Author Topic: Mummichogs, Mummies, or Mud Minnows  (Read 2980 times)

Offline TheCrittaC

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Set the hook!
Re: Mummichogs, Mummies, or Mud Minnows
« Reply #30 on: Jan 12, 2019, 08:54 PM »
Get a good filter and change the water occasionally and you can keep shiners alive a pretty long time in a basement, even if it doesn't get cold enough to see your breath.

Offline Lv2hunt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Don't get your Shanty pantys in a bunch!!
« Reply #31 on: Jan 12, 2019, 09:09 PM »
I built a tank this year I have a pump to circulate the water and a pump with 2 air lines coming off I've been trapping shiners for about 6 weeks now and have not lost a single one. Change half the water once every week or so.they are in the basement

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day teach him how to fish and he will sit there and drink all day!!

Offline Reginald Bonz III

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • FLAG UP!!!
« Reply #32 on: Jan 16, 2019, 10:46 AM »
I have a dozen shiners in a 5 gallon bucket in my basement for two weeks.  Water change once a week, run the aerator 2 hours a day.  If you open the cover they will jump out of the bucket.
Keep those holes clean and smooth

Offline merk42

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Jan 16, 2019, 10:57 AM »
Grew up fishing with the air breathing killifish in saltwater on the Jersey shore... I know of one pond in Vt where the banded killifish breeds. they are very cool fish. There is a killifish aquarium club that breed and sells all species of fundulus. I've put some in my pond but the did not take... mostly we use chubs all winter for bait, though they look they like dace, they are not!

Offline Reginald Bonz III

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • FLAG UP!!!
« Reply #34 on: Jan 16, 2019, 12:52 PM »
They are great for bait fish.  You just need some wet newspaper and a coat pocket.  Hook em all day long and if no fish bites, unhook and fish again tomorrow.
Keep those holes clean and smooth

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.