Author Topic: Wiring a shack?  (Read 1271 times)

Offline Kingperch101

• IceShanty Rookie
Wiring a shack?
« on: Sep 18, 2018, 12:04 PM »
Looking to wire my shack and have no clue where to start? What I want is below can someone help with what id need?

6 outlets
2 interior lights w/ switch
2 exterior lights w/ switch
1 outlet for tv/dvd combo

Thanks!

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
Re: Wiring a shack?
« Reply #1 on: Sep 18, 2018, 12:52 PM »
No disrespect intended King but if I were you I'd enlist someone local that has at least a minimal clue on where to start and how to proceed. Even a friend that has maybe added a circuit on in their house would be a step in the right direction. Electricity ain't brain surgery but you'd feel bad if someone got electrocuted and be sad if you fried something (other than fish or eggs) or worse yet, burned your shack down.

I'm assuming you're going to run off a generator. It might be helpful to know if it will be a portable one or built in and hardwired. Is there more than one circuit available from the generator or just one outlet/output? Is there a need to have access to the generator from inside the shack?

Also if you plan your installation things will go more smoothly. For example: 6 outlets - Will they be 2 gang in three different locations, or a 4 and a 2 in two locations or all 6 in one spot? May as well count the TV/DVD one as another outlet so 7 total. Is this an existing shack that you are adding power to or looking to wire it as part of the build? If you draw out what you want and where you want it it's easy to plan for how much wire you'll need. Try to visualize potential install problems like how to get your wire on the other side of a door (go over/under or around the long way)

It's OK, my wife used to hate me too. "Why do you always have to ask questions? Why can't you just give me an answer?"  :roflmao: For me it's about getting enough information to give a really helpful answer. If I were closer I'd offer to help but you're waaaay up there. And by way of help I mean I'd get to sit and smoke a cigar, sip some whiskey or tequila and direct, then inspect the operation. You'd get to do all the "work". After all it's your shack but better yet you'd be learning without ending up making some sort of critical mistake.
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline Kingperch101

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Sep 19, 2018, 12:10 PM »
I will be talking with my grandfather this afternoon! I know of a few guys in my area that have something they have built with the same intentions I have! Looking to run outlets off of a battery with solar power recharging it. Will keep you updated!

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #3 on: Sep 19, 2018, 06:01 PM »
I like the solar idea. Quiet and only needs daylight. I expect battery power might be OK if you don't have any high draw items like pizza ovens or electric cooktops. For longer service and lower draw I'd look toward LED lighting. In fact now I think of it ALL your lighting could be 12v, have some "outlets" to charge phones etc. and you'd only need 110v for the TV/DVD. The sleeper we stayed in on LBDN last year had a dual 12/110 lighting and heat delivery system. If you wanted to shut the generator off you still had lights (in and out) and fan delivered propane heat.
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline latremorej

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Sep 21, 2018, 06:26 AM »
I like the solar idea. Quiet and only needs daylight. I expect battery power might be OK if you don't have any high draw items like pizza ovens or electric cooktops. For longer service and lower draw I'd look toward LED lighting. In fact now I think of it ALL your lighting could be 12v, have some "outlets" to charge phones etc. and you'd only need 110v for the TV/DVD. The sleeper we stayed in on LBDN last year had a dual 12/110 lighting and heat delivery system. If you wanted to shut the generator off you still had lights (in and out) and fan delivered propane heat.

Agreed,  12v lighting,  maybe a fan for air circulation,  and depending on how many batteries (available Amp hours) you have,  an inverter for the tv/DVD combo.  I would definitely run 12v AND 120v (if a generator is in your plan) next to each other in the walls... everywhere!  The hard part will be done,  even ifnot needed.  Later,  you may want to change things around.   If you do,  the wiring will already be there, no need to RIP open the walls to run more. 

Also great advice on someone who knows looking over your shoulder

Jason

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.