New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Help Southern ADKs, new fisherman  (Read 2502 times)

Offline Doppler2

• Team IceShanty Regular
Help Southern ADKs, new fisherman
« on: Dec 19, 2018, 09:20 AM »
I am new to ice fishing, (my second year) and am planning a trip based in a friends place just northeast of Utica. I am gonna be the most experienced out of the three family members going, and I was looking for some sure fire ways to not get totally skunked.

I was thinking lake Piseco/Lake Pleasant. I have heard that Piseco is good for small lake trout, and that's exactly what I'm looking for. I'd prefer to be guaranteed a bunch of small fish than to maybe catch a 30 inch laker.  Any other good lakes? We do not have snowmobiles so we are limited to relatively small lakes with road access.

Any tips on where to go, what to do, how deep to fish, what to use, etc? Thanks :)

Offline pmac3

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Help Southern ADKs, new fisherman
« Reply #1 on: Dec 19, 2018, 09:42 AM »
I am new to ice fishing, (my second year) and am planning a trip based in a friends place just northeast of Utica. I am gonna be the most experienced out of the three family members going, and I was looking for some sure fire ways to not get totally skunked.
PM sent

I was thinking lake Piseco/Lake Pleasant. I have heard that Piseco is good for small lake trout, and that's exactly what I'm looking for. I'd prefer to be guaranteed a bunch of small fish than to maybe catch a 30 inch laker.  Any other good lakes? We do not have snowmobiles so we are limited to relatively small lakes with road access.

Any tips on where to go, what to do, how deep to fish, what to use, etc? Thanks :)
Pete

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2 on: Dec 19, 2018, 09:49 AM »
Welcome to the site Dopp.
Piseco is a good spot.  Plenty of parking at the 3 campgrounds.
Get some big shiners at hometown bait in marcy..  Good luck..
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline mono_mono

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Dec 19, 2018, 09:50 AM »
This is fishing. The guarantees you are looking for simply don't exist. Homework and experience can help your success (old fashioned, I know) What matters is getting out and having fun. Walking off the ice knowing you gave it your best effort is your best catch
Go to Heaven for the climate, to hell for the company!

Offline Doppler2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 19, 2018, 10:05 AM »
Thank you guys for the advice. Any idea of how deep to fish these lakes? I have read people fishing in 8 feet and people fishing in the 100 foot holes.  ???

Offline icefishinman88

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 19, 2018, 10:14 AM »
Where about you from I'm north of Utica maybe I can give you a few ideas

Offline Doppler2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 19, 2018, 11:48 AM »
Where about you from I'm north of Utica maybe I can give you a few ideas

I am gonna be near Newport, close to Hinkley resovior. I don't really have any intentions on fishing Hinkley.

Offline Kobey

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 19, 2018, 01:30 PM »
I don't know the area, but whenever I'm taking kids or inexperienced people, I always make sure to bring some smaller minnows too.  More flags are always more fun for them than sitting around waiting for the big one to come along.  Good luck!

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #8 on: Dec 19, 2018, 01:56 PM »
I'd leave the tipups at home and jig pieseco instead if you have electronics.

Offline Doppler2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 20, 2018, 05:43 PM »
Thank you guys! Hopefully I'll have at least a depth finder. I'll set a couple tip ups and focus mostly on jigging (it seems way more fun)

Offline Hardwaternubie53

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Dec 20, 2018, 08:38 PM »
Thank you guys! Hopefully I'll have at least a depth finder. I'll set a couple tip ups and focus mostly on jigging (it seems way more fun)

I always jig and use tip-ups on Piseco, out of the northern most camp ground. I usually do pretty good with the small trout. Two things to know about this lake:
  1) Last I knew, the legal keeper length is 21". I've never caught one bigger than 20". If you are just looking for fun in catching them, it is a good place to go. I have been going there for years with friends and have only ever seen one keeper taken. 2) The local ENCON officer, a REAL nice guy, lives on the lake and checks fishermen frequently. Have a GREAT trip!

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #11 on: Dec 21, 2018, 06:30 AM »
If your looking for a lot of action and panfish and pickerel look up Oxbow Lake..  Easy access and not very big....
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline Hardwaternubie53

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Dec 21, 2018, 11:58 AM »
If your looking for a lot of action and panfish and pickerel look up Oxbow Lake..  Easy access and not very big....

