Author Topic: Line size for panfish?  (Read 3488 times)

Offline markinohio

• Team IceShanty Regular
Line size for panfish?
« on: Jan 19, 2018, 03:20 PM »
I’ve been using 2lb P-Line Floroclear for the past few years. Pretty happy with the sensitivity of the line when using tiny jigs, but I’ve been getting a lot of break-offs due to abrasion. Not so much loosing fish, but breaking off when removing the hook or pulling fish out of the hole. My eyes are not getting any better, and it is difficult to see the jig…let alone the eye. I hate re-tying on the ice. I’m thinking about bumping up to 3 or 4lb Floroclear to reduce the break-offs. So, in your opinion is the increased abrasion resistance worth the loss in sensitivity?

Offline SKIFFLAKEJIMMY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Line size for panfish?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 19, 2018, 03:28 PM »
I use 3lb P Line Floro. I have never had a problem. I had a knot come untied last week. Probably my fault, not the line. I am like you, can't retie on the ice. If I want to change lures, I change rods. I carry 6 or 7.
Thank you Lord for thinkin bout me. I'm alive and doin fine!!!!!!

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 19, 2018, 03:51 PM »
2-4lb line....I prefer 3lb myself..most brands are good....Pline, micro ice, and northland. Like you said to many break offs with 2lb line

Offline DrewFlu33

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 19, 2018, 04:02 PM »
I don't think you'll lose any sensitivity. In fact, I'd wager you'd have more sensitivity due to the higher test varieties taking more force to stretch.  What you will lose in going up is some of the invisibility factor that comes with very light line, as well as some action due to the larger diameter lines being more stiff.  How much this matters is open to interpretation.

I personally run 15 lb braid on all my ice fishing setups then tack on a fluoro leader depending on the conditions and species being targeted.  I like 2 lb for panfish, and have actually caught some nice walleyes on it.  You do need to retie more often, though, which is what you're wanting to avoid.

Offline mrjohnny

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • to cold for me to fish..i'm packin up
« Reply #4 on: Jan 19, 2018, 05:07 PM »
I have always stuck with 6 lb...you never know when the monster will hit..

doesn't seem to bother the pan fish..
too cold ....aint going out there..

Offline 1moslab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 19, 2018, 05:15 PM »
I use 2lb don't have many break offs but I do check and retie as needed.i like the anso line

Offline VTMatt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 19, 2018, 05:37 PM »
Tried 2, too many re-ties needed. Went to 4 and am happy.

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7 on: Jan 19, 2018, 05:46 PM »
I use 4 pound and haven't had any problems with breaking the line even when I had bass or pickerel on or having to retie my knots. 

Offline adkiceman1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 19, 2018, 05:50 PM »
I like 3lb. Like many others said too many break offs with 2.  3 seems to be just right.  I landed this 5lb pike on 3lb last week.

I’m feeling alright, I’m feeling ooooookay! - moe.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #9 on: Jan 20, 2018, 03:05 AM »
Not sure what you mean by losing sensitivity. 

The # test can be ambiguous.  At .100 mm it can be either 1# test or 2# test. depending on mfg.

The following lines are about the same diameter, but varies a lot in line break strength.

Stroft GTM 5X 5.28# test .15 mm line break 5# 10 oz.
ASSO Micron 3 .153 mm 4# knot break 4# 8 oz. Mfg claim break of 4.8#
Pline Floroclear .16 mm 3# line break 4# 1 oz.
Pline Floroice .15 mm 3# line break 3# 3 oz.
Gamma ESP Ice .15 mm 4# line break 5# 2 oz. Mfg claim break of 4.9#

Of course each line has a slight different characteristics/properties.  Some more stiff than others.  Some more stretch elasticity than others.  Some more line memory than others. Even how little difference between Pline Floroclear and Floroice are, those two 3# lines behaves very differently in the cold temps.  They say it's the same line.

For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline captain54

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 20, 2018, 06:05 AM »
2lb is to light,4lb is to heavy. 3 lb is just right. I know what your saying about tough to see but it's best to re tie after catching a lot of fish. Another option is taking several rods so you don't have to re tie jigs.

Offline markinohio

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 20, 2018, 06:24 AM »
Thanks! I’m going to give Floroclear a try in 3lb test. Like I said, I’m happy with the line, but too may break-offs. By sensitivity, I was trying to describe the ability to “feel” the jig, and I really like how the jig feels with 2lb Floroclear.

I already carry 8 rods (half of which have jigs tied on)……………but I could fit one more. LOL, it never ends.

When I’m sitting over a school, it is hard to force myself to re-tie knowing there are hungry fish down there. Further, if you don’t keep them entertained, they will move. Usually, I only re-tie when forced……after all of my other jig rods have broken off.

Just by writing this I developed a new strategy. I’m still going to still give 3lb a try, and maybe that solves the problem. But, I’m going to have one jig rod loaded with 4lb. That way after I break off the first 3, I have a 4lb test indestructible crappie killer.

