Author Topic: Best Hitch for Jet Sled (or similar sled)???  (Read 6000 times)

Offline defiant1

• Team IceShanty Regular
Best Hitch for Jet Sled (or similar sled)???
« on: Jan 18, 2018, 07:47 AM »
Okay, I have a Jet Sled 1 version sled.  It is 54" long and 25" wide.  I installed wear bears under sled.  I attached a Shappell universal hitch to tow sled behind ATV.   Last weekend I was towing the sled behind ATV on a lake that was spotted with snow drifts.  I would be going along and when the sled got a little crooked on the ice and eventually hit a snow drift (or raised ice patch) the wear bears seemingly would grab the snow drift and flip the sled over.  The universal hitch has a joint at the attachment point that allows 360 degree rotation, so this did not help either. 

I dragged a couple of fish finders and other ice fishing equipment on its "head" several times and had my stuff scattered across the lake.  In one instance, the wind pushed the sled on the ice (while I was driving with the wind) around to the side of the ATV where my rear tire grabbed the hitch and rotated it up and wedged it under my rear fender. :%$#!:

So, that day was a $h!t show from the git go... 

What recommendations do you have for a hitch to pull a sled?  The sled itself is not very heavy when loaded (which may contribute to it flipping so easy).  With all my gear (two buckets, 2 fish finders, chair, spud bar, tackle box, fishing rod box and propane tank), I can pick up the whole sled by myself and place it in the back of the pickup.

Any advice and practical experience would be appreciated.

d1

Offline FG Steve

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Best Hitch for Jet Sled (or similar sled)???
« Reply #1 on: Jan 18, 2018, 07:53 AM »
Sorry for your trouble.

I'm not gonna be much help, because I use Shappell HD hitches to pull my Jet Sled XLs and I think that's the best hitch out there.  I used hitches for years that didn't allow the rotation, and if I got in a bad situation with a tipped sled, they just made things worse by bending the hitch tab on my snowmobile.  Maybe the larger sled and bigger load are making a difference.

I'll be watching the replies with interest.
 Happiness is a wife who can outfish you.

Offline fishinagain

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 18, 2018, 08:34 AM »
I have heard of guys dragging some heavy chain behind a sled on glare ice to help. Otherwise maybe attaching some type of block to the back of the sled with a piece of angle iron or something similar that will have enough weight on a point to keep it tracking well. It wouldn't take much contact to be effective, but it would need to be rigid.
Pure Michigan

TEAM MITTEN

Offline defiant1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 18, 2018, 08:55 AM »
Sorry for your trouble.

I'm not gonna be much help, because I use Shappell HD hitches to pull my Jet Sled XLs and I think that's the best hitch out there.  I used hitches for years that didn't allow the rotation, and if I got in a bad situation with a tipped sled, they just made things worse by bending the hitch tab on my snowmobile.  Maybe the larger sled and bigger load are making a difference.

I'll be watching the replies with interest.

The Shappell HD definitely looks better constructed.  How does it attach to the sled?  By J hooks? Or does it bolt to the sled directly? I was looking at the Eskimo brand tow bar: http://www.geteskimo.com/universal-tow-hitch

Thanks for the feedback.

Offline FG Steve

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 18, 2018, 12:47 PM »
How does it attach to the sled?  By J hooks? Or does it bolt to the sled directly?

I would call them open eye bolts--more closed than a J. The prescribed install puts the opening at the top, so you angle the hitch steeply toward the sky to attach or remove.  It seemed odd to me until I tried it and it has worked well.  I seem to recall that the install instructions were on the box, not tucked inside or available for download.

I was looking at the Eskimo brand tow bar: http://www.geteskimo.com/universal-tow-hitch

I like that the Shappell stores compactly but in one piece.  It looks like a choice between the inconvenience of the Eskimo brackets on the side of the sled or the Shappell bolts on the front.  I put a pad between my Jet Sled XLs when storing them, to avoid any minor damage from the bolts.

If you like, I could take and post some pics of the Shapell install after work tonight.  Lemme know.
 Happiness is a wife who can outfish you.

Offline RStock521

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 18, 2018, 01:06 PM »
Check out the Otter hitch kit.  It's very heavy duty, and they sell universal sled adapters pretty inexpensively.

Offline defiant1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 18, 2018, 02:25 PM »
If you like, I could take and post some pics of the Shapell install after work tonight.  Lemme know.

Thanks for the offer, but no need for you to post pics.  It sounds like it mounts the same as the universal Shappell tow bar I have now.  Thanks again.

Offline defiant1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Oct 04, 2018, 09:21 AM »
Bump... Looking for any more advice before I start getting my ice gear ready for the season.

d1

Offline defiant1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Oct 15, 2018, 07:44 AM »
Bump...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.