The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Which do you feel is more successful....  (Read 1589 times)

Offline hookngal

• Team IceShanty Regular
Which do you feel is more successful....
« on: Jan 20, 2018, 08:52 PM »
When fishing with smelts, do you prefer
hooking them near dorsel fin or through nose/mouth??

Offline HighFlyer

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Which do you feel is more successful....
« Reply #1 on: Jan 21, 2018, 04:14 AM »
Using smelts for Salmon, I find hooking thru eyes gives me the best hookup ratio. 
Ed

Offline nbourque

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fish or die
« Reply #2 on: Jan 21, 2018, 05:08 AM »
Thru the back but I really don’t know if matters.

Offline MG39

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • No Matter Where You Go, There You Are!
« Reply #3 on: Jan 21, 2018, 05:13 AM »
Don't hook through the eyes, that's the demise of the smelt. ::)

Hook bait fish through the dorsal fin in the cartage, not deep, with the hook pointing towards the head.
Fish swallow their prey head fist, that puts the point of the hook in a vertical position when you set it.
Pointing the hook towards the tail allows free travel up the throat with out a hookup, because the point of the hook is down.

But..... that being said, everyone has their own method. :)
Man To Man Is So Unjust,
No Man Knows, Which Man To Trust,
I Have Trusted Many, To My Sorrow,
Pay Cash Today & I Will Trust Tomorrow,
Maybe......

Semper-Fi

Offline Icemanzak

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 21, 2018, 05:21 AM »
I just started running the hook through the nostrils just in front of the eyes and seams to work very well on hooking fish

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 21, 2018, 06:56 AM »
I always hook a bait up tru the bottom jaw out tru the top jaw. this gives you a lively bait longer and it puts the hook in the catch deeper faster. Why bother to buy live bait if you kill it . when USING SMALL LIVE BAIT I HOOK two on one TRU THE BACK UNDER THE DOESAL FIN AND ANOTHER TRU THE LIPS THIS MAKES BAIT MORE VISABLE FROM DIFFERENT DIRECTIONS AND THEY FIGHT EACH OTHER  making a good bite for larger fish..

Offline TwoLightsKid

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 21, 2018, 06:58 AM »

Hook bait fish through the dorsal fin in the cartage, not deep, with the hook pointing towards the head.
Fish swallow their prey head fist, that puts the point of the hook in a vertical position when you set it.
Pointing the hook towards the tail allows free travel up the throat with out a hookup, because the point of the hook is down.

But..... that being said, everyone has heir own method. :)

This is the method I use.  Doesn’t matter as much with smelts because they are small and fairly fragile so you can probably rip the hook through the bait and into the fish’s mouth during the hook set, but it’s very important if you have really big smelts or any larger tougher bait like suckers or big shiners.

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 22, 2018, 01:04 PM »
I've always placed the hook in front of the dorsal so as the point of a offset hook slightly points up when the shank is layed down toward the back of the bait, as would happen as the bait gets eaten.. with most brands of offset hooks, its hooked from right to left. if you do it the other way, the hook will turn into the bait when set.

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
« Reply #8 on: Jan 22, 2018, 01:46 PM »
I've always placed the hook in front of the dorsal so as the point of a offset hook slightly points up when the shank is layed down toward the back of the bait, as would happen as the bait gets eaten.. with most brands of offset hooks, its hooked from right to left. if you do it the other way, the hook will turn into the bait when set.

Hunh! I didn’t know that. Nice! Thanks for the info. As little as I use tip-ups anymore, I have had the hook turn into the bait on occasion. GREAT INFO!!! Thanks! AND I am sure they were REALLY BIG FISH I missed.   :tipup:  ;D
"You can’t buy happiness, but you can buy fishing gear and that’s kind of the same thing.” 

Offline Trout4evah

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 22, 2018, 05:05 PM »
agreed with in front of the dorsal as well. also i find the smelt tends to actually want to swim down the hole with this method vs under or behind the dorsal. they tend to swim upwards which can be frustrating especially when its freezing cold.

Offline MadSledder

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 24, 2018, 07:11 PM »
Agreeing with JackSmelt- take a look at the hook, place it on a flat surface, if you use offset hooks (ex: standard Eagle Claw hooks) the point will want to stick up off the surface when laid on one side, and dig into the table when laid the other way. I usually hook near the dorsal fin, and make an effort to have that point sticking up, in hopes of having a better chance of hooking up. That, of course, is a pain in the but since I'm a lefty and those hooks are made to held in the other hand.

Not sure if it makes noticeable difference in hookup ratios though. 90% of the time the fish has dropped the bait or swallowed it before I pick up the trap.
Gotta Fishem' All!

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jan 25, 2018, 07:55 AM »
I've tried all different ways to hook bait and i find the way i said above seems to work best. but even then, theres times i still miss a fish and pull the bait. i think in these instances the fish just grabs it wrong and no matter how you hook the bait you will lose it.

Offline cap

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #12 on: Jan 25, 2018, 09:22 AM »
I go across and just behind the dorsal...you have to be careful not to spine it...

Offline smitty

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jan 25, 2018, 10:18 AM »

But..... that being said, everyone has their own method. :)
Excellant advise with with hook placement and direction. Would never even though of that.
Will be trying this out next trip

smitty :tipup:

Offline dirtydraws29

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 26, 2018, 03:28 PM »
I have been told always near dorsil thru drivers side. I am a lefty and have noticed for some reason I always go thru passenger side. who knows

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 26, 2018, 03:37 PM »
If you fish for keeps hook up tru both lips keeping mouth shut .

Offline jfisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 26, 2018, 09:40 PM »
I have messed around with bottom lip through the nostrils, smelt seems to be lively but I have better luck through bk of dorsal fin lightly hook with a size 8 hook. I usually fish for salmon an brook trout! Both ways I’m sure work pretty equally! Everyone is going to miss Fish can’t hook everyone.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.