Author Topic: Jigging for cusk  (Read 2534 times)

Offline Digs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Jigging for cusk
« on: Jan 18, 2018, 10:29 PM »
 So me and some buddies are going to try jigging for cusk tomorrow night. We have a spot where we think they live. What time frame works best for you guys anyone find a time of night that works better than others or do they kinda come in whenever and eat and run
Every fish is a good fish!

Offline dennisg34

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Love to fish!
Re: Jigging for cusk
« Reply #1 on: Jan 19, 2018, 04:55 AM »
So me and some buddies are going to try jigging for cusk tomorrow night. We have a spot where we think they live. What time frame works best for you guys anyone find a time of night that works better than others or do they kinda come in whenever and eat and run

I personally never have, but when I've looked this up myself they say between 6-9pm is a good time.

Offline swnoel

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 19, 2018, 05:22 AM »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but last time I knew jigging or bobbing for cusk is illegal in NH! Did thew law change?

Offline fullerbn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 19, 2018, 05:35 AM »
Correct me if I'm wrong, but last time I knew jigging or bobbing for cusk is illegal in NH! Did thew law change?

I talked at length last year with my local CO and it is not illegal.

Offline dennisg34

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Love to fish!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 19, 2018, 05:55 AM »

This comes up every year. Not sure why people think this is illegal as there is no mention of it in the law book

Offline swnoel

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 19, 2018, 06:02 AM »
Maybe this is why people still believe it's illegal... it's on their website!!!

http://www.wildlife.state.nh.us/fishing/cusk-line.html
http://www.wildlife.state.nh.us/fishing/cusk-fishing.html

The usual method employed by anglers is night fishing with cusk lines. A cusk fishing line is defined as a device for storing line, which is not free running and will hold enough Dacron or squidding line to reach bottom in the area chosen to fish. The angler's name and address must be plainly marked on each device. On the business end, you must have a sinker or weight one ounce or heavier (if using 1 oz. sinker, must be lead-free), and not more than six inches above the single, baited hook. Each angler is allowed six of these cusk devices and the specificied angler must check them by visually inspecting the bait end of the line, at least once every 24-hour period. Sound confusing? It isn't really, considering this method is a "throwback" to earlier times when limits and methods for angling did not exist. Furthermore, the angler is prohibited from "jigging" or "bobbing" this cusk line in order to attract fish.

Offline swnoel

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 19, 2018, 06:12 AM »
This is the RSA

Fis 405.04  Cusk Fishing.

(a)  In addition to angling and ice fishing, cusk may be taken through the ice by the use of a cusk fishing device as follows:

(1)  All cusk fishing devices shall be plainly marked with the name and address of the person setting, using and having control of it;

(2)  The sinker of the cusk fishing device shall rest on the bottom of the waterbody being fished;

(3)  A person fishing for cusk through the ice with cusk fishing devices,  may set such devices and leave them unattended except that once during each 24 hour period said person shall visually inspect the bait end of the line; and

(4)  While fishing with a cusk fishing device, the activity of "bobbing," "jigging," or any activity so as to attract fish by movement of the bait by the user shall be prohibited.

(5)  Cusk fishing devices shall only be used in:

a.  First Connecticut Lake in Pittsburg;

b.  Second Connecticut Lake in Pittsburg;

c.  Third Connecticut Lake in Pittsburg;

d.  Lake Francis in Pittsburg;

e.  Newfound Lake in Bristol, Alexandria, Bridgewater, and Hebron;

f.  Silver Lake in Madison;

g.  Big Squam Lake in Holderness, Center Harbor, Sandwich, Moultonboro;

h.  Little Squam Lake in Holderness, Ashland;

i.  South Pond in Stark;

j.  Sunapee Lake in Newbury, New London, Sunapee;

k.  Wentworth Lake in Wolfeboro;

l.  Lake Winnipesaukee in Alton, Center Harbor, Gilford, Laconia, Meredith, Moultonboro, Tuftonboro, and Wolfeboro;

m.  Winnisquam Lake in Belmont, Sanbornton, Laconia, Tilton, and Meredith;

n. Merrymeeting Lake in New Durham;

o  Waukewan Lake in Meredith;

p.  Lovell Lake in Wakefield;

q.  Wentworth Lake in Wolfeboro; and

r.  Ossipee Lake in Freedom and Ossipee.

(b)  Any fish other than cusk taken on a cusk fishing device shall be immediately liberated by cutting the line without removing the fish from the water.

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 19, 2018, 06:14 AM »
Maybe this is why people still believe it's illegal... it's on their website!!!

http://www.wildlife.state.nh.us/fishing/cusk-line.html
http://www.wildlife.state.nh.us/fishing/cusk-fishing.html

After the 6 cusk lines are set then the “2 trap” law takes effect...you can jig 2 lines or set 2 tip ups for any species in the water body. The way I see it.
The usual method employed by anglers is night fishing with cusk lines. A cusk fishing line is defined as a device for storing line, which is not free running and will hold enough Dacron or squidding line to reach bottom in the area chosen to fish. The angler's name and address must be plainly marked on each device. On the business end, you must have a sinker or weight one ounce or heavier (if using 1 oz. sinker, must be lead-free), and not more than six inches above the single, baited hook. Each angler is allowed six of these cusk devices and the specificied angler must check them by visually inspecting the bait end of the line, at least once every 24-hour period. Sound confusing? It isn't really, considering this method is a "throwback" to earlier times when limits and methods for angling did not exist. Furthermore, the angler is prohibited from "jigging" or "bobbing" this cusk line in order to attract fish.