And not far from Piseco.

Offline Doppler2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 23, 2018, 07:19 PM »
Any suggestions for what to jig with. Spoons or jigging raps or do they prefer salted minnows? Do those glo in the dark jigs work well at those depths?

Offline tblaster123

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Dec 23, 2018, 09:08 PM »
I am gonna be near Newport, close to Hinkley resovior. I don't really have any intentions on fishing Hinkley.

Hinckley is worthy of checking out. If you can get out by the islands I've heard of nice trout being caught............

Offline Doppler2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Dec 23, 2018, 09:26 PM »

Hinckley is worthy of checking out. If you can get out by the islands I've heard of nice trout being caught............

I've heard fishing is ok, but I am concerned with the current and changing of water levels making the ice unsafe.

Offline fullThrottle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Dec 23, 2018, 10:16 PM »
I was out on a lake today south of Piseco with my atv. Lots of ice!

Offline Hardwaternubie53

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Dec 24, 2018, 10:04 AM »
Any suggestions for what to jig with. Spoons or jigging raps or do they prefer salted minnows? Do those glo in the dark jigs work well at those depths?

I use jig heads, glow in the dark or light colored and spikes with a little Gulp minnow spray.

Offline Doppler2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jan 14, 2019, 06:43 AM »
So I'm going to be staying further north now near lake pleasant,  piseco is still in the crosshairs but does anyone know of some smaller ponds that can offer some action in that area too?

Offline tblaster123

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Jan 14, 2019, 07:00 AM »
So I'm going to be staying further north now near lake pleasant,  piseco is still in the crosshairs but does anyone know of some smaller ponds that can offer some action in that area too?

if you wanna catch short lakers all day long, one after another and catch nothing else, that's the place to go. I personally will never waste a day fishing that lake, and ive had others confirm the same findings. that's not to say that there are no good fish to be caught, but id avoid that place.

if youre looking for a small lake, check out Gilman. somebody will be livid i even mentioned it.. but by now theres probably 20 inches of ice on it.

Offline Doppler2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Jan 15, 2019, 08:37 AM »
if you wanna catch short lakers all day long, one after another and catch nothing else, that's the place to go. I personally will never waste a day fishing that lake, and ive had others confirm the same findings. that's not to say that there are no good fish to be caught, but id avoid that place.

if youre looking for a small lake, check out Gilman. somebody will be livid i even mentioned it.. but by now theres probably 20 inches of ice on it.

That's what I am looking for. I'd rather maybe catch a few little lakers than to waste the trip getting skunked. Once I get more experience I'll go for the bigger fish

Offline Doppler2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Jan 16, 2019, 11:07 AM »
Might be a reports and conditions post but since I have the thread I'm heading up to piseco this weekend. Looks like we are all getting quite the snowstorm this weekend. I'm not used to fishing big lakes, do you think this will affect a hole hopper like myself from navigating lakes on foot? Is not bringing the machines gonna suck? They're not really an option due to the implications

Offline tblaster123

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Jan 16, 2019, 11:42 AM »
Might be a reports and conditions post but since I have the thread I'm heading up to piseco this weekend. Looks like we are all getting quite the snowstorm this weekend. I'm not used to fishing big lakes, do you think this will affect a hole hopper like myself from navigating lakes on foot? Is not bringing the machines gonna suck? They're not really an option due to the implications

well ya, it will make it more difficult to navigate the lake on foot. is it easier to walk on 1 inch of snow or 20 inches? I think you should be alright, a good work out never hurt anybody.

Offline Doppler2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Jan 16, 2019, 11:52 AM »
well ya, it will make it more difficult to navigate the lake on foot. is it easier to walk on 1 inch of snow or 20 inches? I think you should be alright, a good work out never hurt anybody.

That's for sure, I don't know what else I would expect. I hope the rest of the crew can take it too.

Offline Doppler2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Jan 17, 2019, 09:41 PM »
Thank you everyone who responded or PM'd me. I'll take the advice and hopefully I'll report back if anything wants to find it's way on top of all that ice and snow.

Offline Doppler2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Jan 18, 2019, 08:06 PM »

Pretty neat! Got my first laker! And another smaller one. Unfortunately my buddies didnt get one yet.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.