Author Topic: DIY Nitinol (Ti) Spring Bobber  (Read 2096 times)

Offline joaquin

• IceShanty Rookie
DIY Nitinol (Ti) Spring Bobber
« on: Jun 25, 2018, 08:53 PM »
I recently got into rod building and I'm looking to build a handful of ice rods for myself and family members for the upcoming season.  I'm looking at running a spring bobber and some of these rigs.  I was going to purchase a handful of Tripwires from Thorne Bros as I'm currently running one on a Quiverstick.  It's an awesome set-up for the ultra light bite and has really upped my catch percentage and success.

I got to thinking about building them myself, since the Tripwire is simply a #2 single foot Recoil fly guide epoxied to a strand of Nitinol (titanium) wire along with a bead which you simply attach to your rod end just like a rod guide. 

After doing some research, it appears that the Nitinol Recoil uses is Nitinol 55, which holds its shape in colder temperatures (I believe tested to -25°) and doesn't turn into a wet noodle and go limp.  Problem is, I don't know of any suppliers for it.  I see Knot 2 Kinky leader material may work, but I don't know which Nitinol they use or if it will even work for my application.

I know I could use ss guitar wire, but after using the Tripwire and seeing its "non-kinking" abilities, I'm sold.  I've run other spring bobbers, but they either rusted, bent, or kinked.  Not to mention the guide was always too small and would ice up.  Plus, since I'm putting the time and effort into building these rods, I'd like them to look clean and professional.

After I find the wire I want to use, I'm going to try the SS fly guides from Mudhole instead of the Recoils ($.79 vs $3.35) and see how they work.

Any info or personal experience would be great.

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: DIY Nitinol (Ti) Spring Bobber
« Reply #1 on: Jun 26, 2018, 08:28 AM »
My freezer at work is -35 C I could test out some knot2kinky but I think it is going to limp noodle

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #2 on: Jun 26, 2018, 01:06 PM »
I'd investigate the single strand leader wire. Malin, AFW and Terminator all have offerings. The AFW 10# is .009" diameter which I think is the smallest/thinnest without looking outside the fishing industry. They are all "somewhat tieable", though I never found it easy or pretty to tie leaders in the stuff. It is remarkably kink resistant, holding it's straight shape very well hot or cold.

On the hot cold thing, there are two types of NiTi wire: superelastic and heat activated. I'll guess leader material is the superelastic type. you can twist, bend, stretch and pretty much to everything but hammer on it and it will spring back to straight. The heat activated stuff can be bent into a shape at room temperature and when exposed to heat (usually around 100F) it will return to it's original shape.
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline joaquin

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jul 06, 2018, 08:13 PM »
My freezer at work is -35 C I could test out some knot2kinky but I think it is going to limp noodle

If you could try that in the freezer, that'd be great.  I just received some from an online vendor (Kellog Research).  The 0.015" wire started going limp immediately at 0° F, and the 0.020" took a little longer before it went only slightly limp.  I'm going to play with it a little more before I cross it off my list.

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jul 07, 2018, 05:08 AM »
What's your thoughts of single strand wire like afw stainless steel wire in #10 wich is .024 thickness .. seen here at link .. if you wanted even softer I would go number #8 wire same brand all the way to #2 same brand..   I have been making my own too wire spring bobbers.. I will make a coil spring with the kit below and keep some stright and attach to the rod with wsrping yhread and epoxy.. then use a bead and somr epoxy a single foot guide on the end of the wire..  or even
 make a guide out of the wire?? Depending what I want to do.. all the info on how to do this is in the book at link below..  I will get a link or picture  to the style I make  in a minute..

This is the wire kit with tools and instruction book on how to form wire.. with different tricks and techniques on wire forming and examples..

https://www.jannsnetcraft.com/wire-forming-tools/041571000006.aspx

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jul 07, 2018, 05:15 AM »
Here is a style similar to the style I make with the coiled spring and stright wire..

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #6 on: Jul 07, 2018, 07:01 AM »
Those look like some nice indicators..diy st.croixs for sure.

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jul 07, 2018, 08:55 AM »
When I build some of my rods for friends upon request..  I wrapped a single foot guide on top of the rod then all I got to do is use some 1/8 i.d. rubber hose. Insert hose in guide and incert spring in hose .. diy st croix.. hopefully all match up in size for a snug fit when done ..  I have also wrapped them on to the tip of rods like said earlier..

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #8 on: Jul 07, 2018, 09:55 AM »
Nice, i use rubber grommets in my single foot eyes then wrap the eye on top of the rod just like the st.croix design.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.