Author Topic: Clam Plate  (Read 2750 times)

Offline Bryfish84

• Team IceShanty Regular
Clam Plate
« on: Oct 13, 2018, 04:28 PM »
I’ve been thinking about getting one for the past few years. I finally pulled the trigger today while at bass pro here. They didnt have them out on the floor yet, but the website said they had them in stock. When I asked one of the associates, he said he would go grab one for me from the back they hadn’t had the chance to put them out yet.  It a ton of ice fishing stuff out yet there. I had some gift cards so only had to pay $29 for it. I’m hoping it goes well with my Rigid and K-Drill. 

Offline slamer58

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Clam Plate
« Reply #1 on: Oct 14, 2018, 08:07 AM »
You won't regret getting the clam plate.

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2 on: Oct 14, 2018, 09:16 AM »
'Tis a thing of beauty!

Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Oct 14, 2018, 09:23 AM »
I absolutely love mine, I got it a few years back so had to remove the chuck from the drill, but it’s nice and solid. Just make sure your not pushing down at all while your drilling, in fact with some augers like lazer and Nero you need to lift up slightly to slow down the aggressive cuts and not catch at the bottom of the ice.

Offline lynng

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Oct 14, 2018, 10:31 AM »
I have two; one with and one without the gear reduction box. I use Nils 6,8 and 10 inch augers with them depending on ice conditions and what I’m fishing for. I love them. I also have the Milwaukee Mud Mixer I use without the plate, but much prefer the Clam plate. I made the trigger modification detailed in this thread and highly recommend it:

https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=348596.0

Offline Mrpike1973

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Oct 14, 2018, 11:16 AM »
Not Clam fan but the Clam plate rocks!  One of the best things I ever bought.

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Oct 14, 2018, 11:49 AM »
Not Clam fan but the Clam plate rocks!  One of the best things I ever bought.

This 100%. I’m not a fan of Clam at all but the Plate is pretty darn nice.
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Oct 14, 2018, 12:07 PM »
Loving it myself!

<°)))>{

Offline IceAddict87

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Oct 14, 2018, 12:49 PM »
I have my kdrill attached to it and it is awesome. People always say it’s not necessary with the kdrill but i like it because you can set the auger down and not get it in the snow. Really is pretty handy.

Offline Bryfish84

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Oct 14, 2018, 04:19 PM »
I have my kdrill attached to it and it is awesome. People always say it’s not necessary with the kdrill but i like it because you can set the auger down and not get it in the snow. Really is pretty handy.

Sounds like I also need the Kdrill adapter piece as well??

Offline ejdelvo28

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Oct 14, 2018, 04:47 PM »
Sounds like I also need the Kdrill adapter piece as well??
Yes, you will need an adapter for a k drill.  The attachment that comes with the plate is made for traditional hand augers.

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #11 on: Oct 14, 2018, 06:09 PM »
'Tis a thing of beauty!

(Image removed from quote.)
.           It is but if u get much ice you will want a extension, or u will be on your knees when punching thru !!

Offline Bigassbassman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • New home, MA-->CO
« Reply #12 on: Oct 14, 2018, 07:53 PM »
You’ll love it — a total game-changer.
Flags up, gentlemen!!!

Offline Dakotablood

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Oct 15, 2018, 02:29 AM »
I have a plate last year I finally got to try out and I wasn't very impressed I don't know if its cause it was a regular 20V drill not brand new and not lithium batteries or maybe cause the blades weren't new. I also had to push down on it cause if I didn't the auger was sliding all over the ice. Anyways I'm debating on either selling the plate and getting a gas auger or buying a whole new hammer drill and new blades see if that does anything...I only got like 3 holes with two batteries on my current set up and they were both fully charged
Hunt hard and Fear no fish!!

Offline kayl

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Oct 15, 2018, 02:45 AM »
I have a plate last year I finally got to try out and I wasn't very impressed I don't know if its cause it was a regular 20V drill not brand new and not lithium batteries or maybe cause the blades weren't new. I also had to push down on it cause if I didn't the auger was sliding all over the ice. Anyways I'm debating on either selling the plate and getting a gas auger or buying a whole new hammer drill and new blades see if that does anything...I only got like 3 holes with two batteries on my current set up and they were both fully charged

It's not the plate.  Your drill is most likely woefully underpowered and your blades are likely dull. Get a good drill (the 1200in/# Milwaukee or 1300in/# Ridgid are great choices) and sharp blades and you'll be good to go. 

If you aren't established with either system, you can get a Ridgid 9ah battery, charger, and the 1300in/# hammer drill all with a lifetime service guarantee for $200 through the end of the month. (Home Depot has a deal where you get a bare tool free when you buy  the 9ah battery and charger kit)
Ifyou want a second battery you can get another with charger and lifetime service agreement for around $120 by buying another combo with a bare tool valued at $149 and returning the tool. Home Depot has no issue with this and prorates the items.

