The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Fish Fry  (Read 2218 times)

Offline KLR1968

• IceShanty Rookie
Fish Fry
« on: Jan 18, 2018, 10:53 PM »
Is it legal in Montana to catch em and cook em right out there on the ice? I assume it would be legal as long as you keep the heads to to verify that you are not over the limit. Anyone ever done this before? Would make for a really great trip to have dinner out there and keep fishing till the next day.I cant seem to find any info on this.

Offline MTsGrumpyIceMan

• IceShanty Rookie
  • JC
Re: Fish Fry
« Reply #1 on: Jan 19, 2018, 01:18 AM »
I believe once they are ingested, the fish caught are no longer part of any limit.  I will try to look this up further to verify, but that is what my understanding of the regs and talking with some individuals has yielded.
:Ice fishing, because staying warm is for pansies.☃
:Ice fisherman can walk on water, beat that.😉
:Ice fishing, only the strong or the clinically insane survive.😜
:When Hell freezes over....I'll ice fish there too!🎣😈
🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸

Offline Born Late

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 19, 2018, 01:32 AM »
“While a person is fishing, or while on the water or on the ice:
• All fish in possession must be visibly identifiable to species.
• All fish in possession must be whole with head, skin, fins and tail attached. Gills and
entrails may be removed.”
YOU are the only one who can decide if the ice is safe enough for you.

Offline PerchPounderMT

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 19, 2018, 09:06 AM »
There ya go,cant eat them on the ice. :'(
Dont ask

Offline Lsranger406

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 19, 2018, 09:24 AM »
So lets say I go perch fishing and catch 15 eaters on a Friday. Can you eat those fish on the ice on Saturday?
America is all about speed hot,nasty,bad a** speed

Offline PerchPounderMT

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 19, 2018, 09:25 AM »
"ALL FISH IN POSSESSION"....thats pretty clear
Dont ask

Offline flatgo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 19, 2018, 09:44 AM »
Once they are ingested I don't think they are part of your possession limit.  If you eat them the same day i'm sure they go against your daily limit.  I would do a fish fry on the ice with out hesitating I'm sure the only thing a warden would ask about is if he could have some.

Offline crlogging

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 19, 2018, 09:54 AM »
There is no limits on a lot of fish in some places like pike and perch I say eat them and offer the f&g warden some if he asks about it.

Offline njoy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 19, 2018, 09:57 AM »
What species and where may be involved. No limit on perch in many areas. We have fried perch fillets on the ice once. Kept the carcasses in a bag to haul off the ice.

Offline PerchPounderMT

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Jan 19, 2018, 09:57 AM »
There is a limit on everything around here except trash fish.
Dont ask

Tinker

« Reply #10 on: Jan 19, 2018, 10:21 AM »
I think it is best to consult the regs and/or FWP for yourself and not depend on what us internet jockeys tell you.  But I'm still going to tell you what for  ;D 

I believe daily limit is from midnight to midnight. 

The all fish in possession while on the water would be pretty easy to get around.  Go to shore, clean the fish, then come back out to the shack and cook/eat the fish.   Just please don't take more than your daily limit for that day.  Oh wait I just re-read it , it states "once off the water or ice, fish may be dressed and filleted for transport to your permanent residence, unless size limits apply, under the following conditions" ( I am not going to type it all out, but the transport to permanent residence could get you )

So I guess you have to bring fish from home to eat on the ice  ???  Good grief, I swear every time I read the regs I become more and more convinced that they try to make it difficult to write more tickets  :-\  Then I realize that I have been checked by a warden like 3 or 4 times in 20+ years in MT so maybe not.     

Offline Fortpeck1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Jan 19, 2018, 11:32 AM »
Just talked to fish and game,
You can eat the fish on the ice, counts against your daily limit.
if you catch on Friday and eat on sat, only count again Friday daily limit, can still catch your limit for Sat
Your possession limit stays the same

Offline PerchPounderMT

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Jan 19, 2018, 11:53 AM »
And so how does this reg get tossed out?
"All fish in possession must be whole with head, skin, fins and tail attached. Gills and
As usual the F&G doesnt know their own regs and depending on who you ask they change,nothing new.
Dont ask

Offline Fortpeck1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Jan 19, 2018, 11:59 AM »
if you eat it, it is no longer in your possession
, but still counts against your daily catch limit

Offline PerchPounderMT

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Jan 19, 2018, 12:12 PM »
Just called the enforcement division in Helena,they told me they had never been asked that question and they would get back to me....exactly what they have told me the last two times I asked them about a reg.
Dont ask

Offline hoofer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 19, 2018, 12:37 PM »
its still in your possession until you get rid of it. in one end out the other.
fish till it hurts then fish some more

Offline fridayfish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 19, 2018, 01:06 PM »
And so how does this reg get tossed out?
"All fish in possession must be whole with head, skin, fins and tail attached. Gills and
As usual the F&G doesnt know their own regs and depending on who you ask they change,nothing new.
this is for fish with size limits. perch don't have size limits. trout do. cook trout with the heads on.

