Author Topic: Laying out a 2person flip  (Read 1622 times)

Offline Peccavi18

• Team IceShanty Regular
Laying out a 2person flip
« on: Sep 09, 2018, 02:40 PM »
Towards the end of last season I picked up a Shappell Fx200. Was usually a run and gun or smitty sled/ hub guy. How does everyone lay these things out? I must be overthinking this but I feel like its layout with the low height and big sliding bench doesnt work for storage or quick moves. Trying to keep weight down, usually out alone with Milwaukee drill/Nils, 2 or 3 rods, showdown 5.6, heater, igloo1gal minnow bucket, and basic gear. I bought a Clam hanging gear bag  but its small and blocks the windows. Whats everyone do for quick moves and lightweight storage?

Offline Shack man Shoney

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Laying out a 2person flip
« Reply #1 on: Sep 09, 2018, 09:05 PM »
I just try to make the shack comfortable and handy... The old saying "A place for everything and everything in it's place" comes to mind. I try to utilize and make storage everywhere that's available on the shack besides just sliding around in the bottom of the sled. I like to use stuff from other manufacturers and "Frankenstein" it into something that works for me. I would be thinking about that clam storage/ gear bag fastened on the back of the bench instead of blocking Windows and maybe cargo netting on the underside of the bench seating. In the past few seasons i have been taking less and less gear... Sifting through what I actually need versus what I could need, this seems to make for a better performance on the ice.... 

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2 on: Sep 10, 2018, 09:02 AM »
I just try to make the shack comfortable and handy... The old saying "A place for everything and everything in it's place" comes to mind. I try to utilize and make storage everywhere that's available on the shack besides just sliding around in the bottom of the sled. I like to use stuff from other manufacturers and "Frankenstein" it into something that works for me. I would be thinking about that clam storage/ gear bag fastened on the back of the bench instead of blocking Windows and maybe cargo netting on the underside of the bench seating. In the past few seasons i have been taking less and less gear... Sifting through what I actually need versus what I could need, this seems to make for a better performance on the ice.... 

All about your needs and personal preferences...milk crates...file boxes...kitty liter containers all seam to work better for me ...been slowly getting down to only one bucket for my Vexilar transportation needs ..square  crates/containers seem to take up less space ...can stack them if need be too. I have used some storage/sportsman tubs ..but every thing seems to get lost in them. Example in a kitty crate I have my cooking tools/stove/supplies.. I take that when cooking on ice ..if not I can leave that behind . I have a Striker Ice Transporter bag ...love that it holds 5 rods and has in side storage ..which I keep clothing ...can even get a shorter rod or two in it ...plus the 4 zippered outside pouches can hold utility/tackle boxes w/tons of gear. I also bring a small Jet sled ...which can be towed via eye bolts/carabiner and chain to my 2 man ..I use this to unload my 2 man of unnecessary gear as sort of a base camp if I am hole hoping and need the flip for comfort ...most days I can hole hop with just a bucket though. 
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Peccavi18

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Sep 10, 2018, 11:58 PM »
Has anyone removed this big bench seat on the shappells? Any issues you can thing of? I feel like it would organize easier without it. Also anyone have any tricks for permanent mounts and guards that allow setting the heater behind them with a flip over?

When I run and gun or hole hop its just me, my showdown flasher that has 2 rod mounts on the side of the case, a t-reign on my side picket holding an ice scoop, two boxes of jigs in my chest pockets and bait pucks in hip pockets. Milwaukee and Nils. I keep it real basic.

When the hub comes out I have a tall milk crate that has a short second level and a lid that I set my flasher on and store the minnow bucket and some cooking stuff in. Heater is in its bag with spare tanks. 2 small folding camp chairs, And 6-7gal bucket has tools, floats, rubber presentations, maybe a few jawjackers all the rods are mounted on the back of the smitty sled.

I only take what I need, Im pretty bare bones with what I have along with me. I like it to be easy set up/tear down and organized and I keep sitting here looking at the small amount of gear I take just not being happy with the amount of work it takes to set up before I can be comfortably fishing.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4 on: Sep 11, 2018, 06:29 AM »
Also anyone have any tricks for permanent mounts and guards that allow setting the heater behind them with a flip over?

On my Frabill Adventurer (cousin to the Trekker) it came with two tri pod  seats...I switched them out for two HT sport chairs....I  added a piece of square aluminum stock across the top of the sleds front edge....I then added two screws in the middle of the square stock that allows the Buddy Heater to hang on them with the provided slotted holes for that purpose … I tend to fish on the left side of the sled as I am right handed ...giving me access to the heater controls and allowing for a dead stick ...The seats are light weight and fold up rather small and I can bring one or two based on the presence of company . Trophy Angler makes a heavy duty version of this chair I believe too.

https://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/ht-enterprises-padded-back-and-seat-sports-chair?a=64293
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Shack man Shoney

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Sep 15, 2018, 03:26 PM »

This is how my eskimo 1 man flip came from the factory, i did add the two green beverage holders in the picture

Offline Shack man Shoney

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Sep 15, 2018, 03:29 PM »
.... And some of the mods I came up with

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.