Author Topic: toe warmers,do they work?  (Read 2914 times)

Offline mrjohnny

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • to cold for me to fish..i'm packin up
toe warmers,do they work?
« on: Jan 17, 2018, 11:26 AM »
FRom my other post you know I'm fighting this cold toe issue.
yesterday I got some wool insoles..while removing snow this
morning my toes still got freaking cold..i need to get out and
do some ice fishing..not happy...
so do these toe warmers really work? the ones I got at farm
supply say air activated..other I have seen(hand warmers)
say to shake them..anyway have you guys tried them and
if so how did they work..damn tired of trying differet boots..

too cold ....aint going out there..

Offline JDH46151

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: toe warmers,do they work?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 17, 2018, 11:30 AM »
I use them while duck hunting.  They work good enough for me that my toes don't get too cold.  They don't exactly keep them warm but its enough to keep them from aching.

Offline walpy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 17, 2018, 11:32 AM »
I find that they do work (open them 30 min before you get to the lake) but only last for 5 hours or so.

They also make full-foot sized ones but they seem to work for 4 hours tops. I go through 2 sets of toes and 3 sets of hands every trip out. I have bad circulation. But keep them going and they can help a lot.

Also if theres a pic - I cant see it, dang work firewalls  ::)

Offline Jesse yourich

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 17, 2018, 11:36 AM »
muck boots in my opinion, i do believe the dont sell them by thinsulate but by negative degree weather. i do know they go down to -60 degree, i wear a regular pair of socks and wool socks over them and im golden. i have an off brand actually gander mountain brand and mine are 750 thinsulate

Offline fishercat

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hard water or soft water just let me fish
« Reply #4 on: Jan 17, 2018, 11:39 AM »
They are worth trying ,work for me plowing snow in a open tractor.

Offline JonPerry

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 17, 2018, 11:52 AM »
I use them on stand during deer hunting. A hand warmer in each boot lasts roughly 8 hours. I buy them by the box to get a better deal.

Offline jimhaney08

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jan 17, 2018, 12:33 PM »
I use them and like them.  I put them on once I get to the lake (don't want my feet sweating on the long ride there).  I put them on over my inner sock (thin and moisture wicking) then put my heavy wool sock on after that.  They seem to last a long time for me that way.  6+ hours.

I use the YakTrax brand.  Happy with them, but haven't really experimented with other brands to compare. 

https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/p/yaktrax-adhesive-toe-warmer-10-packs-16ykxutwrmr10pckbhua/16ykxutwrmr10pckbhua?camp=CSE:DSG_pg41743_ecom_PLA_4 52&gclid=CjwKCAiAhfzSBRBTEiwAN-ysWF_pYQP5i32tJfmD4feG0urkn9_JlwIlccfCdnhE_mjkl0SGcpi9sBoCfGEQAvD_BwE
My Setup:  Otter XL sled on a smitty.  10" Strikemaster Lithium 50 Volt auger.  Clam Bigfoot XL 2000 hub.  Garmin Striker 5 Ice Bundle.

Offline 4eyeman

• IceShanty Rookie
  • eyes are king
« Reply #7 on: Jan 17, 2018, 01:20 PM »
I use them all the time. Couldn't fish without them. Always had problems before I started using them.

Offline mrjohnny

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 17, 2018, 01:23 PM »
muck boots in my opinion, i do believe the dont sell them by thinsulate but by negative degree weather. i do know they go down to -60 degree, i wear a regular pair of socks and wool socks over them and im golden. i have an off brand actually gander mountain brand and mine are 750 thinsulate

muck----that's what I have  artic muck  plus the black mickey mouse boots.....and wool socks...

Offline warren53

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 17, 2018, 01:26 PM »
Try them I think you will like them, they take the edge off.

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 17, 2018, 01:27 PM »
are they loose fitting boots or tight? having a tight toe box will always leave you with cold toes

I use alpaca socks and alpaca insoles in uninsulated boots and it takes a lot of hours on the ice in <10 degree weather before my feet get cold

Catchin' Fish

Offline IFF

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jan 17, 2018, 01:29 PM »
Sounds like a circulation problem  :unsure:
Bud

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #12 on: Jan 17, 2018, 01:36 PM »
I use the toe warmers and they work. I do spring for the better brand, the cheap ones only work 50% of the time...

Offline 1moslab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jan 17, 2018, 01:46 PM »
.       So the toe warmers do work in the mucks???

Offline mrjohnny

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Jan 17, 2018, 01:58 PM »
Sounds like a circulation problem  :unsure:

I suppose  being diabetic...

