The Ice Fishing MA is board

Author Topic: it's the beginning of the end  (Read 3091 times)

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
it's the beginning of the end
« on: Jan 21, 2018, 06:33 PM »
just checked the 10 day forecast for my area. looks like it is the beginning of the end, folks!

Offline troutncrappie

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: it's the beginning of the end
« Reply #1 on: Jan 21, 2018, 06:48 PM »
Have no fear my brother, buy some gas and get driving plenty of ice and time left! :)
Drill um and fill um........

Offline mr tip up

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 21, 2018, 07:00 PM »
head to the hills
what is and what should never be

Offline JFeen82

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 21, 2018, 08:04 PM »
It’s gonna be fine. Most nights are below freezing.

Offline Flatland

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 21, 2018, 08:17 PM »
Don't be a Debbie Downer. We'll be fine.

Offline THE JIGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Member of the GODS (Grumpy Old DudeS)
« Reply #5 on: Jan 21, 2018, 08:28 PM »
Don't be a Debbie Downer. We'll be fine.

Not nice
You could of gotten your point across in a different manner. :nono:
MA

Offline FishingPhotographer

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 21, 2018, 08:42 PM »
Yep, you’re right. Tell everyone!!!! (less people out on the ice, for us!) ;-)
I should’ve chosen Fishin’Mortician as my username… ;-)

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 21, 2018, 09:06 PM »
Not nice

How is Debbie Downer rude??? I’m legitimately asking. I’ve always known it as harmless banter. It’s like calling someone that goes away from the group a Wandering Walter. I don’t get it? Is it because Debbie is a woman’s name?

I also thought our ice season is central Michigan was beginning to end until I traveled to some different lakes today and walked on 13” of solid black ice. We still have a ways to go here. Get out and about and I bet you’ll be surprised.

Yep, you’re right. Tell everyone!!!! (less people out on the ice, for us!) ;-)

On second thought, go with this  ;D
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Offline teamtip-up

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 21, 2018, 09:12 PM »
More than half the state will be cooked( hopefully temporarily) in a week.  Miserable turn after a great start

Offline capt.shay

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pike and 'Eyes
« Reply #9 on: Jan 22, 2018, 05:38 AM »
Not nice

Sarcasm?

"I will never stop targeting trophies, every skunk is one skunk closer to a giant "  RC

"We're going to sit around the shanty mama...."  Johnathan Edwards

"If you are going out there to figure it all out by yourself, well, ice has a
 learning curve second only to fire. I wish you the best of luck."    Looneyducer

Offline Frigid Finz

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish like it's your first cast !
« Reply #10 on: Jan 22, 2018, 06:10 AM »
An awsome season so far. Fishing ponds that havnt froze in years. Yesterday i was on 6 to 9" . With weather bombs rain , snow, then freeze its definately created inconsistant ice, we all see it. By noon yesterday i was sweating my azz off. Actually had a flying bug buzz by, song birds in the back ground. The ice was much softer, the auger was spitting up columns of honeycomb. Its only January. Im thinking most of it will survive this monsoon tomorrow but it will change things again. Its not over !!  Pack a plank, tred with caution. Just my 2 cents. FF

Offline teamtip-up

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Jan 22, 2018, 07:18 AM »
Knockout punch for emass coming tomorrow.  Central mass getting a body blow.   Knockout may come this weekend.  Looks like a torrential one forming up. 

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 22, 2018, 09:28 AM »
With the projected forecast for region, we will definitely see more shoreline ice erosion before the end of the month.
The problem may not be finding safe ice, but rather REACHING safe ice!

We are due for some torrential rain tomorrow, and the temps will be well above freezing for most of the next week or so.

Does that mean the season's over?

HELL NO!

It just means you'll have to be smarter in your choices where and when to go.

Let's hope for the traditional February freeze to get here soon!!!
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - the Existential Blues

I am a legend in my own mind!

Offline THE JIGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jan 22, 2018, 10:08 AM »
How is Debbie Downer rude??? I’m legitimately asking. I’ve always known it as harmless banter. It’s like calling someone that goes away from the group a Wandering Walter. I don’t get it? Is it because Debbie is a woman’s name?

I also thought our ice season is central Michigan was beginning to end until I traveled to some different lakes today and walked on 13” of solid black ice. We still have a ways to go here. Get out and about and I bet you’ll be surprised.

On second thought, go with this  ;D
If you know the guy as a friend and make the comment,I appoligize.
If you don't know him well this is the definition of Debbie Downer •a depressing female. 
MA

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #14 on: Jan 22, 2018, 10:13 AM »
These posts jump the gun hard.  The last rain we had similar things were said....everyone still got on ice.  Why not wait and see what the weather actually does and then post the results. Rather than assuming...

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 22, 2018, 11:11 AM »
Not even close to the end.. or the beginning of it..
"A mans got to know his limitations"

Offline pikemanEd

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 22, 2018, 09:32 PM »
The way this thaw is going is 2-3 warm 2-3 days cold look at tomorrow night already going back below 32° and single digits and teens the next few nights after that then 2-3 days of warm and 2-3 days of cold again. If you ask me it's the best "thaw" we can have it's way better then 10-14 days of warm straight. This is not going to hurt the ice that bad at all we still have awhile to go
Go big or go home

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Jan 23, 2018, 08:09 AM »
Not nice
Jigger, thanks for watching my back. no problem. when you're the bearer of bad news, you gotta expect it. I took that comment in a light hearted way. I'm a pessimist at times.

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Jan 23, 2018, 08:18 AM »
If you know the guy as a friend and make the comment,I appoligize.
If you don't know him well this is the definition of Debbie Downer •a depressing female. 

