Author Topic: Best two man hub ?  (Read 1911 times)

Offline DANMAN

• Team IceShanty Addict
Best two man hub ?
« on: Jan 27, 2018, 08:30 PM »
looking for simple hub for those calm days and long carry

recommendations?

complaints?

Offline onestring

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Best two man hub ?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 27, 2018, 08:34 PM »
Forget the hub get a flip

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #2 on: Jan 27, 2018, 09:31 PM »
I have an Eskimo Quickfish 3i which works well for two. It's the insulated version of the Quickfish 3. I also have a Quickfish 4 which is roomier than the Quickfish 3, but I don't think they are made anymore. Both are quality shelters and have been trouble free.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline jbird68

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 27, 2018, 11:17 PM »

Agree.  I just picked up a sled because I hated having to anchor my hub in the wind all the time.
jbird68

Offline DANMAN

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 28, 2018, 06:03 AM »

have a flip one man  already.   

Offline huntneiowa

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 28, 2018, 08:25 AM »
I've been thinking about a small hub shack also. I already have a Eskimo 949i and the build quality is great so I'm thinking about going with the quickfish 3i. Mostly for when me and 4yo go.

Offline mjk67

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 28, 2018, 09:36 AM »
I also have a 3i, and it is a great shelter for 2 people.

If you are looking for an advertised 2 person -- typically smaller than a 3i, I know a retailer here in MN still has some 767i shelters.

If you go with another brand than Eskimo, do yourself a favor and buy their ice screws!

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #7 on: Jan 28, 2018, 11:47 AM »
best in what ways? weight? amount of windows? poles/hubs? flooring? reputation?  low profile? price? any thing else?

you say carry, does this mean you can't or are not using a sled to hand pull? if using a sled than you look at insulated, but they are a lot harder to dry out and become much heavier after filling with water from melted snow while heating it or if it rains on it.

shappell non insulated wh6500 has a seam on the roof that leaks a lot of water and it always finds you or your things to get wet. the doors are the best there is with it's huge C shape design that goes much past the corner seams like all the other don't do. they stop at the corner seam.

gander mountain's gm8x8 (made by eskimo) doesn't have that problem, but the thermo welds make the fabric so thin in the welds that some of those little dots leak from them on the roof/ceiling while heating/raining. it is not fun after it gets wet at all! has inside anchor points, but it s harder to get to then external skirt grommet anchor points.

so far, no water proofing works or if it does, it works for a short amount of time like for splashes and beads water for that. steady rains or steady melting of snow has no lasting water proofing affect.

i did see polar bird is supposedly water proof from a video of some one with a garden hose hosing it down from a balcony. said it was totally dry inside, but didn't say if the fabric was dry. dry fabric is what you want because of weight and having to dry it out before you can use it again and it takes so long to dry them out unless maybe you have room to open them in a heated area with a fan and a water drain.

so some things to think about while shopping.

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 29, 2018, 10:20 PM »
I really enjoy my Shappell Widehouse 5500. Perfect for two people. Mine doesn’t have the same leaking problem that 3300 describes. Going on 7 years with mine and it’s been awesome. Goes up, down, and back in the bag rather easily.
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.