Offline 32footsteps

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Oct 15, 2018, 06:06 AM »

I concur with the other response to this. Your issues are not the fault of the plate. The 750lb Ryobi That I picked up for $150 and it came with three 4ah batteries is able to get around 85 holes (6 inch bit) through 8 inches of ice and I have it on the clam plate.

Maybe before you go all in on a completely different set up take the auger you had mated to the drill/plate and throw a handle on it. Try and cut some holes that way. I’d be willing to bet that it’ll be tough which suggests your blades are trashed.

Also...what are the specs of your drill? Your blades might be fine but you could have a drill that is severely underpowered.

Offline Dakotablood

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Oct 15, 2018, 06:31 AM »
I would guess its a combination of the two drill and blades, they weren't used before last season for a couple seasons and the drill was my step dads before he passed away. Its a Dewalt 20v but I have no idea how old it is. I just don't want to invest in a good drill and new blades if I'm going to be disappointing again. I've heard mostly good things just not quite the dependency of what a gas auger gives you. It was really sucky driving all the way to the lake and only getting three holes with 2 fully charged batteries.
Hunt hard and Fear no fish!!

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #17 on: Oct 15, 2018, 06:39 AM »
I would guess its a combination of the two drill and blades, they weren't used before last season for a couple seasons and the drill was my step dads before he passed away. Its a Dewalt 20v but I have no idea how old it is. I just don't want to invest in a good drill and new blades if I'm going to be disappointing again. I've heard mostly good things just not quite the dependency of what a gas auger gives you. It was really sucky driving all the way to the lake and only getting three holes with 2 fully charged batteries.
.              As stated above, not the clam plate, it’s the drill and definitely dull blades!!!

Offline marknpanfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Oct 15, 2018, 07:06 AM »
 Sounds like under powered drill and dull blades to me also. I run a Milwaukee and a 6" Nils and a 7" Nero Mini auger on the way, I might get a Clam Plate for the Nero. With my Nils I can drill 500 to 600" of ice one 4amp battery. Not going back to gas ever. These drills start every time.

Offline 52isntbigenough

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Red Drum aren't Trout
« Reply #19 on: Oct 15, 2018, 07:41 AM »
Works really well with an extension.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #20 on: Oct 15, 2018, 08:11 AM »
Dakotablood:
you have to start some where so break it down if you need to.

obviously the blades need to be replaced or sharpened. so start there. this is the most important part of any drill bit. i like to have have spare sharp blades on hand.

the drill may be in bad shape and needs to be replaced. it certainly sounds like the batteries are shot. i'd go with another drill system before spending on some thing that needs to be replaced like the one your using now or at least the batteries your using now.
the ridgid deal kayl mentioned is a sweet deal to pass up on, but may not be needed if your on a budget. 2 bills is super cheap for a life time warranty and quality equipment. in fact it is the best there is.

at least get your blades sharpened and you'll be much better off and happy you did so. if your drill isn't working out after you get into the season then you could use the handle it came with while shopping for a drill deal. batteries and drill tech move in leaps and bounds and it sounds like your missing out on the newer tech.

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Oct 15, 2018, 08:13 AM »
As others have mentioned, your blades need to be replaced, you shouldn’t need ANY downwards pressure at all to get the auger to cut. Brushless drills with at least 700in/lb of torque is what’s recommended for auger use. I have a M18 with 725in/lb  with a 7” lazer auger and it’s a hole punching machine! Lithium batteries will hold their charge better in the cold weather.

Offline piersm2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Oct 15, 2018, 08:30 AM »
I was on the fence about getting a clam plate because I didn’t want to spend the $80 on one, but having my drill on it, it is so much more stable.  Haven’t drilled holes with it yet, but this is the way to go.

Minnesconsin born and raised

Offline Fishslayer3

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Fish on!!!
« Reply #23 on: Oct 15, 2018, 09:24 AM »
You won't regret it! I run my Ridgid on a Clam plate, definitely one of the best purchases I've made for ice fishing. I bought an extension to make the auger a little longer so it is more comfortable to use standing.

Offline Bryfish84

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Oct 15, 2018, 07:18 PM »
Got it all put together tonight. Just need the Kdrill adapter now. I have the 6 amp battery on the charger!

Offline piersm2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Oct 15, 2018, 07:28 PM »
Got it all put together tonight. Just need the Kdrill adapter now. I have the 6 amp battery on the charger!

Save yourself $200 and buy an Eskimo hand auger

Offline Bryfish84

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Oct 15, 2018, 07:55 PM »
I already own the Kdrill

Offline piersm2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Oct 15, 2018, 07:58 PM »
I already own the Kdrill

Even better.  8”?

Offline Bryfish84

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Oct 15, 2018, 08:38 PM »
Yes

Offline lynng

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Oct 15, 2018, 08:50 PM »

You’ll like it even better if you add this modification to the trigger.

https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=348596.0

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.