Author Topic: ATV's on ice  (Read 6748 times)

Offline SHaRPS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Honor Respect Loyalty
ATV's on ice
« on: Jan 07, 2019, 08:47 AM »
Good morning,

This will be my first ice season with an ATV and I do plan on using it on the big lake for the derby. I will be on it as well as my old man and we will be towing 2 sled full of "normal" ice fishing equipment. The sleds are a jet sled 1 and a jet sled jr. Auger, jig rods, 2 flashers and a engel cooler with bait will also be ON the atv. pop up, chairs, grill, 2 more bait buckets, tip ups, etc will be on the sleds. I already understand the needs for registration and eye wear when operating the ATV. However, what is your rule of thumb for using a machine on the ice? To me as a novice I would say I would feel safe/comfortable with this set up on 10" plus of black ice though I know some charts show machines "safe" on 6" plus. My thing is, you really cannot drive and spud to check as you go. Any tips, tricks, or advice for a first timer? The plow will be coming off for ice fishing and a set of chains will be added to the rear tires. 

Just add water.

Offline zwiggles

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: ATV's on ice
« Reply #1 on: Jan 07, 2019, 08:56 AM »
Nice set up.

If the ice is sketchy and I was using a machine (I’m a complete novice as well). I would walk the ice I was plannng On driving with a spud first to check. That way your only walking once, and you will have confidence with your rig.

Offline Hess

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 07, 2019, 08:58 AM »
For my comfort level, I like to have a minimum of 12" of good quality ice (in part to account for the potential variability in ice conditions...) -- a set of V-Bar chains on the rear tires isn't a bad idea either...!

Offline Open-Handed Fish Slap

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 07, 2019, 09:41 AM »
The stuff you are towing shouldn't play much of a factor.  There won't be much if any tongue weight at all, the sled will maintain it's normal weight distribution.  As far as the weight of two people and a quad, 6" should be fine if it has been a solid 6 that you know you can "trust".  I know you can never 100% trust ice, but I'm saying, it's been there for a little bit, it's black, weather has been consistent, etc.  7-8 inches should make you very comfortable with that setup.  I've towed out big permanent shacks, had trailers full of people, and other very heavy items like firewood and whatnot and never felt concerned with that thickness.  Also, the plow might be nice if you have chains, in order to plow rows to your setups if you plan on setting up a base camp and waking to your holes.  Assuming you have snow.  You will benefit from chains or studs if you have no, or a lot of snow.  You don't really need anything if you have a little snow on the ice.
It's like tailgating with the possibility of catching a fish!

Offline jibbs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • C:\Documents and Settings\jgirard\My Documents\My
« Reply #4 on: Jan 07, 2019, 09:50 AM »
I have been using mine in the lakes region for the last 3 weeks...5 or 6 is my cutoff...
when chuck norris played golf for money, chuck marked down a hole in zero every time, the golf pro said, "chuck: you can't score zero on a hole." Chuck norris turned towards the man and said, "I'm chuck norris, the man proceeded to pour gas over his body and set himself on fire because that would be less painful than getting roundhouse kicked by chuck norris....chuck norris roundhouse kicked him in the face anyways

Offline SHaRPS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #5 on: Jan 07, 2019, 10:04 AM »
The stuff you are towing shouldn't play much of a factor.  There won't be much if any tongue weight at all, the sled will maintain it's normal weight distribution.  As far as the weight of two people and a quad, 6" should be fine if it has been a solid 6 that you know you can "trust".  I know you can never 100% trust ice, but I'm saying, it's been there for a little bit, it's black, weather has been consistent, etc.  7-8 inches should make you very comfortable with that setup.  I've towed out big permanent shacks, had trailers full of people, and other very heavy items like firewood and whatnot and never felt concerned with that thickness.  Also, the plow might be nice if you have chains, in order to plow rows to your setups if you plan on setting up a base camp and waking to your holes.  Assuming you have snow.  You will benefit from chains or studs if you have no, or a lot of snow.  You don't really need anything if you have a little snow on the ice.

