New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: UTV (Side by Side Vehicle) Questions  (Read 3015 times)

Offline LovesLakers

• IceShanty Rookie
UTV (Side by Side Vehicle) Questions
« on: Jan 20, 2018, 04:35 PM »
Has law enforcement ever reprimanded or ticketed you for operating a UTV on public pond/lake ice?  Since these vehicles cannot be registered as an ATV in New York State (because they weigh over 1,000 pounds), I was wondering if the lack of any type of registration is a cause for concern.  I assume if you can show proof of insurance, and are using helmets and seat belts, there shouldn't be a problem.  Also, has anyone purchased a UTV from out-of-state and therefore not had to pay New York State sales tax?  Since there is no vehicle registration process, I assume that New York State has no method or opportunity for collecting such a tax.  Thanks for any input.

Offline Hardwaterlipn147

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: UTV (Side by Side Vehicle) Questions
« Reply #1 on: Jan 20, 2018, 05:20 PM »
I would think you have to have a registration for it kinda a catch 22
weekend hooker!

Offline Esoxman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Certified Bait is ridiclus
« Reply #2 on: Jan 20, 2018, 05:38 PM »
Its like driving a farm tractor.triangle on back indicates slow moving vehicle. Most likely safest too stay off the ice as law enforcement can do what they want.
Ice Fish only, stricly targeting Esox lucius and Masquinongy, everything else is just bait.

Offline fullThrottle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 20, 2018, 05:41 PM »
If they want to they can give you a ticket. They are over the max with and weight to reg as an Atv.

Offline K9fitz

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 20, 2018, 07:59 PM »
A UTV is currently an unregulated class of vehicle, it can't be registered or inspected. The tax on out of state purchase is currently on the honor system when you file your state income tax (same as other out of state purchase).
The slow moving vehicle placard will cover you for road crossing and limited use roads. I would check the local jurisdiction to see if there is a specific regulations governing there use. Generally speaking a summons can't be issued without a section of law sited.  Good luck

Offline MJB518

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 20, 2018, 08:26 PM »
What is the reason why the regulations haven't been amended to allow these vehicle to be registered? I know yhey dont qualify as an atv, but why not an utv class? I don't own one but they appear to be much safer than any ATV. (Rollcages & seatbealts.) These have been out for awhile now. You would think NYS would wanna get their greedy hands some registration $'s.

Offline fullThrottle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 20, 2018, 08:43 PM »
I think everything started with the Honda Odyssey. Not the mini van. Small jacked up go cart looking thing. They came out in the 80s and so many people died they made law as against them. Then I think Yamaha came out with the rhino and they tried to shut it down because it was the “ utv” style. But they advertised it as a utility work vehicle and not a sport vehicle and I think All utvs now fit in that category. You can use it on your land but not on state land . I could be wrong but I think that has something to do with it !

Offline Spikehorn11

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 21, 2018, 05:33 AM »
It really depends on how you act. If they want to write for it they can, but most likely wont unless you give them a reason.
Its like wearing a helmet on an ATV on the ice. Most wont ticket but they can if they want to.

Offline joefish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 21, 2018, 05:59 AM »
What is the reason why the regulations haven't been amended to allow these vehicle to be registered? I know yhey dont qualify as an atv, but why not an utv class? I don't own one but they appear to be much safer than any ATV. (Rollcages & seatbealts.) These have been out for awhile now. You would think NYS would wanna get their greedy hands some registration $'s.
  Its just like the " nontrail snowmobile registration "  The state can't be bothered to mess with such a small number and if they do the price will be out of site.

Offline mealworm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • summer sucks
« Reply #9 on: Jan 21, 2018, 07:44 AM »
There are a few states that u can register utv, pa is 1 I think. Y not register it out of state just like a lot of guys do with heavy equipment trailers. Then u are covered no matter what

Offline gitthegaff

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "Fish on"
« Reply #10 on: Jan 21, 2018, 08:50 AM »
When the Winter Carnival in Lake George is going on , they are all over the place. Cops don't even Bother them, Go out with your buddies fishing and they want to right tickets they do! Wonder where people get attitudes with the Law. Nothing consistant!
Paul

Offline Framer1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 21, 2018, 09:50 AM »
I take mine out almost every weekend.never had an issue.no triangle or anything.been on lots of different water with it.i had an en con officer in the adirondacks check my license and my fish and never even mentioned the side by side

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 21, 2018, 09:50 AM »
Has law enforcement ever reprimanded or ticketed you for operating a UTV on public pond/lake ice?  Since these vehicles cannot be registered as an ATV in New York State (because they weigh over 1,000 pounds), I was wondering if the lack of any type of registration is a cause for concern.  I assume if you can show proof of insurance, and are using helmets and seat belts, there shouldn't be a problem.  Also, has anyone purchased a UTV from out-of-state and therefore not had to pay New York State sales tax?  Since there is no vehicle registration process, I assume that New York State has no method or opportunity for collecting such a tax.  Thanks for any input.

There can, and will be a problem. They cant be registered in NY. They are illegal on the ice. Its just that simple! I know someone forst hand who was ticketed on the ice. I also know someone who was ticketed and had side by side impounded last fall.

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jan 21, 2018, 09:52 AM »
It really depends on how you act. If they want to write for it they can, but most likely wont unless you give them a reason.
Its like wearing a helmet on an ATV on the ice. Most wont ticket but they can if they want to.

You guys have some very forgiving officers then.. up here, no helmet, automatic ticket. 2 riders on an ATV designed for q operator, ticket. Not using a rigid tow bar? Ticket.