Offline Hottuna5150

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 19, 2018, 06:24 AM »
That is strictly with regard to cusk lines Or “cusk fishing devices”. The set lines themselves may not be jigged or bobbed as I have always understood it.
Perhaps I should not have been a fisherman, he thought. But that was the thing that I was born for.
-Ernest Hemingway

Offline swnoel

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 19, 2018, 06:41 AM »
This is digs question...So me and some buddies are going to try jigging for cusk tomorrow night. We have a spot where we think they live. What time frame works best for you guys anyone find a time of night that works better than others or do they kinda come in whenever and eat and run

Not trying to bust anyone's balls just trying to find out if jigging was still illegal for cusk!
It appears it's still ILLEGAL to bob or jig for cusk...

Offline swnoel

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 19, 2018, 06:47 AM »

You are correct in that 2 ice fishing traps are allowed after the 6 cusk devices... keep in mind that fishing for trout at night is illegal. This does not mean you can't fish crappies or perch.
At one time you could not use a live fish on a cusk trap... apparently that must have been repealed, I can not find that.

Offline HuntnFish603

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If I can hunt it, or fish it....I'M THERE!
« Reply #11 on: Jan 19, 2018, 06:47 AM »
It is only ILLEGAL to jig for cusk using a dedicated "cusk fishing device".
It is LEGAL to jig for cusk using any other device such as a jig rod. Day or night.
- In every walk with nature, every hunt, every fishing trip....one receives far more than he seeks.

Offline swnoel

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 19, 2018, 06:59 AM »
It is only ILLEGAL to jig for cusk using a dedicated "cusk fishing device".
It is LEGAL to jig for cusk using any other device such as a jig rod. Day or night.

You are correct I should have specified using cusk devices! Thanks That would clarify why the wardens would say it is not illegal.

Offline suckerbait

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 19, 2018, 07:15 AM »
I do all right jigging from dark until 9:00, but that is when I most often fish. My best success has been the two hours before first light. I spent a good amount of time jigging them last year and found a glow buckshot spoon baited with a piece of shiner or sucker worked best. When changing the hooks to the necessary single I recommend going slightly bigger then you would for lakers. I think the noise of the buckshot spoon makes a big difference.

Offline dennisg34

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Love to fish!
« Reply #14 on: Jan 19, 2018, 07:35 AM »

Offline Mr.Harry

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Jan 19, 2018, 08:01 AM »
They seem to show up or start feeding aggressively right around the close of trout hours. In my experience. I’ve never jigged for them through the duration of night so not sure when it slows down exactly, but have read that it does. Maybe after 10pmish. Just what i’ve Read. Of course, i’ve seen a couple big ones that were hooked up on traps in the middle of the day, but I don’t know how common that is.

Offline nixstyx

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 19, 2018, 08:09 AM »
I thought this might be the year nobody claims jigging cusk is illegal. I was wrong again.

Anyway I've always found them most active a few hours after sunset and a few before sunrise. I've had less luck jigging in the middle of the night ... But they do keep biting.

Try things that glow and or rattle.

Offline bassin212

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Jan 19, 2018, 08:12 AM »
I actually spoke to a CO last week about all of this. He said usually the best bite is about an hour after dark and then typically it dies off around 10 but really depends on the bite. He also recommended chuming and moving often. He also mentioned "if you're not getting bit, move" he said their not finicky and if they're there, they will bite. He said 9/10 they will bite live bait better and even recommended putting 2 medium sized shiners on the same hook so they struggle against each other. He eplained the live bait works better because they're moving and cusk use the barbels way more than their sense of smell. Good luck! Let us know how you do.
Tight Lines!

Offline Digs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Jan 19, 2018, 11:28 AM »
This is digs question...So me and some buddies are going to try jigging for cusk tomorrow night. We have a spot where we think they live. What time frame works best for you guys anyone find a time of night that works better than others or do they kinda come in whenever and eat and run

Not trying to bust anyone's balls just trying to find out if jigging was still illegal for cusk!
It appears it's still ILLEGAL to bob or jig for cusk...
It is illegal to jig a set cusk trap. Not to jig for cusk with a regular jig rod.

Offline Digs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Jan 19, 2018, 11:29 AM »
Thanks for all the info!! I'll post up how we did

Offline Digs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Jan 19, 2018, 10:51 PM »
So me and a buddy went out tonight...... We got on the ice around 6ish we jigged for awhile and got 1 nice one around 715.  Stayed for another 45 and then set a bunch of cusk lines and hit the bar for a cigar and a beer. We are going out again early tomorrow too for some Laker fun! I tried posting a picture through that link but it wouldn't load.

Offline Digs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Jan 19, 2018, 11:08 PM »
https://photos.app.goo.gl/l7rVtBCaT9zg3bpf2
Not sure if this works but it did when I previewed it

Offline zwiggles

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Jan 19, 2018, 11:15 PM »

I can see it, looks like a nice one!

Offline ScotNH

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Jan 20, 2018, 05:45 AM »

That looks like a nice one, congrats! I bet you’ll have a few more on the cusk traps this morning.

Offline YT125

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Jan 20, 2018, 07:34 AM »
Good looking fish, I’m sure it will eat well

Offline zwiggles

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Jan 20, 2018, 10:37 PM »
Went out tonight with a few friends “cusking” for the first time. It was a great success in my book, we got 6 cusk for chowder tomorrow from 530-930. Tipped jigs worked for us with pimples leading the way.

Offline JDSLEDDER

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Jan 21, 2018, 10:04 AM »
Nice job!

Offline zwiggles

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Jan 21, 2018, 12:16 PM »

Thanks!

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Jan 21, 2018, 12:33 PM »
Yum!
Got a couple of these and 2 lakers waiting for the family to show for the Pats game...then we fry!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.