Offline Mrpike1973

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 17, 2018, 03:36 PM »
I like em I use them when it's colder than 10 degrees sure helps

Offline ByteN2it

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 17, 2018, 03:42 PM »
I bought a big pack of the Hot Hands foot warmers that cover the whole insole, not just the toe, for the wife & put some in my boots & they were great. I'll keep using them rather than mess with the expensive battery powered insoles.
" The Green Hornet's caught more fish than you've lied about Gustafson ! "

Offline iloveacrappiedinner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jan 18, 2018, 08:21 AM »
I use the YakTrax ones and they work well. But more importantly I've found that bringing an extra seat cushion or one of those kneeling pads used for gardening to put on the ice under your boots makes a WORLD of difference. Just that 1" of insulation between the ice and your boots is amazing. Combine that with the stick on toe warmers and I was out in -10 deg for 6 hours and my feet never got cold. I was frozen, but my toes were good  :P

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #19 on: Jan 18, 2018, 12:53 PM »
are they loose fitting boots or tight? having a tight toe box will always leave you with cold toes

I use alpaca socks and alpaca insoles in uninsulated boots and it takes a lot of hours on the ice in <10 degree weather before my feet get cold
X2!
You TOTALLY need loose fitting boots! That air space around your feet is what keeps them warm.
PLUS -
A warm pair of bibs to keep your legs warm. If your legs get cold feeling, your feet will soon be cold. That blood heading down to your feet has to pass through warm legs to keep your feet warm.
If your WHOLE body is warm your hands and feet are warm too.

:tipup:
Lobes

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

Offline desmobob

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I can't feel my toes...
« Reply #20 on: Jan 18, 2018, 02:34 PM »
I use them and like them a lot.  They work as well as the hand warmers but only last about six hours; I usually get close to eight with the hand warmers.  I buy a bulk box of HotHands or Grabber brand hand and toe warmers at the beginning of the winter.  Good for tree stand hunting late in the fall, too.

Tight lines,
Bob

Offline nocod

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Jan 18, 2018, 09:11 PM »
X2!
You TOTALLY need loose fitting boots! That air space around your feet is what keeps them warm.
PLUS -
A warm pair of bibs to keep your legs warm. If your legs get cold feeling, your feet will soon be cold. That blood heading down to your feet has to pass through warm legs to keep your feet warm.
If your WHOLE body is warm your hands and feet are warm too.

:tipup:
Lobes
totally agree about loose boots.

Offline mrjohnny

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Jan 19, 2018, 06:42 AM »
Be finally getting out today,so I will try the toe warmers even though the temps are a little
warmer..Want to get out befor the warm spell might screw with the ice..

Offline aquarium234

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Jan 19, 2018, 07:43 AM »
I use the thermacell rechargeable foot insoles, work good, can turn them on and off as needed, THey self regulate so they don't just cook your feet light the air operated ones. Before that I just tucked m;y hand warmer shack up verson under my toes when they got chilly :-), IF there not heating up with the disposable just leave them out for a few minutes to get a good dose of oxygen thenput them back in and then they will heat up for you.
Hope it works out for you
Its all fun and games until someone loses a walleye.......

Offline kc_

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • formerly known as ljc2tall, aka kc on mff
« Reply #24 on: Jan 19, 2018, 09:06 AM »
I use the chemical HAND (not toe) warmers in my waders when steelhead fishing in the winter. The key is to open them up a half an hour before you put them in your socks. I usually open a pack up at 8:30am. They are still warm when I get home at 5:30pm.
 Walmart sells a 10 pack of hand warmers for 5.00. I was able to pick some up a few years back for 1.00 for a box of 10.

Offline Eaglecrg

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Jan 19, 2018, 03:46 PM »
I use them all the time.  I don't put them under my toes though, I stick them to the top of my sock before I put the boot on.  The trick is to find boots that allow room for the toe poppers but don't restrict toe movement.  I NEVER get cold feet when I'm using them, whether on the ice or in the deer stand.

Offline DrewFlu33

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Jan 19, 2018, 03:59 PM »
I use the thermacell rechargeable foot insoles, work good, can turn them on and off as needed, THey self regulate so they don't just cook your feet light the air operated ones. Before that I just tucked m;y hand warmer shack up verson under my toes when they got chilly :-), IF there not heating up with the disposable just leave them out for a few minutes to get a good dose of oxygen thenput them back in and then they will heat up for you.
Hope it works out for you

This is what I've gone to.  Not cheap, but very effective!

Offline mrjohnny

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Jan 19, 2018, 05:11 PM »
got out on the lake today,finally...
landed 13 big gills..toes stayed pretty
comfortable...with the toe warmers..
but it wasn't as cold as it had been..
wore regular socks in my muck boots.
but did take a pair of wool ones along...

Offline jbird68

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Jan 20, 2018, 06:24 AM »
I used to use the toe warmers but after they quit working they get hard.  Then they hurt walking back to the truck pulling my sled. Now I use the full length foot warmers and they keep my feet warm.
jbird68

Offline Foxzyk

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Jan 28, 2018, 08:13 PM »
Battery powered heated socks. Have never used anything else, never have let me down, never have cold feet.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.