Author Topic: Soft water reels  (Read 1434 times)

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
Soft water reels
« on: Sep 30, 2018, 06:33 AM »
I have a Quantum Five-0 and a Okuma Safina...neither of which is high dollar by any means... that I use during soft water season. Other than being a little heavier than the typical ice reels we use, is there any reason I couldn't use them on the ice? I like them because of the higher stem and it would save me $ on buying new ones.  :-\
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
Re: Soft water reels
« Reply #1 on: Sep 30, 2018, 07:08 AM »
Absolutely none. I've got a number of 4 season reels I use including a bass sized Daiwa baitcaster on a pike jig rod.
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2 on: Sep 30, 2018, 07:47 AM »

Absolutely , but you may want to clean the grease out and use something more suitable for cold weather , just an idea

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3 on: Sep 30, 2018, 08:06 AM »
Absolutely , but you may want to clean the grease out and use something more suitable for cold weather , just an idea

Exactly what I was thinking F/R...thanks :)

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: Sep 30, 2018, 08:09 AM »
Absolutely none. I've got a number of 4 season reels I use including a bass sized Daiwa baitcaster on a pike jig rod.

Thanks Red Green...errrr...Esox. ;D Looks like I'm ready to go and tie my jigs on this morning...2 down and 4 to go. :thumbsup:

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Sep 30, 2018, 08:16 AM »
I thought I had to take the whole reel apart to change the grease. Sounds a bit tricky to me. I'd be concerned about getting it back together again.
Keep yer stick on the ice!

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #6 on: Sep 30, 2018, 08:50 AM »
I thought I had to take the whole reel apart to change the grease. Sounds a bit tricky to me. I'd be concerned about getting it back together again.

I don't think I'm going to take it completely apart for the same reason SC...just going to use a little of this on the areas I can:

https://www.franksgreatoutdoors.com/frabill-sub-zero-lubricant.html?gclid=Cj0KCQjw6MHdBRCtARIsAEigMxFIdC3KLoCKtTr_mPP9imJGogacgyaGNx8_sg9E6rflSjdFL0eMsIQaAuumEALw_wcB

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Sep 30, 2018, 08:53 AM »
You pretty much strip it down completely and scrub off the old grease. I got very frustrated at first, having a YouTube video of your reel being done helps a ton!  That said, I didn’t find a video of my specific model so it was still a little nerve racking.  I’m on my 5-6th time taking my brand new reel apart... from losing pieces, putting it back together wrong, mistakingly lubricating the anti reverse bearings (yea, don’t do that!). now finally after completing the process, it’s in pieces again after finding out even a light use of the wrong grease doesn’t past the freezer test. I’m now as familiar with this reel as I am with a M16/AR15  ::)

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Sep 30, 2018, 08:55 AM »
I use my little Pfleuger crappie reels for hard water fishing also mostly since I already own them. Not many of us will be ice fishing in deep water. Twelve feet is about as deep as I go so I can't see the justification for dropping a hundred bucks (Black Betty) on stand alone outfits just for ice fishing. Bad enough having to buy special little rods.The Europeans are as passionate and dedicated as we are but the standard rig for them is a palm rod or a glorified Schooley. I don't change out the grease in the Pfleugers for winter either. Just one more thing to mess with.
We're born, we live for a while, and then we die.  Sounds like a good reason to go ice fishing.
                                                               Stinky

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #9 on: Sep 30, 2018, 09:24 AM »

Not as effective but simply open up the gear case and wipe off as much grease as you can. Then take an old toothbrush and scrub out the harder to reach places wiping it frequently on a paper towel. This will remove like 95% or better of the old grease. Not all mind you, but if you're not comfortable with complete disassembly it is an option. Re-lube with a quality light grease.

Anytime you take anything apart, go slowly, be mindful of stuff that can spring out without you seeing the correct orientation, place parts on a paper towel in order and correctly oriented (like belleville washers). When re-assembling everything should go back without force fitting. Sometimes you have to jiggle stuff into proper place but if you have to push very hard or pry you're probably going to break something. If you pay attention you're probably more capable than you thing you are.

