Author Topic: Best Color Flashlight Bulb for Night Walleye Fishing  (Read 1103 times)

Offline cutler331

• IceShanty Rookie
Best Color Flashlight Bulb for Night Walleye Fishing
« on: Jan 24, 2018, 03:53 PM »
Hey Guys,

I am trying to figure out what color bulb is the best to use not to spook walleye when setting up tip ups / jigging. I have heard a few things about using a red bulb. Is green good too? Hoping to get out to Gardner's again this weekend. Thanks!  :tipup:

Offline jchunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Best Color Flashlight Bulb for Night Walleye Fishing
« Reply #1 on: Jan 24, 2018, 04:15 PM »
I say green. The reason I say this is because, my friend and I fish river walleyes in the spring at night when they move shallow and feed. Shallow enough to see their eyes glow. When I used a red light they didn't seem to like it and swim away. My buddy had a green light and they seemed less bothered by it. For him they would slowly swim by and not freak out. My red light they would tend to scatter.

These are my observations and others may vary, but when I use a light now it's green.
When I set Tip-ups I'll use the white light if I need to see better. But I try not to shine it down the hole. If there is good snow cover the color of light probably don't matter much as long as it's not directed down the hole.

Offline thndrvlly

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 24, 2018, 06:55 PM »
That’s interesting, I’ve always used red, never put much thought to it. Thanks for sharing that. I’ll still use red.

Offline octanehi5

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Work was made for people who can't fish, I'm retir
« Reply #3 on: Jan 24, 2018, 07:04 PM »
Red or green never white through the ice,and be vewy vewy quiet.Walleye react very different in open water,as light reflects differently on ice

Offline KUBES90

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hog Livin'
« Reply #4 on: Jan 24, 2018, 08:01 PM »
Don't get caught up on light. If you are on the fish and set up right, an occasional flashlight will not affect you that much. Finding the right spots to fish is key.
"And I'll be catching them northern pike like on a 10 pound test"- Kid Rock

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.