New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: long pond  (Read 5066 times)

Offline builder

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • don't get drug in
long pond
« on: Dec 24, 2018, 08:45 AM »
whats best access for here. no ice in pa. spent last week up northern ny. great time but too far for day trips. I'm a disabled veteran and cant muscle my way on tough spots anymore.     the builder

Offline mono_mono

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: long pond
« Reply #1 on: Dec 24, 2018, 09:33 AM »
Long Pond in Smithville??
Go to Heaven for the climate, to hell for the company!

Offline builder

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • don't get drug in
« Reply #2 on: Dec 24, 2018, 11:50 AM »
Yes the lake close to Whitney Point

Offline mono_mono

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Dec 24, 2018, 12:44 PM »
Driving North out of Smithville, go towards Long Pond on RTE 41. You will come to a few state land campsite entrances. Take the second one (Left, directly opposite a lone large oak tree) You can park 5 feet from the edge of the ice. Walk out to previously drilled holes about 75 yards from your vehicle. If you dont get out far enough (75 yards) you will be in weed choked unfishable water. Good luck

Offline builder

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • don't get drug in
« Reply #4 on: Dec 24, 2018, 01:13 PM »
thank you mono. i'll be up on Thursday early for the day. black frabil 2 man with aegis on the front. stop by if youre around. also big al if you should happen to be there i'd like to meet you            the builder

Offline bigal409

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 24, 2018, 01:15 PM »
Or keep driving down the road another 1/4 mile or so and you'll see a parking area where there's a boat launch. Can access the lake at the launch. If your coming in from Whitney Point PM me and I'll give you directions from there.

Offline builder

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • don't get drug in
« Reply #6 on: Dec 24, 2018, 01:20 PM »
ok thanks

Offline Flipforit

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Dec 25, 2018, 11:02 AM »
yeah you don't want to go down those camping trails with out 4 wheel drive me and a buddy took a minny van down the 1 day it snowed all day we couldn't get up the hill luckily there was 15 inches of ice not much snow we ended up driving across the ice I had to psh to get us going but once we started moving we were good  then we drove out the boat launch lol

Offline builder

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • don't get drug in
« Reply #8 on: Dec 25, 2018, 11:57 AM »
I have a Jeep commander all wheel drive. Thanks for the heads up though

Offline lepricated

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 01, 2019, 08:26 AM »
Im headed there today. lets hope the rain didnt screw up the ice too much

Offline Rynofirefighter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 01, 2019, 08:44 AM »
I'm here, ice good wind bad

Offline Matt_Perch

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 01, 2019, 02:35 PM »
Was there with NYBasser Sunday, we came up from LI looking for good ice in sullivan county but the shorelines were no good. we made the trek to long pond and came from the boat ramp, had some luck with the Picks on tip ups ans jigged up some gills and crappies

Offline Rynofirefighter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 01, 2019, 03:28 PM »
Im headed there today. lets hope the rain didnt screw up the ice too much
did you make it?

Offline lepricated

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 05, 2019, 08:16 AM »
did you make it?

I made it there. was kind of a bust. open water at the shore line. a lot of open water around the pound. didnt feel safe. to much rain. south end was completely open water. boat launch area to the right was open water flowing pretty good.

Offline TeeBugg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 05, 2019, 09:45 AM »
anyone fishing it today? making the trip next weekend to fish around there, hoping its good!
"Quit whining and go fishing!"

Offline bigal409

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 05, 2019, 11:55 AM »
I took a drive to long pond after seeing the previous report of unsafe ice. Had to see it for myself after being on it last 3 weekends. Sure there was some water on edges. I've been saying that in my reports. But only a couple of inches of water and I walked right on. Saw several people out fishing it. As far as open water to the right of boat launch there's water on top of the lake from last night's rain but the lake is still good to go. The lake does have a small creek feeding into it on the right side and I personally won't go that direction but the entire lake is still good from what I saw. I'll be on it tomorrow if anyone wants to come over and say hello.

