08, 2019, 12:09 PM »
  I explore them very carefully spud in hand... usually there is a decent spot to cross. .but not always. .IMHO they are the least predictable ,unstable crossing we deal with.
I've got one to navigate this weekend. .didn't feel like dealing with it last weekend.

Hope you can get back on the same path you crossed earlier they are unpredictable.  ???  I wouldn't cross it.

Offline merk42

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #40 on: Jan 08, 2019, 12:20 PM »
you might consider tracks, they cover most conditions, they are expensive, but if you are thinking longterm ice driving they are great. Not fool proof however...can still get stuck in certain conditions, so a winch is an eventual must have...we carry a small 4x4 in case we need to pull ourselves along out of a slush pool or something.... I think knowing your lake is comforting... I fish the same lake every year. It pays to know the inlets and outlets and where the under ice streams are etc...that takes time but makes for safe outings. Stiff hitch a must, sled covers, all great suggestions

Offline SHaRPS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #41 on: Jan 08, 2019, 02:33 PM »
you might consider tracks, they cover most conditions, they are expensive, but if you are thinking longterm ice driving they are great. Not fool proof however...can still get stuck in certain conditions, so a winch is an eventual must have...we carry a small 4x4 in case we need to pull ourselves along out of a slush pool or something.... I think knowing your lake is comforting... I fish the same lake every year. It pays to know the inlets and outlets and where the under ice streams are etc...that takes time but makes for safe outings. Stiff hitch a must, sled covers, all great suggestions

Yeah tracks are not for this guy. My ATV is only used for plowing snow and this is the first year i rigged it up for the ice as well. I will be on the big lake 1 maybe 2 times per season but I know its a valuable tool to get around and save energy. That is of course, as long as the conditions are right with ice and snow. Locally, its been years since I have seen a machine on the ice for the most part.

Just add water.

Offline porkpiehat

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #42 on: Jan 08, 2019, 07:32 PM »
Sometimes I just trust the locals if I see people telling their houses out on the ice and there are lots of other tracks I will just follow them assuming we haven’t had enough warm or rain to damage the ice  sometimes I just trust the locals if I see people telling their houses out on the ice and there are lots of other tracks I will just follow them assuming we haven’t had enough warm or rain to damage the ice.

I’m not suggesting jumping off a bridge if everyone else does of course.

Offline meatandmetal

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #43 on: Jan 10, 2019, 04:31 PM »
Going to bump a thread I did last year "Chain or not to Chain". I think it will have some useful information.

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #44 on: Jan 10, 2019, 04:50 PM »
Nice thread! I do not have chains I plow and all. However it would only benefit I just don’t own any but I get by so I go with it
You count your years by the Winters.

It’s not being Cocky if you can back it up.

Offline meatandmetal

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #45 on: Jan 10, 2019, 04:55 PM »
Nice thread! I do not have chains I plow and all. However it would only benefit I just don’t own any but I get by so I go with it

Just got stuck hauling some wood out ordering some tomorrow too much ice in the woods in the Ice Box.  ;D

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #46 on: Jan 10, 2019, 04:59 PM »
Funny to see this thread, my wheeler battery died because I haven’t been allowed to plow since surgery so hit tractor supply today for a new charger after finding out my old faithful was junk and I held a set of chains while I was there. They were 70 bucks. I contemplated. I still can’t plow I put them down lol.

Offline HuntnFish603

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If I can hunt it, or fish it....I'M THERE!
« Reply #47 on: Jan 10, 2019, 05:12 PM »
Yup. I use the V Bar chains from Tractor Supply.
I know most people don't do this, but I chain both front and rear. Never been stuck. And have never had an issue if I have to  use 4 x 4. Plus, the steering is unbelievable on glare ice.
- In every walk with nature, every hunt, every fishing trip....one receives far more than he seeks.

Offline meatandmetal

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #48 on: Jan 10, 2019, 05:16 PM »
Yup. I use the V Bar chains from Tractor Supply.
I know most people don't do this, but I chain both front and rear. Never been stuck. And have never had an issue if I have to  use 4 x 4. Plus, the steering is unbelievable on glare ice.

Jason do you use the 2 or 4? Thinking about 2 for the front and 4 for the back.

Offline HuntnFish603

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #49 on: Jan 10, 2019, 05:20 PM »
Jason do you use the 2 or 4? Thinking about 2 for the front and 4 for the back.
You mean sets? Not sure I follow.
I use 1 set for each tire. Raiders are the brand.
- In every walk with nature, every hunt, every fishing trip....one receives far more than he seeks.

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #50 on: Jan 10, 2019, 05:28 PM »
I studded the front Instead of adding chains because my polaris would require spacers..the studs are a real bonus on shear ice
..I never took the chains off last spring.
I just adjusted them after the first trip this season. ..I also have a 3000lb winch as well..mounted on the front
With that and a snatch block I carry a ice anchor..I can get out of anything. I also carry a combo jumper pack with air compressor. I carry expired boat flares..just in case..they also can start a fire in as needed emergency

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #51 on: Jan 10, 2019, 05:32 PM »
Always prepared Joe! Great setup!

Offline HuntnFish603

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #52 on: Jan 10, 2019, 05:33 PM »
..I also have a 3000lb winch as well..mounted on the front
With that and a snatch block I carry a ice anchor..I can get out of anything.
Yeah this is such a good idea with the winch. I carry a pipe as well, so I can just drill a hole, anchor to it and get out of anything.
Luckily I've never had to use it.

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #53 on: Jan 10, 2019, 05:39 PM »
Always prepared Joe! Great setup!
I've learned from fishing alone help isn't always close bye, I need to get myself out of trouble..

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #54 on: Jan 10, 2019, 05:41 PM »
No doubt! I was the same way for years. Good call! Maybe we can link up this year when I’m healed. I got a new wheeler! I think you and I are due

Offline meatandmetal

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #55 on: Jan 10, 2019, 06:03 PM »
You mean sets? Not sure I follow.
I use 1 set for each tire. Raiders are the brand.

Sorry. 2 link or 4 link?

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #56 on: Jan 10, 2019, 06:09 PM »
No doubt! I was the same way for years. Good call! Maybe we can link up this year when I’m healed. I got a new wheeler! I think you and I are due
Sounds good

Offline HuntnFish603

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #57 on: Jan 10, 2019, 06:13 PM »
Sorry. 2 link or 4 link?
Oh yeah...duh
They're 4 link. Both front and rear. No complaints.

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #58 on: Jan 10, 2019, 06:16 PM »
Oh yeah...duh
They're 4 link. Both front and rear. No complaints.

Those are the ones I held today, looked perfect

Offline Coffin Dodger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #59 on: Jan 10, 2019, 06:30 PM »
Just got stuck hauling some wood out ordering some tomorrow too much ice in the woods in the Ice Box.  ;D
Denny, get a horse for that woods work!
You'll only ever need 2 trace chains!  ;)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.