There's been some recent discussion on a couple of other threads but I'll repeat here. Light grease... that excludes Reel Butter, Penn and Blu-Lube (intended for tipups) on my personal experience. Anything that's stiff in the jar or tube will only get worse @ 10F. My lube of choice, year round is ABU Precision Reel Grease (And now a word from our sponsor…). Not a sexy choice or marketed at all but is light enough to not stiffen in cold temps and quality enough to protect my musky reels with repeated casting through the heat of the summer.
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Sep 30, 2018, 11:13 AM »
In my experience, ANY old grease that isn’t removed will just hinder the operation of a re-lubed reel for ice fishing. See if you can’t find a schematic for the reels online (or through the manufacturer) and use it. Strip the reel, wash off ALL of the old grease with dawn dish soap (or any other mild degreaser), dry completely, then use Quantum HotSauce oil (or another high quality reel oil) on the bearings and gears. NO GREASE in the winter. Then when summer rolls around again, take off the side plate and add some grease. Next winter, strip completely, wash/dry, then re-lube with just oil again. After you do all of this for ice fishing, put the reels in the freezer for 30 minutes. If it sticks or it’s tough to turn the handle, there is either left over summer grease or the parts weren’t completely dry before re-assembly. In this case, start over. I do this seasonally with about 4-5 reels. After a few times you will be a pro at it. If you fish in a heated shack, you might not even have to do anything to the reels.

Esox_xtm describes a really good way to stay organized and what to expect during disassembly.
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Sep 30, 2018, 01:28 PM »
Not as effective but simply open up the gear case and wipe off as much grease as you can. Then take an old toothbrush and scrub out the harder to reach places wiping it frequently on a paper towel. This will remove like 95% or better of the old grease. Not all mind you, but if you're not comfortable with complete disassembly it is an option. Re-lube with a quality light grease.

Anytime you take anything apart, go slowly, me mindful of stuff that can spring out without you seeing the correct orientation, place parts on a paper towel in order and correctly oriented (like belleville washers). When re-assembling everything should go back without force fitting. Sometimes you have to jiggle stuff into proper place but if you have to push very hard or pry you're probably going to break something. If you pay attention you're probably more capable than you thing you are.

There's been some recent discussion on a couple of other threads but I'll repeat here. Light grease... that excludes Reel Butter, Penn and Blu-Lube (intended for tipups) on my personal experience. Anything that's stiff in the jar or tube will only get worse @ 10F. My lube of choice, year round is ABU Precision Reel Grease (And now a word from our sponsor…). Not a sexy choice or marketed at all but is light enough to not stiffen in cold temps and quality enough to protect my musky reels with repeated casting through the heat of the summer.

Thx---Imight try that.I guess a Q tip would work, but maybe it would leave some cotton inside, which wouldn't be good.

I am not particularly handy so I am quite reluctant to fully disassemble the whole reel. Might try it on one of my cheaper Shimanos--the Sienna   
Keep yer stick on the ice!

Offline FG Steve

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Sep 30, 2018, 01:58 PM »
Other than being a little heavier than the typical ice reels we use, is there any reason I couldn't use them on the ice? I like them because of the higher stem and it would save me $ on buying new ones.  :-\

Probably no good reason.  I don't do it because my Summer reels are oversized for my winter rods, and I'm more comfortable with a balanced setup.
 Happiness is a wife who can outfish you.

Offline tbern

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Sep 30, 2018, 08:34 PM »

Anytime you take anything apart, go slowly, me mindful of stuff that can spring out without you seeing the correct orientation, place parts on a paper towel in order and correctly oriented (like belleville washers). When re-assembling everything should go back without force fitting. Sometimes you have to jiggle stuff into proper place but if you have to push very hard or pry you're probably going to break something. If you pay attention you're probably more capable than you thing you are.

.      Can also take pictures with your cell phone as you disassemble the reel to help give you a visual of how things look.

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Oct 01, 2018, 01:10 PM »
grease parts that slide (oscillation mechanism) and oil the rest

Catchin' Fish

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #15 on: Oct 23, 2018, 12:23 PM »
As far as can you yes you can! I switch out my pfluger 20 size come ice season. I do 4# to 2# for the line, I use the abu Garcia grease and oil at the start of open water and it works fine so far down to -17. Good luck!
Keep it safe! JDL

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.