My plan was to leave the plow at home due to some reading here on ice shanty. It was brought to my attention that some people are against plowing snow as you mentioned above because it leaves ridges after the fact and can make for un-smooth traveling for others. Something to that affect.
Just add water.

Offline Open-Handed Fish Slap

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 07, 2019, 10:14 AM »
Yea, I guess I can see that, although wind drifts and tire tracks and everything else does that also.  Up in VT, NH, ME it's very common to see full "roads" plowed all over the place with trucks.  I don't really see how a small ridge will affect much.  But I never want to intentionally ruin anyone's time out on the ice so if you feel that will cause controversy then I can see why you'd want to leave it home. 
It's like tailgating with the possibility of catching a fish!

Offline SHaRPS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #7 on: Jan 07, 2019, 10:36 AM »
Yea, I guess I can see that, although wind drifts and tire tracks and everything else does that also.  Up in VT, NH, ME it's very common to see full "roads" plowed all over the place with trucks.  I don't really see how a small ridge will affect much.  But I never want to intentionally ruin anyone's time out on the ice so if you feel that will cause controversy then I can see why you'd want to leave it home.

I can always take it and leave it on the trailer. lol
Just add water.

Offline fishlessman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 07, 2019, 10:47 AM »
put some ice studds on the fronts as well as the chains on the rears

Offline rzr800

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 07, 2019, 11:00 AM »
I have ben using an ATV for many years on the ice. I will not get on until I see 7-8 of black ice as a base. I have been on less as they claim 5 of black will hold but I am not that confident,  Run it in 4 wheel for extra traction and remember your brake time on bear ice is pretty much non existent let the engine do the work for you

Offline Coffin Dodger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 07, 2019, 11:13 AM »
Any tips, tricks, or advice for a first timer?
Covers for your sleds are nice to keep the snow out.

Offline Teamrustyhook

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 07, 2019, 01:22 PM »
I second this. I've had to dig gear out of my sled after driving only a few hundred yards in powder. Tires kick up the snow like nothing else. Also I like 8" of ice for any type of machine on The ice because it leaves room for inconsistency of the ice. I'd rather have a "thin spot" be 5" on a lake with 8" of ice versus a 3" spot on a lake that has 5" of ice. Also do a little test ride fully loaded at home because sometimes the chains will rub when the wheeler is squatted.

Offline sorelippin

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Jan 07, 2019, 02:14 PM »

X3....i have a cover for my otter sled I tow behind my sled and it's a must have in powder.  I've seen some hilarious snow mounds in jet sleds and otters that didn't have covers.  Not just for towing but for rain or snow showers in general too.  I like my stuff as dry as possible.

Offline SHaRPS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #13 on: Jan 07, 2019, 03:07 PM »

Already have covers so thats "covered"!

Also, great idea about test riding at home first with the chains.
Just add water.

Offline zwiggles

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 07, 2019, 03:23 PM »
Already have covers so thats "covered"!

Also, great idea about test riding at home first with the chains.

Where do you get your covers? I’ve been oooking for one, and with the few I have found the price made me want to puke.

Offline Mike Rojig

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Jan 07, 2019, 04:01 PM »
Make sure that your using a stiff hitch and not a rope to pull your gear with or you may end up with a paper prize if checked.. Have fun and be safe.. Good luck.

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Jan 07, 2019, 04:22 PM »
Where do you get your covers? I’ve been oooking for one, and with the few I have found the price made me want to puke.
I got mine from clam...Eskimo also has them

"A mans got to know his limitations"

Offline zwiggles

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Jan 07, 2019, 04:31 PM »
I got mine from clam...Eskimo also has them

Thank you!

