Author Topic: Ice Auger Size  (Read 5362 times)

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: Ice Auger Size
« Reply #30 on: Jan 24, 2018, 05:52 AM »
I'm pretty sure while hand drilling a hole it takes longer depending on Wind and how F-ing cold it is out. The colder the longer it seems.
<===Lefty===

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #31 on: Jan 24, 2018, 12:00 PM »
That is true. These formulas assume you know how to land a fish and tend your holes regularly so they dont freeze up. I personally have been using a 6in hole for years now without issue. Including the walleye you see in my avatar pic.

Thats cool but based on the size of your hands and long arming that walleye in your avatar is like 6lb.. 7 maybe. So that wouldnt be a huge deal to come thru a 6" hole.

Id want a 7 or 8 if i knew i had a legitimate chance at a big pike or walleye

Offline esox slayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #32 on: Jan 24, 2018, 12:06 PM »
Thats cool but based on the size of your hands and long arming that walleye in your avatar is like 6lb.. 7 maybe. So that wouldnt be a huge deal to come thru a 6" hole.

You got that right.

Since 10-14+ pound walleyes are very common here, along with 10+ pound pike, monster lakers and 2 plus foot of ice, NOBODY I know of up in these waters relies on a six inch hole.

If anybody is targeting those species listed above here, they're running an 8 or 10.
Marine Infantry NCO- Semper Fi!!!

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #33 on: Jan 24, 2018, 12:10 PM »
You got that right.

Since 10-14+ pound walleyes are very common here, along with 10+ pound pike, monster lakers and 2 plus foot of ice, NOBODY I know of up in these waters relies on a six inch hole.

If anybody is targeting those species listed above here, they're running an 8 or 10.

Same here. I use to swear by a 10" hole but im growing fond of the 8", big walleyes dont have a ton of wiggle room in an 8. It kinda pens them in.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #34 on: Jan 24, 2018, 07:43 PM »
If you really want a big walleye, you'll make a 6" hole work, if that's all that you brought...

<°)))>{

I can believe they came up the hole.......how the heck did you get the head turned and comming up it though?

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #35 on: Jan 24, 2018, 08:23 PM »
I can believe they came up the hole.......how the heck did you get the head turned and comming up it though?

Those two big ones were 29", but fat girls....

It was nerve wracking lol, but, when you got fish that big, its nerve wracking anyway lol.. When its close to a PB, all types get me excited.. (31.5" pb eye) just tried to keep calm, and sneak her up... I can't say I don't, if I see that marble eye sitting for more than a second at the bottom edge of the hole, I might just reach in and grab that sucka.. I don't use a gaff either...

This was taken earlier that day, you can see that tiny modified 6" auger, and a beast topside lol..

I had a gas 8" running fine, sitting at home that day^

I've lost some at the hole, but same with my 8"...

<°)))>{

Offline esox slayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #36 on: Jan 27, 2018, 05:13 PM »

Speaking of which, you hear about that 15.90 pound walleye that was caught here a few days ago?

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #37 on: Jan 27, 2018, 06:45 PM »
Where is here?

Offline esox slayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #38 on: Jan 27, 2018, 06:50 PM »
Where is here?

Chaumont Bay, upstate NY, off lake Ontario..

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #39 on: Jan 27, 2018, 06:53 PM »
I thought I heard of like a 18# fish caught in bay of quinte this year, could have been a rumor though !!

Offline gil_lunkage

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #40 on: Jan 27, 2018, 08:24 PM »
7!
"Don't hate me cause you ain't me"
~ Some Dude

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #41 on: Jan 27, 2018, 08:33 PM »
Speaking of which, you hear about that 15.90 pound walleye that was caught here a few days ago?

No i didnt! Not surprised at all.. the next state record walleye will be caught between chaumont and the seaway, im sure..

Offline Gills4me

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #42 on: Jan 28, 2018, 08:03 AM »
been using an 8 inch for 25 years ..........only 1 time we couldn't get the fish threw it my buddy had a gaint catfish.a chainsaw would fix solved that but  not a 1 around

Offline mrjohnny

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • to cold for me to fish..i'm packin up
« Reply #43 on: Jan 28, 2018, 08:39 AM »
So I went out ice fishing for the first time this past weekend and man was it a pain in the ass to use a 8" Eskimo hand auger through 7-9 inches of ice.  I have always heard that the smaller the auger the easier it will be to use but was nervous if I get a huge pike I wouldn't be able to bring it up. Is it really that much of a difference to get a 6" auger or should I just suck it up and keep using a 8" auger?

I target mostly pan fish..i use only a 5 inch and have gotten 15 inch bass thru it without
any real issue...I guess i'm old and the pan fish is all I need..lol
too cold ....aint going out there..

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #44 on: Jan 28, 2018, 09:55 AM »
I target mostly pan fish..i use only a 5 inch and have gotten 15 inch bass thru it without
any real issue...I guess i'm old and the pan fish is all I need..lol

Did you mean a 25in bass?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.