Offline 1moslab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 20, 2018, 07:47 AM »
I believe a good reel with a good drag is also just as important .i have pulled in 5lb bass and 30" cats with asso 2lb.like slippery said its not just about line strength they do perform differently .your lure will behave a little differently as you go up in diameter .it sounds like you might want to go with more of your rods ready  also.if your already taking all them.

Offline JiggingIowa

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 20, 2018, 07:58 AM »
I dealt with the same thing with the 2lb pline, switched to 3lb pline and literally haven’t had an issue in 3 years. I have a 1lb and 2lb setup that use a super line leader, only use them when the bite is really finicky, but they hold up better than the equivalent weight pline.

Offline WYIfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fishing a sport, or just reason to buy stuff?
« Reply #14 on: Jan 20, 2018, 09:44 AM »
2lb is to light,4lb is to heavy. 3 lb is just right. I know what your saying about tough to see but it's best to re tie after catching a lot of fish. Another option is taking several rods so you don't have to re tie jigs.
When I was a kid in the very early 60's we drove 20 miles through the woods to fish for bluegills and we used one pole each.  All of us used 6 pound mono on a rod that had two nails to wrap the line around. I don't remember any time we got skunked or had issues with the fish other than we couldn't keep up with the bait.  We kept a five gallon bucket full each trip and also kept the lake from becoming stunted which it was leaning toward. Great memories.
Thread killer

Offline Dave R

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Jan 20, 2018, 02:12 PM »
I pretty much use 3# micro ice or Suffix. I think I prefer the green micro ice.

Offline kevs

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Jan 20, 2018, 08:43 PM »
I've been using 2lb PLine CX for past four years on ice rods with in-lines and spinning reels for panfish and not had any issues. I've caught several fish (bass and cats) up to six lbs without a problem. Playing the fish and correct drag setting makes a difference. I do retie my when fish are biting continuously. PLine CX wasn't my first choice for ice fishing line but getting a thousand yard spool for $7.00 swayed my choice.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #17 on: Jan 20, 2018, 08:54 PM »
I've been down to 1# before. I now use 3lb on my jig rods, 4lb on spoon rods, and 6lb on rap rods (targeting crappie but big bass and walleye will hit often)
EYECONICFISHING

Offline Foxzyk

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Jan 28, 2018, 07:51 PM »
Lakes here are ultra clear, I use 2lb Pline with no problems. For water over 20ft I use powerpro with a 2lb leader for more sensitivity. On my spoon rod I use 4lb Pline, and on all my walleye set ups I use 6lb. With ultra clear lakes I have to use 2lb, I do retire often though. Go to 3lb, if you fish semi stained water 4lb would be fine. Also keep your rods setup all the time with your top lures you use all the time.

Offline spoof

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 28, 2018, 08:22 PM »
2 always

Offline Neil McCauley

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Jan 28, 2018, 08:32 PM »
I don't get breakoffs with 26" lakers and pickerel using 2lb line. Break-offs from pannies is kind of crazy. You must be doing something very wrong. Should change the last 3 feet every trip out, keep your line away from hole edges which you should keep smooth, be sure you're tying the right knots, etc.

Offline Glowjigger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Jan 28, 2018, 09:17 PM »
I started with 4 lb then switched to 2 lb and last year I started using 3 lb. I really like it and will most likely stick with it from now on.

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #22 on: Jan 28, 2018, 10:24 PM »
I use 2 Lb micro ice steel blue, I can’t remember my line breaking off on any fish, yes I have been bitten off by pike though, without a steel leader it is hard to stop that. But the number of big panfish I have caught on 2 Lb line leaves me with no reason to ever go heavier. If you are breaking your line with 2 Lb. your rod reel is not correct for light line.

Offline Super-ice-bird

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • That's a fifth next to that brown!
« Reply #23 on: Jan 28, 2018, 11:03 PM »
P-line floro. I generally use heavier line because I never know what I’m going to catch in the lakes around here.
Come on fish!

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #24 on: Jan 29, 2018, 05:19 AM »
2,3 or 4#...all will work well. I personally use 3# fluoro.
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #25 on: Jan 29, 2018, 08:07 AM »
Two reasons I use 2 Lb line. 1. Jig falls faster, and 2. has better action with each pound test lighter line I use, I am certain I catch more fish. These pan fish around here in clear water will sit there and stare at your jig for a long time deciding if they will hit it or not. Lighter line means more strikes period.

Offline Mountain Maggot

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Waiting for the next Ice Age
« Reply #26 on: Jan 29, 2018, 08:43 AM »
Often my jigs are 1/64 for panfish and finicky trout.  2# is what it takes to easily drop the jig down the hole.  I’ve taken trout to 8 lbs on 2# and look for frays after each fish as well as bent or dulled hooks.  Like you, I don’t like to tie on new jigs during a fish frenzy so always have backup rod that are rigged ready to go.

In my opinion, the newer lines have a much higher-poundage, breaking strength than 20-30 years ago.  On the flip side, heavier lines are lower diameter and less visible than ever before.  On heavier fish, I use #10 that I swear if I didn’t keep track of spooling the line that I would guess to be #6.

So it often depends on the weight of the lure or bait you are using as much as the worry about a big fish break off.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.