The Jigger is a gentleman - who knew? there are still some out there! :-)

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Jan 23, 2018, 08:21 AM »
Just be careful gentlemen. Use the spud! More people go through the ice after thaws than early ice just forming.
I live in the midwest now but have fond memories of fishing in New England as a kid.

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Jan 23, 2018, 08:27 AM »
thanks for the reminder, Taxi. spud goes into the car today, so I don't forget

Offline MrE1979

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If it was easy they would call it catching
« Reply #21 on: Jan 23, 2018, 10:41 AM »
These posts jump the gun hard.  The last rain we had similar things were said....everyone still got on ice.  Why not wait and see what the weather actually does and then post the results. Rather than assuming...

We will be fine.  Nights are below freezing and we still have all of February to go.  We know you will find ice if you need to take a weekend trip to the North Pole.  If Lavaman is the million mile fisherman you would have to be the ten million mile fisherman.
It is MY responsibility to make sure my children can enjoy fishing years from now. Make sure your kids can fish.  If you see something ILLEGAL Contact the Massachusetts Environmental Police Radio Room at 1-800-632-8075 at any hour of the day. They might show up if there is enough staff working.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #22 on: Jan 23, 2018, 10:48 AM »
We will be fine.  Nights are below freezing and we still have all of February to go.  We know you will find ice if you need to take a weekend trip to the North Pole.  If Lavaman is the million mile fisherman you would have to be the ten million mile fisherman.

The outlook for February is colder than January.  The miles have cost me....replaced the trans in the 5.9 last month.  Now the saab needs one.  The extra power has helped the input shaft to turn into...well lets just say there is a lack of input...

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Jan 23, 2018, 12:49 PM »
just got a report on one of the ponds that I typically fish. we will need a bridge to get to the ice from the ramp

Offline teamtip-up

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Jan 23, 2018, 01:12 PM »

Results -Open water all over.  Cape is completely cooked.  Everything south and east of Bridgewater is partially or completely open.  I’m sure the ice I was on in foxboro Saturday is unfiahable.   Most likely is is opening up now. 

For those of us in emass that have family responsibilities such as kids sports and  honey do’s or just the desire to be more than a Walking zombi on date night, our season is kaput right now. 
There is no way I am going to drive 80 -100 miles each way to ice fish to the neglect of others that rely on me. 
If you’re single and free then yeah, you got ice.  That isnt reality for most of the participants of the activity. 

Skippy

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #25 on: Jan 23, 2018, 04:19 PM »
It is very ignorant of you to suggest that those who have time to fish neglect their responsibilities or are walking zombies.  Did you suddenly become all knowing?  Your post is even more humorous to me because I could post pm's from you Mr. Teamtipup thanking me for telling you id give you ice information out west 80-100 miles away so that you and your son wouldn't  "waste a day". I love the hypocracy and ignorance of your post.  It made my day because it shows how convoluted some people are...

Im sorry your ice is wiped out but to suggest such things is ridiculous. An indication of you misdirecting your anger about the ice conditions at those who can ice fish readily for whatever reason.  Not the best way to make friends!

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #26 on: Jan 23, 2018, 04:55 PM »

For those of us in emass that have family responsibilities such as kids sports and  honey do’s or just the desire to be more than a Walking zombi on date night, our season is kaput right now. 
There is no way I am going to drive 80 -100 miles each way to ice fish to the neglect of others that rely on me. 
If you’re single and free then yeah, you got ice.  That isnt reality for most of the participants of the activity. 

Its tough when the wife only lets you have a few hours per week to fish, we all totally understand that.   

Offline THE JIGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Jan 23, 2018, 05:03 PM »
Results -Open water all over.  Cape is completely cooked.  Everything south and east of Bridgewater is partially or completely open.  I’m sure the ice I was on in foxboro Saturday is unfiahable.   Most likely is is opening up now. 

Skippy

Why are you classifying people as Walking Zombi's because your particular situation doesn't warrant your ability to manipulate your ice fish and family responsibilities. That is unair to a family person on here that can balance ice fishing 100 miles or more away and family responsibilities.
We do not feel that way in March when down there you can open water fish but we can't because we still have unsafe ice on ponds.

MA

Offline teamtip-up

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Jan 23, 2018, 05:27 PM »
Sorry - I used your quote because you said to wait to report results.  I had some results of the awful weather. 

I did not imply anything about anybody else.  I don’t know if you are married or have kids.  Nothing I posted was personally directed at anyone.   Just my situation and the situation of  those that I fish with.      To a one , we just can’t make those trips.  I explained some of the reasons why WE can’t.   Never did nor would I put a value judgement about what is best for every family.   

Those reasons needed to be on this forum so that people understand why we seem lazy or unmotivated to travel. Look around at the dads you know.  How many make an 80 -100 mile ice quest each weekend.   I bet the number is small.  My son does his homework so I’ll make an adventure happen for him.   I can’t do it every other weekend.  It would put stress on those I love.   That would
Make ice fishing stressful for me.  Sorry but I need 5” of black on the local lake to ice fish regularly.   Doesn’t make me ignorant. 

For us to be Ignored in our despondence with  “there is ice out there “ or “ the weather isn’t going to ruin the ice” is tough when we are looking at whitecaps our the back door.

Just as I messaged you , our time is limited to not available for a run out west.  My boy is now 14.  We have made it out west a grand total of 3 times.    The reasons for such a low total are contained in my post.  I also offered to answer any questions you may have relating to emass ice conditions mass.   I help lots of people acquaint themselves with and take part in this activity.   

Offline Frigid Finz

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish like it's your first cast !
« Reply #29 on: Jan 23, 2018, 05:53 PM »
Yea... So anyway. I heard the same thing February is supposed to be bitter !! FF.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.