Offline lepricated

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 05, 2019, 05:47 PM »
I took a drive to long pond after seeing the previous report of unsafe ice. Had to see it for myself after being on it last 3 weekends. Sure there was some water on edges. I've been saying that in my reports. But only a couple of inches of water and I walked right on. Saw several people out fishing it. As far as open water to the right of boat launch there's water on top of the lake from last night's rain but the lake is still good to go. The lake does have a small creek feeding into it on the right side and I personally won't go that direction but the entire lake is still good from what I saw. I'll be on it tomorrow if anyone wants to come over and say hello.

Sounds a lot different than what i had tuesday

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #17 on: Jan 05, 2019, 09:48 PM »
I known big al for awhile ,he don't bull s--- if he says he walked on it he did ....

Offline Jcirigliano3

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Jan 06, 2019, 05:08 PM »
I went out Friday night and caught a bunch of short crappie with my son.  Edge was a little crappy, but it's literally 3-4 inches of water and you're on the ice.  I stuck my hand in the holes I cut and it went from finger tip to my nearly my wrist, close to 6".  The upper layer was a tad soft from the rain the earlier in the week, but it was good.  There were several other groups out into the evening, one had a nice little fire and were playing some classic rock on the radio.

Offline bigal409

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Jan 06, 2019, 05:14 PM »
I known big al for awhile ,he don't bull s--- if he says he walked on it he did ....
Thanks trapper. And I walked on it again today. Along with several others. Did have an issue with shoreline when we got there. Was a lot of water on edge that wasn't there yesterday. A bunch of broken ice that was at least 5" thick. Looked like someone tried to drive something heavy on it to break it up like that. A few of us took some of those bigger pieces and made a bridge to get on the good ice. Worked pretty good .

Offline Rjavery9832

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Jan 07, 2019, 09:18 AM »
Was on long pond yesterday and had a really good day actually ice has held and looks like will hold the rest of the year which is saying something because Whitney point reservoir only has a half inch left as of Sunday  at least that's as thick as I could tell from shore wading out ..met a few good guys there in am and made a ice bridge and some friends and met big Al and I gotta say from now on if Al says something in a thread I'll trust it 110% the guy most definitely knows not only long pond but ice fishing in the area

Offline mono_mono

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Jan 07, 2019, 10:14 AM »
It takes a lot to kill the ice off of Long & Round ponds. By next weekend they will be measuring 8" or more

Offline jiignut

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Jan 07, 2019, 10:36 AM »
On the ice with others around is no place to be playing music. Let’s have some respect.

Offline gonephishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Jan 07, 2019, 10:48 AM »
On the ice with others around is no place to be playing music. Let’s have some respect.

Here I (we) go again... (Awful Whitesnake pun not intended)

Offline Zeker259

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Jan 07, 2019, 10:49 AM »
I find Littering and Loud mouths more disrespectful than a little classic rock. Walleyes love the Greatful Dead.

:tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :icefish:
Fishy, Fishy down the hole. Please come here and bend my pole. I jig and jig you take my hook and then I take you home to cook.

Offline gonephishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Jan 07, 2019, 10:55 AM »
I find Littering and Loud mouths more disrespectful than a little classic rock. Walleyes love the Greatful Dead.

:tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :icefish:

Loudmouths don't bother me, I just turn my radio up!!!!!  ;)

Offline Mack2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Jan 07, 2019, 11:00 AM »

Did you ask them to turn it down/off? If not I find it far more disrespectful to complain and call people disrespectful behind anonymity.

If so, that's for the next snowflake that can't handle other people raining on their parade

Offline Mack2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Jan 07, 2019, 11:05 AM »
Was on long pond yesterday and had a really good day actually ice has held and looks like will hold the rest of the year which is saying something because Whitney point reservoir only has a half inch left as of Sunday  at least that's as thick as I could tell from shore wading out ..met a few good guys there in am and made a ice bridge and some friends and met big Al and I gotta say from now on if Al says something in a thread I'll trust it 110% the guy most definitely knows not only long pond but ice fishing in the area

I got a little wet building that bridge haha. Glad you guys were able to get out, and a little bummed I had to go home to dry out!

Offline Rynofirefighter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Jan 07, 2019, 11:50 AM »
it's not me but I like music, people enjoy going out and having a good time. I'm sure lake is big enough to walk someplace else, turn it up and have fun if you want! Don't liter!

Offline Steeeeeeeeevee

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Jan 10, 2019, 12:10 PM »
Anyone know how well Long pond held up to the rain early in the week?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.