Author Topic: Old Bucks Only  (Read 2164 times)

Offline hays47

• Team IceShanty Regular
Old Bucks Only
« on: Jun 29, 2018, 05:14 PM »
  Any of old timers ever use John Fujita's No-Name lure thru the ice. This lure was used by me heavily in the late 50's and real early 60's. They ran anywhere from 79 cents to 89 cents each. I used to call it the lawn mowing lure. As I got a whole dollar for mowing yards back then. Maybe 2 bucks if lawn bigger than usual.

It kicked butt back in the day. Caught every fish you could think of on it. Tiny lure with # 12 hooks but caught some huge fish on it. Especially bass since they were tied with 2 # test leader. I lost many of them to the bigger bass. They absolutely slayed panfish . Pond crappie could not resist them. Yellow perch were absolute suckers for them too.

Last time I talked to John's niece and nephew. They were toying with idea to bring it back. That was couple years ago and have not seen anything yet.

Since I tie my own jigs and make most of my ice lures. I tried to imitate the original. Most of what I tried worked to some degree but not as good as original. Last few trips out I think I have finally stumbled on a pretty good substitute.

Used an ice spoon for front part soldered on # 10 gold hook , used power pro to tie back # 10 hook. Used Rams wool instead of chicken feathers. Gave it a red head and one stripe of flash. Have been killing the LM bass on it. Which was the same thing with the original. Made the rod in the pic too.

If anyone interested can post photo of original No-Name in case you are not sure what it is. I intend to try thru the ice this coming season. Probably have to be in your 60's at least to remember this one. 70 here.
Echomap 94  Chirp with panoptix ps-22.
G.E.F.M

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Old Bucks Only
« Reply #1 on: Jun 30, 2018, 05:35 AM »
dang, I wish I could see your pictures but my firewall won't let me... dang security. I've seen them but never used any, it was a little before my time. In my time a lawn was $5, these days my grandson gets $40! LOL! I've seen pictures and such and the ones I've held were old and the marabou was rotted. I read once that the guy invented it in a Japanese internment camp during the war. Looked like a leaded hook with a dropper fly tied to it.

sunniewally

Re: Old Bucks Only
« Reply #2 on: Jun 30, 2018, 04:35 PM »
google-------     images for John Fujita's No-Name lure

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.