The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Polar Vortex???? Food for thought  (Read 1494 times)

Offline Drew754

• IceShanty Rookie
Polar Vortex???? Food for thought
« on: Jan 03, 2019, 10:28 AM »
From an excerpt from Axios. The article is much larger noting scientific claims that a vortex could split 3 different ways and get pushed south. The main take I got was from the last sentence. “ don’t give up on winter yet” and “ colder and stormier weather in the eastern U.S”

What they're saying: “Arctic change has increased the frequency of these polar vortex disruption events and following these polar vortex disruption events you get more severe winter weather," says Judah Cohen, director of seasonal forecasting at AER, a Verisk company, who studies the connections between Arctic climate change and altered weather patterns.

Cohen and Michael Ventrice, a meteorologist at The Weather Company, told Axios that there are increasing signs of high pressure forming over the North Atlantic near Greenland as well as close to the North Pole in late January, which can block the progress of weather systems moving from west to east.
Such blocking patterns may be a manifestation of the polar vortex disruption, and favor colder and stormier weather in the eastern U.S. and parts of Europe.
“Eventually we do think this blocking will set up,” Ventrice said. “I would not give up on winter.”

Offline JPascavage52

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Polar Vortex???? Food for thought
« Reply #1 on: Jan 03, 2019, 11:51 AM »
Shhhh. Don't jinx it  ;D
Pro staff for:

Liquid Mayhem
Titan Tungsten
Lunker City
Toad Thumper Lures

Youtube channel:
www.youtube.com/johnpascavagefishing/videos

Offline 4x4Dad

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 08, 2019, 07:50 AM »
Looks like it's finally on its way ! ! !

Offline Stickhick86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 08, 2019, 07:52 AM »
Can't come soon enough. I'm ready to catch some eyes. Have enough trout for the smoker, time for the fryer
Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to ice fish, have his wife mad for ever.

Offline Matthews

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 13, 2019, 08:42 PM »
http://epawaweather.com/weather-weeklies/

Looks like it’s going to hang around for a while too.

Offline Scission913

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 14, 2019, 12:29 AM »
Weather channel says February is supposed to be colder than average for most of PA.  Over the holidays I was wondering if we were going to see any ice this year.  Looking a lot better now.

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #6 on: Jan 14, 2019, 09:54 PM »
My big worry now is this storm they're talking about for the weekend, if we get the worst case scenario we'll be bustin out butts to get through deep snow.

Offline 4x4Dad

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 15, 2019, 05:16 AM »
Anytime they sensationalize the weather , I take it like Fake News . We usually get 1/3 of what they say we COULD get .

Offline icecube

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #8 on: Jan 15, 2019, 10:00 AM »
  Agreed 4x4Dad!!!
Anytime they sensationalize the weather , I take it like Fake News . We usually get 1/3 of what they say we COULD get .

Offline chez

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 15, 2019, 01:04 PM »

I Agree 100%

Offline michael reilly

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 15, 2019, 02:14 PM »
i dont care how much snow as long as the ice  is safe and i can get out fishing i know it sucks but better then nothing like i thought the rest of the year was going to be tight lines everyone stay safe out there

Offline Mknott

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 15, 2019, 02:34 PM »
Won't allot of snow prevent the lake from freezing more?
: )

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #12 on: Jan 16, 2019, 04:10 PM »
Yes snow, especially deep snow will insulate the ice from the cold.  They're saying it's supposed to go down to -8 on Sunday and on Monday go from -3 to 3 so if there was no snow on the ice it'd be making ice at a pretty good clip but if there's deep snow it won't make nearly as much ice.

Offline 4x4Dad

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 20, 2019, 04:18 PM »
Some how we lucked out with only a couple inches of snow . NOW , the polar vortex takes over to build us some safe ice ! Thank you God for answering our ice prayers !

Offline Stickhick86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 20, 2019, 04:21 PM »
Some how we lucked out with only a couple inches of snow . NOW , the polar vortex takes over to build us some safe ice ! Thank you God for answering our ice prayers !

Don't come up here then, we got pounded last night
Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to ice fish, have his wife mad for ever.

Offline 4x4Dad

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 20, 2019, 08:14 PM »
Sorry Stickhick , I saw that on the radar . We sat in a pocket of no snow , then it rained for most of the storm . Woke up to 2 inches this morning . Now we're in the single digits on temps .

Offline wiggins422

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 24, 2019, 05:05 PM »
Just watched our local news weather(channel 16 wnep) and they mentioned the polar vortex coming middle of next week..Hopefully can keep the snow away this time.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.