Author Topic: Panfish ice rods  (Read 4238 times)

Offline Peccavi18

• Team IceShanty Regular
Panfish ice rods
« on: Jan 19, 2018, 07:05 AM »
Forgive me if this is the wrong area but I figured it would get more traffic here. Where I live we don't have much selection for ice fishing anything and what we do have is usually cheap combo rods. I am looking for a good mid price point ($50ish) panfish rod. I currently use my grandfathers old Southbend MicroLite No. ML-200. 24 its an ultra lite, looking online its probably been discontinued for years. It's had the tip broken and reglued but its still the most sensitive rod I've ever used, I can see and feel every bite but yet still has enough backbone. Without being able to check out many rods in person I'm hoping someone can suggest another rod that is similar.

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Panfish ice rods
« Reply #1 on: Jan 19, 2018, 07:13 AM »
I haven’t used a store bought rod in years so I can’t really help you out with brands but I do know there are a lot of decent rods for panfish in the $50 range now. I know people will give you good suggestions. You really should be able to find exactly what you’re looking for.
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Chute82

« Reply #2 on: Jan 19, 2018, 07:25 AM »
i know you 140 miles south of Erie but Fishusa is located in Fairview just west of Erie and has a huge section of ice fishing rods and gear.  Lots of guys like the HT blue super flex rods for panfish and they are cheap. They also have higher end rods... if your in Erie fishing check them out and free shipping over $50

https://www.fishusa.com/Ice-Fishing/Ice-Fishing-Rods

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #3 on: Jan 19, 2018, 07:33 AM »
Forgive me if this is the wrong area but I figured it would get more traffic here. Where I live we don't have much selection for ice fishing anything and what we do have is usually cheap combo rods. I am looking for a good mid price point ($50ish) panfish rod. I currently use my grandfathers old Southbend MicroLite No. ML-200. 24 its an ultra lite, looking online its probably been discontinued for years. It's had the tip broken and reglued but its still the most sensitive rod I've ever used, I can see and feel every bite but yet still has enough backbone. Without being able to check out many rods in person I'm hoping someone can suggest another rod that is similar.

I have the same rod in a 30" and love it. Don't know what I would replace it with.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline frmboybuck

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 19, 2018, 07:46 AM »
Check out the snitch rod by 13 fishing. It has a very light tip and goes into a great backbone. In my opinion, it's one of the best off the shelf rods available

Offline massNtrash

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 19, 2018, 07:51 AM »
In your price range I would say a Jason Mitchel meat stick would be a good choice. I had one for a while and it was a nice rod for the money.

Offline maddogg

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jan 19, 2018, 07:59 AM »
Check out the snitch rod by 13 fishing. It has a very light tip and goes into a great backbone. In my opinion, it's one of the best off the shelf rods available

I bought one this year now it's my go rod.

Offline hays47

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 19, 2018, 08:04 AM »
My childhood hero " one eye Ernie " used a South Bend ice rod way back when. Don't remember if it was this particular model, But I am certain it was a South Bend.

Ernie was a gruff and grizzled old WWII vet . Some said he lost his one eye during the war. I don't know if true as I never asked. All I know he was the best panfish/icefisherman I ever knew. He taught me the pencil grip back in the late 50's. He only ever used one rod and it never left his hand while fishing.  Will never forget watching that rod bend when he hooked up .

He was not the friendliest person I ever met. But he loved to teach how to fish if you were willing to listen. I never actually went with him on a fishing trip. We just fished same places often. Soon as he would see me show up he would wave me over. Seemed like he was always on fish regardless of conditions. I used to think that South Bend of his was more a magic wand than a fishing rod.

Didn't mean to hijack thread but seeing that rod jogged a lot of memories.
Echomap 94  Chirp with panoptix ps-22.
G.E.F.M

Offline Jesse yourich

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 19, 2018, 08:08 AM »
I use “ice blues” light rod I bought one 15 yrs ago and love it in fact I looked them up on fish USA and found them I bought 3 24” for 7.99$ a piece and 3 30” for 8.99$ a piece I am very happy with these no need for a spring bobber with them

Offline Bucket Rump

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Jan 19, 2018, 09:12 AM »

I have one of those rods in the 24" length, as well - got it as a gift from my Dad many, many years ago and it is to this day my most cherished ice rod.  I still use it on occasion as it is one fun rod with even the smallest of panfish on the other end.  As already mentioned, can't go wrong with the HT Ice Blues for pannies and I use Fenwick Elite Tech and Aetos rods as well - a bit more backbone to 'em than the old Southbend.   :)

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 19, 2018, 09:43 AM »
look at the beaver dam and dave genz noodle rods.  about 30 bucks a pop and they have all the backbone you need and the sensitive tip for detecting bites without a spring bobber. 

i run a few custom rods most of the time but picked these up on sale and they are almost as good as my 80 dollar customs.

Offline Fat Boy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Mason-Dixon - Crappie beware!
« Reply #11 on: Jan 19, 2018, 09:54 AM »
I have one of those rods in the 24" length, as well - got it as a gift from my Dad many, many years ago and it is to this day my most cherished ice rod.  I still use it on occasion as it is one fun rod with even the smallest of panfish on the other end.  As already mentioned, can't go wrong with the HT Ice Blues for pannies

Same with me.  I loved my red South Bend and still use it.  The closest to them are the HT Ice Blues, I like them too.  I have one of those and one of my South Bend rods where the tip broke off.  I crimped a home made spring bobber on the end and both are my go to rods.  I have much more expensive rods, but these two along with two that have yet to break (one each of the HT and South Bend), have caught me about 90% of all of my panfish over the years.  The other rods are good, it is just that for some reason, I like these better.  It is probably more superstition than anything  ;D

One of my buddies loves the Jason Mitchell rods and does very well with them.  I want one but have yet to pull the trigger and get one.  I mean, how many ice rods do I need?  I might have about 30 set ups LOL
Kevin Wilson
http://fatboysoutdoors.blogspot.com/

Don't Leave Fish to Find Fish!

