Author Topic: Best ice fishing radio  (Read 2748 times)

Offline Rando5512

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I'd rather go fishin'!
Best ice fishing radio
« on: Jan 17, 2018, 06:03 PM »
This has been a struggle for me for many years. I've tried numerous crank radios, that just haven't cut the mustard. Antennas break, batteries die quickly. Trying to find a very portable, dependable radio that works well in the cold. Suggestions please??

Offline Jiggedy_jig

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Best ice fishing radio
« Reply #1 on: Jan 17, 2018, 06:48 PM »
I use a small cheap Bluetooth speaker and my phone or iPod. If it dies I just use the car charger
Paul

Offline Hottuna5150

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 17, 2018, 07:09 PM »
Hit this issue myself. I think since I’m already running the k-drill I might just get the Milwaukee radio since the charger can charge both m18 and m12 batteries. Steep price but I’m sick of getting a season or less out of a radio
Perhaps I should not have been a fisherman, he thought. But that was the thing that I was born for.
-Ernest Hemingway

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 17, 2018, 07:36 PM »
Hit this issue myself. I think since I’m already running the k-drill I might just get the Milwaukee radio since the charger can charge both m18 and m12 batteries. Steep price but I’m sick of getting a season or less out of a radio

I've been tempted to get one of those Milwaukee radio's myself, they look nice. I have been using my phone and a small Bluetooth speaker.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline Hottuna5150

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 17, 2018, 07:54 PM »
I've been tempted to get one of those Milwaukee radio's myself, they look nice. I have been using my phone and a small Bluetooth speaker.

Yeah I’ve used my phone also but boy the battery seems to go fast.
Perhaps I should not have been a fisherman, he thought. But that was the thing that I was born for.
-Ernest Hemingway

Offline celtbass

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 17, 2018, 08:46 PM »
I have an older version of this. not the most sophisticated radio you'll find.... but cheap, simple, pocket size, and batteries seem to last forever. It spends 3 months on the ice and never let's me down, just wish it was a digital tuner

http://m.kmart.com/sony-portable-am-fm-radio-icfp26-black-tvs-electronics/p-SPM7884920423
Let it freeze

Offline Running for flags

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 17, 2018, 08:51 PM »
I’m doing the phone with Bluetooth speaker and as for battery I just bring along a battery bank
Wait there's ice????

Offline meatandmetal

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 18, 2018, 06:27 AM »
This is what I use decent reception small in size and long battery life I even leave it out in the cold. There is also a pocket radio not sure how that would work but is small & light.  https://www.target.com/p/jensen-am-fm-portable-radio-black-mr-550-bk/-/A-14740474?lnk=search.
https://www.target.com/p/jensen-174-am-fm-pocket-radio-black/-/A-50023042#lnk=sametab,

this one has an MP3 & iPOD input similar to above. https://www.staples.com/studebaker-sb2000bg-portable-am-fm-radio-black/product_2442967?cid=PS:GooglePLAs:2442967&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=2442967&KPID=2442967&cvosrc=PLA.google-SALE

How's the fishing been this week?

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 18, 2018, 06:56 AM »
Yeah I’ve used my phone also but boy the battery seems to go fast.

Maybe bring a portable battery charger? I have a Samsung S7 Edge and I can listen to bluetooth music for 12-16 hours no problem. My snowmobile can charge phones though, I have a USB port wired in.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 18, 2018, 07:15 AM »
Ridgid drill for my auger...

Ridgid radio FM,AM, small, light, runs on the same batteries as my auger... Antenna is a stubby, job site proof type.. Can play my phone through it too.. Digital tuner, and plenty loud enough for ice and jobs...

Good luck!

<°)))>{

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 18, 2018, 07:25 AM »
This is the best option IMHO! only $30, small, great reception, weatherband, built in flashlight, tough and water resistant!

http://www.cabelas.com/product/La-Crosse-Handheld-AM-FM-NOAA-Weather-Radio/1435335.uts?slotId=0
Where's the FISH?!

Offline burgerunh

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 18, 2018, 07:50 AM »
I always bring this bluetooth with me on the ice:  It cranks and is cheap enough.

https://www.amazon.com/Portable-Bluetooth-Subwoofer-Charging-Microphone/dp/B00I9ICVZW

I can plug my phone charger into it and keep my phone charged all day as well.  Works out really well.  For music I either use Pandora Radio (free) or Spotify (pd subscription)

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #12 on: Jan 18, 2018, 08:19 AM »
jbl bt speakers are great! jbl is same as infinity. get the water proof jbl charge 2.

if you need radio channel the newer android phones have fm in them now (again) and you have to use a speaker cable to the speaker because that becomes the antenna too. i quit using radio years ago. too much talk and not enough music and it's always the same music. mp3 is where it's at for me. i carry 2400 mp3's.

no problems with batteries at all. if i were to have them, my marcum lithium shuttle would charge them.

Offline PoolGuy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hello my name is Bill and I'm an ice fisherman !!
« Reply #13 on: Jan 18, 2018, 08:46 AM »
This is the best option IMHO! only $30, small, great reception, weatherband, built in flashlight, tough and water resistant!

http://www.cabelas.com/product/La-Crosse-Handheld-AM-FM-NOAA-Weather-Radio/1435335.uts?slotId=0

Looks like a good radio, that fact that it’s waterproof is nice
I just want to go ice fishing and ignore my adult problems

Offline Brownbagger247

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 18, 2018, 09:02 AM »
I've got a Small Bosch work radio that runs off my 18v drill batteries.. Holds a charge even in the cold and even more convenient if you're already bringing one for a drill auger.

That rigid one IceScratcher posted also looks nice and even smaller than mine..

Only downside is the cost.

Can't miss the Sunday morning radio telephone flea market for a good laugh!
How's the ice they all ask? "I’ll tell you what, you can get a good look at a t-bone by sticking your head up a bull’s butt, but I’d rather take the butcher’s word for it."

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 18, 2018, 09:07 AM »
Remember too...

For those about to rock....

When you have a radio on the ice, around others...

Don't be one of "those guys"!!!

When a good song (like Metallica) comes up, at least share, crank it up for all to enjoy!

<°)))>{

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Jan 18, 2018, 09:19 AM »
Looks like a good radio, that fact that it’s waterproof is nice

I don't think it is waterproof..........................but if you get a little rain on it or you splash some water on it, you should be ok. But if it gets submerged in water, you might be in trouble!
Where's the FISH?!

Offline PoolGuy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hello my name is Bill and I'm an ice fisherman !!
« Reply #17 on: Jan 18, 2018, 10:59 AM »
I don't think it is waterproof..........................but if you get a little rain on it or you splash some water on it, you should be ok. But if it gets submerged in water, you might be in trouble!
Your right it’s not waterproof ???    but still not a bad radio for the price. I guess too depending on how you want to listen to your music will depend on what you wan.   small Bluetooth speakers are great. Then comes the question of power... I’ve seen on sites where guys are building portable power boxes that have 2-3 12V batteries wired in series to run led lights, USB ports, and their fish finders etc..
I just want to go ice fishing and ignore my adult problems

Offline Pail Rider

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Jan 18, 2018, 06:53 PM »

I went this route and am happy I did.

Offline Nitro16

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 19, 2018, 04:41 AM »
I picked up an Eton emergency radio a few years ago. Battery lasts up to 30 hours (rechargeable) has emergency crank if it were to die and has a flashlight as well. Works great on the ice and it's only $20-30 depending on which one you get
Born to fish, forced to work....

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.