Author Topic: Pike through the ice  (Read 3348 times)

Offline njcatchrelease

• IceShanty Rookie
Pike through the ice
« on: Jan 22, 2018, 07:58 AM »
Was out on Sunday and had 3 fish break off.  Two of them were nice size pike right at the hole while trying to get them out and I never saw the third but I am assuming it was also a pike.  Here is my question,  I was using normal braided line on my tip ups with about 3 foot of 12 lbs fluorocarbon leader. I had a swivel tied to the leader and then attached an Eagle Claw snelled hook.  Each bite off happened at the snelled hook.  How do you guys get the pike through the hole?  I didn't want to grab the gill plate in fear of harming the fish since I was releasing all that I caught.  Should I use some sort of wire leader and attached the hook directly to that?

All in all a great day on the ice, I was able to land a bunch or yellow perch (jigging) and a few white bass.

Offline Paul N Skill

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Pike through the ice
« Reply #1 on: Jan 22, 2018, 08:02 AM »
I've been using 20 lb fluorocarbon. Have not had any problems hauling pike through the ice.

Offline njcatchrelease

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 22, 2018, 08:14 AM »
So are you lifting the pike out by the line or grabbing the fish?

Offline saxmatt

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 22, 2018, 08:55 AM »
Try 60lb floro instead of 12.

Offline punkinhead

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 22, 2018, 01:04 PM »
I'd go with a fairly heavy florocarbon. That's what I use for toothy critters and do ok.

Offline njcatchrelease

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 22, 2018, 03:45 PM »
I did a little searching online and it seems Seaguar Abrazx Pike/Musky leader gets some good reviews.  Anyone ever use it?  I think i'm gonna pick up a 80lb 25yd option.  Here is the link on Amazon https://www.amazon.com/Seaguar-80AX25-2237-0252-Fishing-Equipment/dp/B01LWV1970/ref=sr_1_1?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1516657332&sr=1-1&keywords=Seaguar+Abrazx+Pike

Offline H2O-32

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 22, 2018, 03:49 PM »
bigger hole?

Offline njcatchrelease

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 22, 2018, 04:06 PM »
8" auger so I think i'm good there.  The pike just seemed to go crazy when their head started into the hole.

Offline jedhead

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 22, 2018, 04:28 PM »
X2 on the bigger hole espically if you are targeting pike or musky in a lake that is know to produce big fish. 8 inches seems like a lot, but turning a big pike head to grab it in the hole is a lot easier with a 10 inch auger hole. Proper choice of leader material is equally important. Some other guys may want to chime in on if they are tying or crimping the heavier florocarbon leader material. Good luck and don't forget  sharpen your hooks as well.

Offline Evil Tom

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Jesus walked on water...once I do it every year
« Reply #9 on: Jan 23, 2018, 07:05 AM »
Aways used 30lb braided line never had a problem horseing pike musky etc out of hole.Just a little tricky as you have to use the right knot.Braided lines hold up way better than flourocarbon on toothy critters

Offline njcatchrelease

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 23, 2018, 07:56 AM »
So you use braided line all the way to the hook with no leader?

Offline Evil Tom

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Jan 23, 2018, 09:31 AM »
No 18" braided line off swivel.I attached circle hook right to braided line.Just gotta use the right knot so it doesn't just pull thru

Offline saxmatt

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Jan 23, 2018, 09:31 AM »
Braided line has worse abrasion resistance than floro, steel, and even mono. It will also cut you to the bone if you have it in your hand and a big fish takes off. It's the worst leader option you could choose for toothy critters.

Offline njcatchrelease

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 23, 2018, 09:52 AM »
Braided line has worse abrasion resistance than floro, steel, and even mono. It will also cut you to the bone if you have it in your hand and a big fish takes off. It's the worst leader option you could choose for toothy critters.

So what do you use fluorocarbon for your leader?

Offline saxmatt

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Jan 23, 2018, 09:56 AM »
60-80lb floro

Offline njcatchrelease

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Jan 23, 2018, 10:06 AM »
60-80lb floro
Thanks, I appreciate the info.

Offline Evil Tom

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Jan 23, 2018, 01:43 PM »
Obviously it'll cut your hand.Thats why you wear gloves ever slip your gloveless finger in Gill plate of large pike or pic like a razor.Ive been using braided for years now especially when pulling tog out of sharp jetty rocks.Wrap a 60-80 flourocarbon around your tip up reel and when you unwind it it look like a spring in the cold.Diffrent things work for different people.But I totally disagree that floro has more abrasion resistance than braid.Just my $.02

Offline saxmatt

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Jan 23, 2018, 08:01 PM »
Yes, I've stuck my fingers in the gill plates of quite a few big pike and muskie. I've also broken many fish off on rocks with 50lb power pro and I think comparing tog fishing to fishing for pike through the ice is just silly.