Offline Framer1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Jan 21, 2018, 09:57 AM »
Impounded??come on.i find that hard to believe.they bring the rollback out on the ice to get it?like I said,I take mine every weekend,never had a problem.i know it's illegal,but it's a stupid law.if they would let me register it I would.if I get a ticket,I'm sure the fine isn't much more than the 3 years worth of registration I haven't paid

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 21, 2018, 10:22 AM »
Impounded??come on.i find that hard to believe.they bring the rollback out on the ice to get it?like I said,I take mine every weekend,never had a problem.i know it's illegal,but it's a stupid law.if they would let me register it I would.if I get a ticket,I'm sure the fine isn't much more than the 3 years worth of registration I haven't paid

Two seperate instinces i was talking about. I said impounded last FALL, not on the ice. Learn to read, tool... it was all over facebook, had a lot of people upset. But sure, just keep believing im making it up.

Offline hunt4perch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 21, 2018, 10:25 AM »

I know of a person who was jailed and his utv was impounded.

He had just robbed a bank.

Offline Framer1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Jan 21, 2018, 10:28 AM »
Relax buddy,I did notice you said fall after I posted that.so...my bad. :).but in my experiences the officers are good guys who understand that they won't let us register them.and it seems there would have to be more to the story than just unregistered utv to get impounded?maybe I'm wrong.the guy asked if us on the site if we have ever had problems with utvs on the ice,and I personally have not...even when checked

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Jan 21, 2018, 10:32 AM »
Relax buddy,I did notice you said fall after I posted that.so...my bad. :).but in my experiences the officers are good guys who understand that they won't let us register them.and it seems there would have to be more to the story than just unregistered utv to get impounded?maybe I'm wrong.the guy asked if us on the site if we have ever had problems with utvs on the ice,and I personally have not...even when checked

I know its extremely unlikely. Lots of guys use them all over the state. I was just saying, theres always that chance. Makes me nervous, i have poor luck like that.

Offline xxxbeer247

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 21, 2018, 10:44 AM »
I’m pretty sure you have just as much of a right to have an utv on the ice as you would a farm tractor? Because you can’t register them in ny therefore most insurance companies won’t even insure them. State Farm won’t but if anyone knows of another insurance company that will insure without a registration please let me know!

Offline Framer1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Jan 21, 2018, 10:59 AM »
Mine is insured through liberty mutual and it was under $100/year.also they will cover it if it goes through the ice.i found that very hard to believe but I asked.i never want to have that problem!!it is a shame they won't let you register them,I think a lot more people would buy them.i put tracks on mine and I think it's the ultimate ice fishing and hunting vehicle.lots of room for gear and will go anywhere as long as ice is good

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #21 on: Jan 21, 2018, 11:05 AM »
There are a few states that u can register utv, pa is 1 I think. Y not register it out of state just like a lot of guys do with heavy equipment trailers. Then u are covered no matter what

You're right, you can register them in Pennsylvania just like you register a quad.

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Jan 21, 2018, 11:21 AM »
Mine is insured through liberty mutual and it was under $100/year.also they will cover it if it goes through the ice.i found that very hard to believe but I asked.i never want to have that problem!!it is a shame they won't let you register them,I think a lot more people would buy them.i put tracks on mine and I think it's the ultimate ice fishing and hunting vehicle.lots of room for gear and will go anywhere as long as ice is good

Tracks are awesome.. i would like to get a set for my grizzly.

Offline Framer1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Jan 21, 2018, 11:49 AM »
Nnyice,buy a set...you will love them

Offline mcperch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Jan 21, 2018, 02:13 PM »
You can register a tractor in New York go buy your town building, the Front End Loaders have plates and so don't the tractor with the towns BUT the farmers triangle slow moving vehicle  :callcops: :cookoo: there's GREY laws all around
McPerch

Offline drumhunter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Jan 21, 2018, 03:46 PM »
I have a Polaris Ranger with tracks that I bought mainly for ice fishing and going back in places I want to get to in the winter ...have had many a conversation with ENCON officers on the ice ,when they find out I'm fully insured and I don't act like an ass towards them I have never had an issue . I have told a couple of them that I wish I could register it but good old New York State doesn't want my money ,to witch one guy laughed.  My point ... Most of these ENCON guys are okay if you don't act like a disrespectful jerk ! With that being said I'm a big boy and if and when one gives me an unregistered ticket I will pay it ,but will not stop using it . ;D

Offline HardwaterPiker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Jan 21, 2018, 03:51 PM »
Just put tracks on my Commander Max 1000, was thinking about taking it to Cranberry next weekend but I probably won't. There are always tons of side by sides on the ice derby weekend, even had a big honda with tracks pull my buddies wheeler of the ice derby day a few years back. Encon guys asked the guy to do it. I just wish NY would get there crap together and come up with something for us guys with utv's. I also heard the rumors of impounding last year to so I'm not going to chance it. 
ICE FISHING - We're all here because we ain't all there!

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
« Reply #27 on: Jan 21, 2018, 04:08 PM »
If you are concerned, why not email DEC, get their official stance on utv's. If they say they are allowed, then print off a copy, and keep it with you on the ice. If anyone says anything, pull out the email.  ;D
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Offline Hess

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Jan 22, 2018, 03:18 PM »
In New Hampshire, any non-resident can register their UTV and get NH OHRV decals, as long as they have a Driver's License and identifying info on the machine (year, make/model, VIN, etc.) -- $76 -- good from July 1st to June 30th of the following year...!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.