Author Topic: Coating Spray for Inside of Hub?  (Read 1340 times)

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
Coating Spray for Inside of Hub?
« on: Jan 20, 2018, 12:17 AM »
Losing the black coating inside my hub, too lazy to put it back in the bag. Doesn't really affect anything, but looks like crap and annoys me with the light coming through. Anyone know what I could spray on the inside? Was thinking maybe that spray rubber flex seal type stuff.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: Coating Spray for Inside of Hub?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 20, 2018, 04:12 AM »
Clam recommends Plastidip
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Mountain Maggot

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Waiting for the next Ice Age
« Reply #2 on: Jan 20, 2018, 05:32 AM »
What ever you end up using, remember volatile organic chemicals often are flammable and emit fumes for awhile.  The other consideration is pliability for folding.

I have the same issue starting with my Frabill flip-up.  Let me know about your treatment success and the ease of putting it on.  A before and after pic would be awesome!

MM. 🐛🐛🐛

Offline Cortland15b

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 20, 2018, 06:53 AM »
Rustoleum vinyl and fabric dye spray, black. Used on some old white sun visors to make them black. Worked well. Can't say much for flammability but usually the new stuff is good except when you're spraying it obviously

Offline Capt.Jim-N.J.

« Reply #4 on: Jan 20, 2018, 08:49 AM »
The people who make the different styles of hubs & shelters usually recommend using the spray 'Plastikdip', do it in light coats so it will twist and bend, heavy coats tend to not
     be so pliable and forgiving; don't use the flex-seal from the T.V. ads, it will get as hard as a rock when it dries; and yes, pay attention to fumes, a good 'air out' will be needed
     after use

Good Luck
Now is the time for all good men and women to engage in the sport of ice fishing

Offline Fish Butcher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 20, 2018, 08:58 AM »
That is what I use and will continue to use, because it works well.

Offline IceholeFisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jan 20, 2018, 10:05 AM »
A friend has an original Clam Fish trap Scout. It doesnt have a black coating....just blue material. He was just saying he could feel wind through the material. Will the Plasticoat wind proof it?
May ol man winter blow a cool breeze up your shorts!

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7 on: Jan 20, 2018, 07:22 PM »

Good call. I'll give that a try.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline Cortland15b

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 20, 2018, 07:52 PM »
Plastidip is designed to be peeled off when you want to change the color if you spray your car with it. If it's the same stuff. My brother painted his wheels with it

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #9 on: Jan 20, 2018, 08:40 PM »
Plastidip is designed to be peeled off when you want to change the color if you spray your car with it. If it's the same stuff. My brother painted his wheels with it

Peels off of slick surfaces, but adheres like super glue to fabric. Similarly to silicone sealer, you can peel it off of slick metals but don't get it on your clothing. My guess is that it will peel off of the black coating that is left, but leave pieces where the fabric is exposed.
EYECONICFISHING

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.