Offline bigboy5522

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Jan 23, 2018, 09:16 PM »
Obviously it'll cut your hand.Thats why you wear gloves ever slip your gloveless finger in Gill plate of large pike or pic like a razor.Ive been using braided for years now especially when pulling tog out of sharp jetty rocks.Wrap a 60-80 flourocarbon around your tip up reel and when you unwind it it look like a spring in the cold.Diffrent things work for different people.But I totally disagree that floro has more abrasion resistance than braid.Just my $.02

Its not an opinion that flouro has more abrasion resistance, it is a fact. Google it, or better yet try it yourself. It does get coiled up but you do not have to store it on the tip up spool.

Offline Chrisper4694

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 24, 2018, 12:30 PM »
pull it taunt hard and hold it for a few seconds, it'll then be straight...if it's still curled bad it's either too old or cheap garbage.  If you don't want to worry about it store the leaders on a paper towel roll inside a bag.

I do however agree with the circle hooks.  I haven't tried them with large baits but if i'm fishing for a variety of species using anything from small to jumbo shiners and pike and pickerel are present that i want to catch i'll use a circle hook with lighter line (#30 usually).  If the hook is the right size and slow steady pressure is applied to let the hook set itself, you get a very high success ratio.  I'd say gets them in the far outer corner of the mouth about 90% of the time (imo) making it very hard for the toothy critters to get a tooth on your line enough to break it.

Offline njcatchrelease

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Jan 24, 2018, 12:36 PM »
pull it taunt hard and hold it for a few seconds, it'll then be straight...if it's still curled bad it's either too old or cheap garbage.  If you don't want to worry about it store the leaders on a paper towel roll inside a bag.

I do however agree with the circle hooks.  I haven't tried them with large baits but if i'm fishing for a variety of species using anything from small to jumbo shiners and pike and pickerel are present that i want to catch i'll use a circle hook with lighter line (#30 usually).  If the hook is the right size and slow steady pressure is applied to let the hook set itself, you get a very high success ratio.  I'd say gets them in the far outer corner of the mouth about 90% of the time (imo) making it very hard for the toothy critters to get a tooth on your line enough to break it.
I was thinking of circle hooks for that reason and also for the fact that I release everything I catch.  I am going have to grab some and give them a try.  Hopefully we will get some cold temps in the near future.

Offline njsquatch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Jan 24, 2018, 03:05 PM »
I was thinking of circle hooks for that reason and also for the fact that I release everything I catch.  I am going have to grab some and give them a try.  Hopefully we will get some cold temps in the near future.

just be sure to get the inline circle hooks....have found that the offset circle hooks gut hook a lot of fish...

http://www.gamakatsu.com/fishing-hooks.php?pid=1115

Offline Evil Tom

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Jan 24, 2018, 05:15 PM »
Google it??.Believe everything on internet??I use both floro and braided not power pro either.Power pro is garbage.He was asking for examples of what people use and what works for them.I was stating what's works for me.And it's not just me Google it???or look on this site.Im not sure why you think tog fishing to pike fishing is so far off besides the sizes.They both have teeth put up crazy fights and like to drag you into heavy cover so the need for an abrasion resistant line.

Offline bigboy5522

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Jan 24, 2018, 05:33 PM »
Google it??.Believe everything on internet??I use both floro and braided not power pro either.Power pro is garbage.He was asking for examples of what people use and what works for them.I was stating what's works for me.And it's not just me Google it???or look on this site.Im not sure why you think tog fishing to pike fishing is so far off besides the sizes.They both have teeth put up crazy fights and like to drag you into heavy cover so the need for an abrasion resistant line.

Did you miss the part where I said to try it yourself. Get a piece of fluoro and whiling holding it in tension, rub it on a sharp object. Repeat with the braid and see which one cuts through easier. You might just be surprised.

Offline Evil Tom

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Jan 24, 2018, 06:00 PM »
I already said I use both.No need to test.First thing that comes up when you google braided is how  hard it is to cut and from what I see mono is more abrasion resistant than flouro.Dave Genz uses braided.Goggle sufix 832 ice braided.Better yet try it.

Offline Evil Tom

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Jan 24, 2018, 06:09 PM »
And since this turned into an argument FORD is better than Chevy😀

Offline bigboy5522

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Jan 24, 2018, 06:30 PM »
I already said I use both.No need to test.First thing that comes up when you google braided is how  hard it is to cut and from what I see mono is more abrasion resistant than flouro.Dave Genz uses braided.Goggle sufix 832 ice braided.Better yet try it.

I use suffix 832 ice braid... but as my mainline  ;D

Offline touge30

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Jan 27, 2018, 10:35 AM »
30lb toothy critter

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.