The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Throw Me a Line  (Read 1130 times)

Offline mtgrant

• Team IceShanty Regular
Throw Me a Line
« on: Jan 22, 2018, 02:33 PM »
http://montanagrantfishing.com/2018/01/throw-me-a-line/

This may be just the thing to save the day. Check out my blog article.
Tight Lines,
Montana Grant

Offline 207 in the 406

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Throw Me a Line
« Reply #1 on: Jan 22, 2018, 05:56 PM »
Nice! Great idea, and not as pricey as an NRS Throw Bag.

Offline pmmpete

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 22, 2018, 06:06 PM »
When fishing on thin ice, or in areas where methane bubbles or springs can create thin areas in the ice, I bring a whitewater throw bag with me.  If somebody goes through the ice, I won't want to go anywhere near them, for fear of joining them in the water and doubling the problem.  But you can slide or throw a throw bag to a dunked ice fisherman from a long distance away, and use it to pull them up onto the ice and away from the thin ice.

If you make your own throw bag, practice with it so you know how to throw it, and so you know whether the rope will feet smoothly out of the narrow mouth of the milk jug.  If the rope gets jammed in the neck of the milk jug when you throw it, you'll need to try a different kind of rope, or you'll need to replace the milk jug with a plastic bottle with a wider mouth.

Try to find a rope which floats, such as polypro rope, for your throw jug.

Offline SLIMMETT

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 22, 2018, 07:29 PM »
Anyone with any common sense and the ability to read a situation should ever need a lifeline on the ice.  Sometimes  you can't fix stupid!  Be Safe on the ice!

Offline beershanty

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • There'll be no quitters til we bag some critters!!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 22, 2018, 07:47 PM »
Anyone with any common sense and the ability to read a situation should ever need a lifeline on the ice.  Sometimes  you can't fix stupid!  Be Safe on the ice!
sometimes matters are out of our hands, a safety plan is a good thing to have no matter how much experience one has. you dont get to choose who you will come across to save, you just have to have a plan ready to save whoever you may come across.
Just roll me up and smoke me when I die

Offline SLIMMETT

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 22, 2018, 08:20 PM »
I wholeheartedly agree with your response beershanty.  I seek out fishing and hunting opportunities where most outdoorspeople won't go, therefore I use the utmost caution.  I cant rely on a cell/satellite phone or others to bail me out if I put myself in an unsafe situation.   

Offline 207 in the 406

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jan 26, 2018, 05:45 PM »
...I bring a whitewater throw bag with me.  If somebody goes through the ice, I won't want to go anywhere near them, for fear of joining them in the water and doubling the problem.  But you can slide or throw a throw bag to a dunked ice fisherman from a long distance away, and use it to pull them up onto the ice and away from the thin ice.

If you make your own throw bag, practice with it so you know how to throw it, and so you know whether the rope will feet smoothly out of the narrow mouth of the milk jug.  If the rope gets jammed in the neck of the milk jug when you throw it, you'll need to try a different kind of rope, or you'll need to replace the milk jug with a plastic bottle with a wider mouth.

Try to find a rope which floats, such as polypro rope, for your throw jug.

Truth. Always practice, jug or store bought throw bag. and know how to "reload" whatever device you have in case you need to make a second toss.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.