The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Browns through the ice  (Read 1919 times)

Offline Noon

• Team IceShanty Regular
Browns through the ice
« on: Oct 01, 2018, 12:17 PM »
Still relatively new to the hard water. As much fun as I have had catching December brookies going off, and the year round rainbows, I was wondering if anyone has had much luck targeting big browns through the ice. I've done my share of reading through different forums and can't find much on the subject. I don't know if most people don't care for chasing browns, if it is really hard and deters folks, if they all stay in the rivers where it wouldn't be safe to ice fish, or something else.

I would love to hear any information, especially if it personal experience pulling big browns onto the ice.
It doesn't sound that appealing to most people I talk to, but going out onto a frozen lake and staring into a hole for the day is my favorite thing to do.

Offline Hutchmt

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Browns through the ice
« Reply #1 on: Oct 07, 2018, 02:45 PM »
Not sure how close to the Three Forks area you are, but willow creek resevoir near Harrison has big browns. It's hit or miss on how hot the bite can be.

Offline Noon

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Oct 08, 2018, 09:19 AM »
Not sure how close to the Three Forks area you are, but willow creek reservoir near Harrison has big browns. It's hit or miss on how hot the bite can be.

Thanks Hutch, I appreciate the information. I have only been to Willow creek one time. I was this past summer and I went with the wife. We stepped out of the car into air so thick with mosquitoes that you could barely breathe without sucking some in. Needless to say, the wife lasted about 6 seconds before saying she was done and going back to the car. I fished for about 2 minutes from shore and called it. I can't imagine mosquitoes being a trouble on the ice  ;D I've been wanting to check it out for the past few years but never heard any consistent reports. This bit of information about holding a few browns might be enough to get me over there this year though. Thanks again, I will shoot you a message whenever I decide to head that way and see if you'll be out there too.
-Noon
It doesn't sound that appealing to most people I talk to, but going out onto a frozen lake and staring into a hole for the day is my favorite thing to do.

Offline Hutchmt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Oct 09, 2018, 10:42 AM »
Sounds good to me, I'm pretty close to there.  I'm usually on hyalite during early ice and start moving to Holter and CF when the ice is ready.

Offline CaptHoss

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Nov 17, 2018, 01:18 PM »
Most the reservoirs here have the big browns you seek.  Any lake you that you know of has browns has those big fish.  I usually end up running into a few on jigging raps and small white jigs both tipped with maggots. Have also heard guys on Ennis and some of the bigger lakes will fish sucker fillet strips on jigs on the bottom and pull some reel giants.  Good luck out there!  :) @) :tipup:
The ice is always safe. The question is, are you?

Offline Noon

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Nov 19, 2018, 01:53 PM »
Most the reservoirs here have the big browns you seek.  Any lake you that you know of has browns has those big fish.  I usually end up running into a few on jigging raps and small white jigs both tipped with maggots. Have also heard guys on Ennis and some of the bigger lakes will fish sucker fillet strips on jigs on the bottom and pull some reel giants.  Good luck out there!  :) @) :tipup:

When you say "most of the reservoirs here" can you be a bit more specific? Because I live in Bozeman, and Hyalite is definitely not one haha. My bucket list still has an unchecked box next to "Pull a big brown through the ice" and I am hoping to change that this season!

Offline jign4koks

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Nov 19, 2018, 09:04 PM »
I'm with Hutchmt....Willow Creek Res  is where I would go if I wanted to catch a 24"+ brown through the ice.  Used to pull some real hogs out of there when I lived in Three Forks.  Also, some big rainbows in there, so either way you should catch nice fish.  Caught most on a black leach imitation about 1' off bottom.  They like to cruise the shoreline.

Offline jiginit

• IceShanty Rookie
  • That's my story and stickin to it
« Reply #7 on: Nov 24, 2018, 12:58 PM »
New to the forum but not the game. hey-o! In all my years, 40+, in a few states including mt., Ive caught approx 30 bows, cuts, etc, to every 1 brown. Very fickle critters in the winter. Clark canyon is also fabled, more so the night guys fishing ling. Good luck!

Offline Noon

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Nov 25, 2018, 06:24 PM »
I'm with Hutchmt....Willow Creek Res  is where I would go if I wanted to catch a 24"+ brown through the ice.  Used to pull some real hogs out of there when I lived in Three Forks.  Also, some big rainbows in there, so either way you should catch nice fish.  Caught most on a black leach imitation about 1' off bottom.  They like to cruise the shoreline.

Really appreciate the input! If I get into any this winter I will let you know

Offline mtgrant

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Nov 26, 2018, 12:18 PM »
I would not suggest that you eat browns. They feed on many things in the ecosystem that contain high levels of mercury, lead, and arsenic. Ex, crayfish, snails, exoskeleton creatures...Most Montana waters are full of these due to geo thermal issues and mining waste. Rainbow and perch tent to feed on more plankton and foods with less toxics. The only time that I regularly keep fish to eat is during ice season. Check out the consumption warnings on the waters you fish for food.
Tight Lines,
Montana Grant

Offline Noon

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Nov 27, 2018, 09:40 AM »
I would not suggest that you eat browns. They feed on many things in the ecosystem that contain high levels of mercury, lead, and arsenic. Ex, crayfish, snails, exoskeleton creatures...Most Montana waters are full of these due to geo thermal issues and mining waste. Rainbow and perch tent to feed on more plankton and foods with less toxics. The only time that I regularly keep fish to eat is during ice season. Check out the consumption warnings on the waters you fish for food.

Definitely a good reminder. I do not typically eat trout unless I am in the backcountry. I do not believe I have ever eaten a brown and I think I'd have a hard time keeping one because I want them all to grow bigger :P Now walleye, that is a fish I will eat.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.