Tinker

« Reply #17 on: Jan 19, 2018, 01:39 PM »
Just called the enforcement division in Helena,they told me they had never been asked that question and they would get back to me....exactly what they have told me the last two times I asked them about a reg.
Don't call FWP, e-mail them, there is a contact us section on the website and has almost always resulted in a response within a day or 2 for me.  That way they have time to talk to a supervisor, study the written regs and best of all they e-mail the answer back which you can print and keep with you in case of an argument with a warden or judge.   

Offline lundin-loading

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Jan 19, 2018, 01:50 PM »
this is for fish with size limits. perch don't have size limits. trout do. cook trout with the heads on.

Perch in several reservoirs have size restrictions relative to harvest.

Offline PerchPounderMT

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Jan 19, 2018, 03:03 PM »
Don't call FWP, e-mail them, there is a contact us section on the website and has almost always resulted in a response within a day or 2 for me.  That way they have time to talk to a supervisor, study the written regs and best of all they e-mail the answer back which you can print and keep with you in case of an argument with a warden or judge.
Good Idea,they called me basically told me its going to be up to the local wardens discretion,regs for that piece of water,ect.Nothing concrete even though she contacted three wardens.
Dont ask

Offline WilleyBooger

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Jan 23, 2018, 10:13 AM »
When people go backpacking in summer, catching and eating fish for their breakfast, lunch, or dinner is a normal occurrence. Also, it seems to be a Montana tradition to cook and eat caught fish as part of the fishing experience, to eat the fish streamside or lakeside. Eating fish the same day they are caught is very common. I don't understand why FWP doesn't have a clear policy about it.

Offline PerchPounderMT

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Jan 23, 2018, 11:59 AM »
Because they like to leave grey areas in all matters,leaving things like this up to a wardens discretion is basically throwing out the regs.
Dont ask

Offline jms5580

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Jan 23, 2018, 03:28 PM »
I don't think it's a situation that's easily defined. The process of cooking fish obviously makes it difficult to enforce many of the regs and I don't think there's a very good solution. I think you are fine as long as you're polite and cooperative.

Offline RuralMT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Jan 24, 2018, 05:52 PM »
Hopefully someone can obtain a concrete answer to this.  Came across this video the other evening.  The fellas in the video assumed a surf-and-turf meal on the ice was within Ohio regulations, as they'd partaken in such meals in other Great Lake states and even in Ontario...but such was not the case in Ohio.  A member of their group was handed a $90 citation.  Leaving it up to a warden's discretion seems a bit risky!

On a side note, regarding wardens...I had the pleasure of being checked by the Flathead County warden last weekend on Lower Stillwater of all places.  I was definitely in panic mode, as I'd left my license in my fly-fishing vest and made the terrible assumption that there was little chance of the warden showing up there.  Anyway, he couldn't have been a nicer guy and was willing to give me every opportunity to prove that I had a license.  He took my name and ALS number and tried to check via radio (couldn't get a response) and then asked if I had a photo of my license on my phone.  After digging through all of my photos I found a picture which, according to that warden at least, suffices.  Will I rely on that photo in the future? Not a chance, but it's good to know it can work in a pinch.

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #24 on: Jan 24, 2018, 06:40 PM »
that's great info RuralMT and a good tip...just in case:)

Offline RuralMT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Jan 24, 2018, 08:37 PM »
Happy to help.  This forum's provided me a wealth of information over the past two seasons (my first two on the ice), figured I'd return the favor with whatever advice I can provide...however little, haha.

Offline PerchPounderMT

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Jan 25, 2018, 08:33 AM »
Unless they put it in writing that it is acceptable you wouldnt be able to fight the ticket in court,not worth it in my book.Wasnt there a post in here a few years back about someone getting written up for filleting perch on CF?
Dont ask

Offline MTviking

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Jan 25, 2018, 03:55 PM »
Unless they put it in writing that it is acceptable you wouldnt be able to fight the ticket in court,not worth it in my book.Wasnt there a post in here a few years back about someone getting written up for filleting perch on CF?

Not True... The fact that it is not specifically written to be not acceptable would help you in court.  Mr. Prosecuter... Please show me the clear cut written law that I broke.  If they cannot show you the written law in the regulations that you violated, it's pretty much case dismissed.

For the most part.  Laws do not tell you what you can do but rather what you cannot do.

Offline PerchPounderMT

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Jan 25, 2018, 04:20 PM »
You better have deep pockets if you thing your getting out of any wildlife violation.It is specifically written that your fish must remain WHOLE.Thats all they need.
Dont ask

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.