Offline Old Goat

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 19, 2018, 12:30 PM »
I found one of those at a garage sale last year. I gave it away though. Anyway  southbend makes nice pan fish rods. The one I liked was 27 cold steel a bit beefier than the red one but plenty light for everything except a pike.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #13 on: Jan 19, 2018, 03:17 PM »
Tough to say an UL rod will have backbone.  Gotta go with those quick tips...bobber like tips into medium power backbones.  They will be different from fishing an UL rod.  Just depends on exactly what one is after.  I would go with a L power rod if looking for a little more power for hooked fish.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline Charman03

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 19, 2018, 06:28 PM »
I also have southbend rods. Closest thing as mentioned is the ht ice blues. If you want to spend some money a nicer version of these is the Thorne bros power noodle. It's my favorite

Offline ajv5148

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Team Treehouse
« Reply #15 on: Jan 19, 2018, 08:32 PM »
Ht ice blues is fantastic and only $10

Offline Flint

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 19, 2018, 08:53 PM »
The 15 dollar Shakespeare blue fiberglass rod is a good one.

Offline Hooked up

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 19, 2018, 09:00 PM »
Frabill Ice Hunter Series Pat Kalmerton 26" ultra light is a nice pan fish rod. Retail price is $59.99 I also like Dave Genz True Blue Signature Series 24" ultra light.

Offline JiggingIowa

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jan 19, 2018, 09:47 PM »
For off the shelf panfish rods, many good options have been listed (Jason Mitchell meatstick, no.8 Snitch, beaver dam noodle rod, etc), but the second gen ticklestick (the one with the white reel seat) in an ultra light is probably as good for a pan fish rig as many of my more expensive custom noodle style rods. If you really want a soft rod you can go sul, but the ul is enough to see the light bites with enough backbone if needed for something a little bigger.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #19 on: Jan 19, 2018, 09:57 PM »
I think one rod that is seriously overlooked, and should hve a cult following like the HT ice blues but doesn't get mentioned much......is the HT Polar Lite Rods.

When Panfishing in 15ft or less I find myself grabbing two rod setups.

1. The HT Polar Lite LM 27in with a Black Betty fly reel and gaurd.
2. The HT Ice Blues L 24in with a No. 8 Code Blue fly reel and gaurd.

I think the Polar light has the sensitivity but a touch more back bone over the HT Ice Blues. Also the handle is an upgrade with the reel seat and all.

Offline Hunterbare1234

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Jan 19, 2018, 09:58 PM »
I absolutely love my 'Fenwick HMX' ultralight with a Shimano sienna 500 with 3lb flouro. You can feel the smallest of bites and you can use the smallest of lures and still feel it.

Offline Peccavi18

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Jan 20, 2018, 12:14 AM »
I love that so many of us love this rod. I thought it was just sentimental attachment, but I have caught more fish in one day with this rod than I have with all my other crappy ultralight rods combined. I just enjoy fishing this rod. I have ordered online from FishUsa, I just need to  stop in and see if I can find another rod similar to this (and without my wife killing me for buying all kinds of new gear) Thanks for the recommendations so far I literally wrote every one down.

Offline Foosty

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Veni, Vidi, Vici.
« Reply #22 on: Jan 20, 2018, 05:53 PM »
I have several HT ice blue rods, they're excellent rid for the price. I advise buying a couple of them and then go hog wild on new lures!
!!!FISH ON!!!

Offline Foxzyk

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Jan 28, 2018, 08:10 PM »
Tickle sticks and St Croix avid glass rods. I love the avid glass rods, not as sensitive as the tickle sticks, but they handle anything that you could hook into under the ice. Glass rods are just awesome!!

Offline desmobob

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I can't feel my toes...
« Reply #24 on: Jan 28, 2018, 09:01 PM »
I am looking for a good mid price point ($50ish) panfish rod.

At that price point, I think the Fenwick Elite Tech UL is an excellent rod. 

Tight lines,
Bob

Offline Sylvanboat

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Feb 01, 2018, 04:33 PM »
Check eBay. South Bend and other rods available at low prices. A guy there sells custom rods he claims use same blank as St Croix. I bot a medium rod from him and very satisfied.

Offline Mountain Maggot

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Waiting for the next Ice Age
« Reply #26 on: Feb 01, 2018, 05:04 PM »
Ht ice blues is fantastic and only $10

2X

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Feb 02, 2018, 05:36 AM »
I was in a bait shop a couple years ago and saw the Snitch rods. Thought they looked really good and wanted one... but then I stumbled upon some St Croix rods, a couple premiers and a legend silver. My legend is my go-to panfish and crappie rod and I got the premiers ready and waiting in the wings. But that snitch is a great looking rod. There's a guy I heard of on this site that makes and sells custom rods. He's a vet and does a nice job on them but I don't remember the name of his shop. Maybe someone on here remembers him and can pipe in, that is definitely a way to go.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #28 on: Feb 02, 2018, 06:07 AM »
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline NEZ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Good fishing and safe ice
« Reply #29 on: Feb 02, 2018, 05:58 PM »
I really like the Wicked 13 ice rods.  Very sensitive and do not need a strike indicator to see bite.  A good quality rod will make a world of difference.  The tickle stick is a good rod and I have one, but it is worth spending alittle more for the Widow Maker.  All I can say is wow.  Can see bites very easily.   Good luck in what ever rod you get.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.