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Jan 07, 2019, 04:52 PM »
Thank you!
  that is a medium clam nordic sled. .that cover fits my small sled as well,albeit baggy it's a well made nice fitting cover

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #19 on: Jan 07, 2019, 06:03 PM »
Mike you need to add a fully loaded xt650 otter to that list... ;)

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #20 on: Jan 07, 2019, 06:04 PM »
Make sure that your using a stiff hitch and not a rope to pull your gear with or you may end up with a paper prize if checked.. Have fun and be safe.. Good luck.

This one is tricky.  Lots of states say stiff hitch if someone is riding on what is being towed whereas if it's just a sled with gear it's not an issue.  Where does NH stand?

Offline jiffy22

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Jan 07, 2019, 07:19 PM »
I’d carry flashers/cameras on the atv.  They’ll get beat up riding in the sled. 

Offline sincityrednek

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Jan 08, 2019, 05:52 AM »
This one is tricky.  Lots of states say stiff hitch if someone is riding on what is being towed whereas if it's just a sled with gear it's not an issue.  Where does NH stand?

NH wants any sled being towed by a vehicle to be on a solid hitch and not rope.
I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.

Nemo me impune lacessit

Offline johnnh

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Jan 08, 2019, 06:21 AM »
Solid hitch just makes sense. When you use a solid hitch you have control over the sled your towing .  When you slow down or stop, the sled stops.
If your towing with a rope and slow down or stop the sled crashes into the tow vehicle.

Someone's going to get hurt
Just my humble opinion

Offline meatandmetal

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Jan 08, 2019, 06:32 AM »
Solid hitch just makes sense. When you use a solid hitch you have control over the sled your towing .  When you slow down or stop, the sled stops.
If your towing with a rope and slow down or stop the sled crashes into the tow vehicle.

Someone's going to get hurt
Just my humble opinion

Agree 100%. I have done it both ways the solid hitch is the way to go.

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Jan 08, 2019, 06:36 AM »
 Thumb warmer is a real nice thing to have..so are heated grips...a added both after suffering the first wintet...a windshield is nice as well especially if it keeps the wind off your hsnds.
Stuff hitches are easy  to make.. I have made many..my favorite one came from a tool around cart someone through in the trash...it is made of square tubing..Using a USB bolt I attached a 800lb capacity snap clip to the tow end....I through bolted 5 links of 5/16 chain to the "legs" to that I attached a 800 lb  clip to each..it's a nice hitch that can be removed in a instant but also can be used as a handle on the sled.

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Jan 08, 2019, 06:38 AM »
Not on point but am I the only one here that hates auto correct#

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Jan 08, 2019, 07:28 AM »
Solid hitch for sure... seen a guy on skatatukee 2 years ago his flip was stuffed up in between his bumper and back tires... taillights broken, rear fenders torn, and the front of his flip cracked all over... said he slowed and the sled caught the tires and got sucked in... lots of damage. Ruined his day and his wallet.
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline Mancaveburnett

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Jan 08, 2019, 07:36 AM »
Last year was my first year using an atv on the ice. It is intimidating at least for me to take my machine on the ice. So my rule of thumb, I wont go out unless I see other people with atv's or I follow my buddy with his. Without a doubt it makes it easier pulling a large 2 man.

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Jan 08, 2019, 08:06 AM »
Last year was my first year using an atv on the ice. It is intimidating at least for me to take my machine on the ice. So my rule of thumb, I wont go out unless I see other people with atv's or I follow my buddy with his. Without a doubt it makes it easier pulling a large 2 man.
my rule of thumb is never trust other people..I've seen too many stupid things... 8"   of solid early season ice is my minimum.. when in doubt of consistency I creep along riding side saddle drilling holes eveery few hundred feet or any time I  see a change in shape/ or pressure ridges..getting on and off is a PITA but it beats swimming ... late season is trickey..
 I put the machine away when the ice is down to 12".. I just don't trust it..again. ..I have no desire to join the polar bear club.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.